PF 2.6
OFF 0.2
DEF 3.0
TOT 3.2
AST 7.8
PTS 18.2
SPI 0

The stats speak for themselves.
That is true .. 1/4 against some very mediocre competition.

Fair, but I don't think our squad is in any position to call any competition mediocre.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Re: How do we like Foye the PG? 

Post#22 » by verbal8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:08 am

I think Foye at PG is a lot like the Redskins with Jason Campbell. Neither of them are something you can win a championship with. However for the short term there are bigger areas of need for both teams.

I agree with the others who say that Foye's ideal role is as a 3rd guard. Basically a cheaper version of Ben Gordon.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#23 » by Hoopalotta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:22 am

I'm liking Foye pretty well.

I think it's going to be one of those things this summer where it comes down to the contract. Are we going to be looking at a situation where we'd sign him to a deal and then he's an asset that other teams are interested in long term or would it go the other way?

If we're looking at a reasonable deal, I would say sign him, especially if we cut ties with Arenas. You really have to look at him from value and development standpoints with a rebuild as much as talent. We need to be marginally competitive and we need some kind of positive veteran presence. Need. We also might plug rookies in at all kinds of positions, so Foye's ability to play two spots is an advantage. A consistently positive guy with good practice habits is an advantage. A point guard who shoots a lot of 22' jumpers off the dribble is not so much an advantage. But can he help teach a bit? Mentor? Make practices better? Those are important questions that I'd like to know the answer to.

But with what I know now, keep him on a good deal? Sure, why not? I take Foye to be a foxhole guy in addition to anything else we want to say about him. He strikes me as very professional and sincere; about the least likely guy to be caught in a hot tub with a pair of cheap hookers.

I'm looking for a point guard who can help us win 20-25 games with about 20 blowout losses, but who'll protect us against 12 wins and 60 blowout losses; if things get bad enough, a developmental situation don't develop, and just stews in it's own juices. There need to be rays of hope, and steady vets can provide a fair bit of that.

So what's a good deal? Well, we'll have to see; I'd like to see him finish the season with a PER of 16 or so and hear Flip start to talk about Chauncey. I haven't been watching the recent games so much, though I caught Sacramento which obviously wasn't his most prolific.

I'll give a further gander, but I'm open to keeping him as things stand now.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#24 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:57 am

WizStorm wrote:
hands11 wrote:Last five games as the starter at PG

MIN 39.6
FG 35-78
3P 5-18
FT 16-18
STL 1.0
BLK 0.6
TO 2.2
PF 2.6
OFF 0.2
DEF 3.0
TOT 3.2
AST 7.8
PTS 18.2
SPI 0

Every players stats include stats against mediocre competition.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#25 » by WizStorm » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 am

mohammed10 wrote:
WizStorm wrote:

MIN 39.6
FG 35-78
3P 5-18
FT 16-18
STL 1.0
BLK 0.6
TO 2.2
PF 2.6
OFF 0.2
DEF 3.0
TOT 3.2
AST 7.8
PTS 18.2
SPI 0

Fair, but I don't think our squad is in any position to call any competition mediocre.
Fine ... should I call them stiff competition? If I judge opponent strength by how the Wizards are actually playing right now, I would say that there are many college teams that I consider stiff competition as well. In terms of actual NBA strength, the teams the Wizards have faced have been very mediocre with a combined record of 85 and 97.

Foye has been competent, but if he's anything more than a role player on your team, your in big trouble.
hands11
Banned User

Post#26 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 am

Hoopalotta wrote:I'm liking Foye pretty well.

I think it's going to be one of those things this summer where it comes down to the contract. Are we going to be looking at a situation where we'd sign him to a deal and then he's an asset that other teams are interested in long term or would it go the other way?

If we're looking at a reasonable deal, I would say sign him, especially if we cut ties with Arenas. You really have to look at him from value and development standpoints with a rebuild as much as talent. We need to be marginally competitive and we need some kind of positive veteran presence. Need. We also might plug rookies in at all kinds of positions, so Foye's ability to play two spots is an advantage. A consistently positive guy with good practice habits is an advantage. A point guard who shoots a lot of 22' jumpers off the dribble is not so much an advantage. But can he help teach a bit? Mentor? Make practices better? Those are important questions that I'd like to know the answer to.

But with what I know now, keep him on a good deal? Sure, why not? I take Foye to be a foxhole guy in addition to anything else we want to say about him. He strikes me as very professional and sincere; about the least likely guy to be caught in a hot tub with a pair of cheap hookers.

I'm looking for a point guard who can help us win 20-25 games with about 20 blowout losses, but who'll protect us against 12 wins and 60 blowout losses; if things get bad enough, a developmental situation don't develop, and just stews in it's own juices. There need to be rays of hope, and steady vets can provide a fair bit of that.

So what's a good deal? Well, we'll have to see; I'd like to see him finish the season with a PER of 16 or so and hear Flip start to talk about Chauncey. I haven't been watching the recent games so much, though I caught Sacramento which obviously wasn't his most prolific.

I'll give a further gander, but I'm open to keeping him as things stand now.

4.8M is the qualifying offer for him next year.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#27 » by WizStorm » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:05 am

hands11 wrote:
WizStorm wrote:

MIN 39.6
FG 35-78
3P 5-18
FT 16-18
STL 1.0
BLK 0.6
TO 2.2
PF 2.6
OFF 0.2
DEF 3.0
TOT 3.2
AST 7.8
PTS 18.2
SPI 0

Every players stats include stats against mediocre competition.
Not talking about stats ... i'm talking bottom line.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#28 » by mohammed10 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:22 am

hands11 wrote:4.8M is the qualifying offer for him next year.

4.8M for Foye?

:roll:

I don't think he's qualified...yet

verbal8
General Manager

Post#29 » by verbal8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:24 am

mohammed10 wrote:
hands11 wrote:4.8M is the qualifying offer for him next year.

4.8M for Foye?

:roll:

I don't think he's qualified...yet

I think his current salary is about right. It is around the size of Sessions and I think they have similar values.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by mohammed10 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 am

verbal8 wrote:
I think his current salary is about right. It is around the size of Sessions and I think they have similar values.

Not sure. Perhaps I am suffering for 'the grass is greener on the other side' mentality, but, all things considered, I value Sessions more than Foye.

Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Hoopalotta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 am

Yeah, I don't think he's going to get a three or four year deal at that qualifying offer. I think we might extend it, but not with the intention of four years @ $20 Million.

I'd take Foye over sessions myself just based on style. Foye's shooting means he won't need the ball to be effective and he'd potentially play real nicely off a guy like Ty Evans. I'm looking for Foye to start knocking down his shot with a bit more efficiency though as he gets going.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#32 » by verbal8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:Foye's shooting means he won't need the ball to be effective and he'd potentially play real nicely off a guy like Ty Evans.

I think another type of guard you can pair Foye with is a SG who is a good passer and ball handler. I think pairing him with Miller could make match-up problems for other teams.

One thing the Wizards lack that I think could make Foye more effective is an inside scoring threat, because he has the potential to be an effective spot-up shooter.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#33 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:Yeah, I don't think he's going to get a three or four year deal at that qualifying offer. I think we might extend it, but not with the intention of four years @ $20 Million.

I'd take Foye over sessions myself just based on style. Foye's shooting means he won't need the ball to be effective and he'd potentially play real nicely off a guy like Ty Evans. I'm looking for Foye to start knocking down his shot with a bit more efficiency though as he gets going.

I think 3-4 years at the qualifying offer sounds about right. We may want to pay him a bit less, but somebody is going to come along and offer at least that much. I don't we have the luxury of being choosy. I'd pay him 4 years 20M even if he is only worth 4 years $15M. The man is a legit rotation-caliber player. He's young, and has a good, professional attitude. You need a few guys like him around in a rebuild, even if you have to overpay them a bit.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Hoopalotta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:47 pm

nate33 wrote:
Hoopalotta wrote:Yeah, I don't think he's going to get a three or four year deal at that qualifying offer. I think we might extend it, but not with the intention of four years @ $20 Million.

I think 3-4 years at the qualifying offer sounds about right. We may want to pay him a bit less, but somebody is going to come along and offer at least that much. I don't we have the luxury of being choosy. I'd pay him 4 years 20M even if he is only worth 4 years $15M. The man is a legit rotation-caliber player. He's young, and has a good, professional attitude. You need a few guys like him around in a rebuild, even if you have to overpay them a bit.

I'm sold. Now you're the lighting rod for Dat to come in an lambast on while I'm just along for the ride. :D

I totally agree about all the intangible aspects being important for a rebuild and, short of Wall, we don't want to be developing a point guard along with everything else.

I'll just throw this in too: Sergio Rodriguez as the backup. 2 Years @ $4.5 Million. :wordyo:
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#35 » by Narf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:07 am

You guys generally have the same view of Foye that we did in the Wolves room. SG that passes was a good way to describe him. I would say 4/20 is overpaying for him and you could resign him for 4/16 instead relatively easily (it's going to be a brutal year for 2nd tier free agents, there just isn't much money out there).
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Hey, look out, even with the horrible start, Foye's up to a 14.9 PER now, which is a career high for him.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by mohammed10 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:Hey, look out, even with the horrible start, Foye's up to a 14.9 PER now, which is a career high for him.

:nod:

cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#38 » by cdouglas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:50 pm

I would like to see the Wizards pickup a pure PG. I think it would make a huge difference in Saunders system.
hands11
Banned User

Post#39 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:47 am

WizStorm wrote:

MIN 39.6
FG 35-78
3P 5-18
FT 16-18
STL 1.0
BLK 0.6
TO 2.2
PF 2.6
OFF 0.2
DEF 3.0
TOT 3.2
AST 7.8
PTS 18.2
SPI 0

VS Dallas last night 35 min 9-14 2-3 6-6 3 ast 1 steal 26 pts

And you were saying ?

Just makes me think...
gil who?
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#40 » by Silvie Lysandra » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:53 am

For Foye to be a legitimate part of the team's future, he needs to become a player along the lines of Billups - kind of a tweener PG who doesn't put up huge APG stats, but runs the offense well, gets everyone in position, and plays solid defense at the other end. Otherwise he's just a very poor man's Gilbert, and a poor man's Gilbert is a backup in the NBA.

Return to Washington Wizards