ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire Sale on the Horizon???

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Orakpophobia
Freshman
And1: 0

Fire Sale on the Horizon??? 

Post#1 » by Orakpophobia » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

With Ted Leonsis set to become the Wizards majority owner, is it more likely this team will opt for the "fire sale" route?

I remember when the NHL feared that a new CBA wouldn't be reached in time for the 04-05 season. In 03-04, the Capitals were initially regarded as a contender, but played poorly early on and never recovered. They would up trading away most of their star players (Jagr, Bondra, Gonchar, Lang, etc) and opted to rebuild.

I know the NBA already has a cap and a CBA, but can see a similarity this season in that the NBA cap is very likely to drop quite a bit next year. We have an underperforming team and some bad contracts. I could easily see Ted and EG (or another GM) positioning themselves for an all-out rebuild.

As I mentioned in the Arenas thread, I think the ability to void Arenas' contract will set this thing in motion. I, personally, would not be opposed to this plan. Clean house and build around cheap, young talent. Keep our draft picks, acquire more with our current vets, and actually draft and develop players. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and win the lottery as the Caps did back then and we can rebuild around John Wall. If we cannot void Gilbert's deal, then things get much trickier...
"With Dray, Greg, Gil and Shaun out there, the ball movement would be commensurate with going commando on a roller coaster." ~Hoopalotta

Return to Washington Wizards