What the heck. Miami Game thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Re: What the heck. Miami Game thread. 

Post#41 » by dobrojim » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:04 pm

so glad I was able to sell the tickets

thinking now I might do the same for the Lakers game.
Why not make some cash?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#42 » by daSwami » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:20 pm

bulletproof_32 wrote:Donk, I rocked my new "Free Gilbert" shirt tonight at the game. We've got a long road ahead of us to get our boy back on the court (especially in a Wiz uni). You and I might have to take a trip together to FL (Miami/ ORL)/ LA/ Alcatraz next season to see him play again for his home team (let's hope it doesn't come to that, though).

Dude, I needed that shirt. I had courtside tix for the first (and probably only) time this season. I wanted to bring a sign, but the missus put the kabosh on that plan lest we never be given those seats again.
:banghead:
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#43 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Ji wrote:
miller31time wrote:Can someone tell Mike Miller that, while we all love that he's unselfish and all, he's the best shooter on this team (possibly in the league) and he's not shooting....?

he hasnt shot in 3 years. Not sure wtf is up with him but he and Foye aint worth the 5th pick

+1

The day of the draft I was just sick when folks were going on about Miller and Foye.

Last night, seventh pick Stephen Curry had 32 points, (3-7 3pts), 7 assist, 4 steals. Another guy with game, sixth pick Jonny Flynn, had 20 as his team lost by 2 to Paul and the Hornets.

Foye and Miller both have to resigned, even if they turn out to be great. Grunfeld really blew it. Before the draft Curry and Blair was something I must have posted no less than 25 times, only to be told that Ernie's a GM and that he and the coaches know more.

Yeah, right.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#44 » by doclinkin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:08 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Last night, seventh pick Stephen Curry had 32 points, (3-7 3pts), 7 assist, 4 steals.

Wait a minute. I thought Stephen Curry was too skinny, too small, too slow, too much of a jacker who would never be able to play point and couldn't defend. Man now I'm totally confused...

sigh.
RealGM

Post#45 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:20 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Last night, seventh pick Stephen Curry had 32 points, (3-7 3pts), 7 assist, 4 steals.

Wait a minute. I thought Stephen Curry was too skinny, too small, too slow, too much of a jacker who would never be able to play point and couldn't defend. Man now I'm totally confused...

sigh.

doc, I didn't say that, and if I did go ahead and pull it up.

No way. In fact you were the one who agreed with me that Curry would probably fill out and gain wait, and quite possibly not be finished growing. I wasn't me who said he couldn't play at the next level

Curry's assists at Davidson were very impressive. His steals were impressive. He got hurt his last year and was a chucker at tourney time, but I know I wanted the Wizards to draft Curry and Blair. At the last minute I recall thinking Blair was a surer bet and I said draft Blair at 5 when NOBODY was on board with that.

But as I just posted in another thread, Curry's mom being a school principal and ex collegiate volleyball player, his dad being a 14-yr NBA player, him being surper focused in interviews, him expanding his game--EVERYTHING told me he's a better pick Rubio because he's coming in humble and ready.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#46 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:26 pm

doc, back in November or December of this season I did have doubts. Jennings dropped 55 on them.

That said, Curry even then had the approval of Ellis (who had dissed him before playing with and against him in practice) and Nelson. Even at his worst as a pro, Curry's been a real decent rookie.

Right now he's playing better than Jennings. Neither of them is the talent Evans is, but they're all three future all stars IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#47 » by hands11 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

sigh.

doc, I didn't say that, and if I did go ahead and pull it up.

No way. In fact you were the one who agreed with me that Curry would probably fill out and gain wait, and quite possibly not be finished growing. I wasn't me who said he couldn't play at the next level

Curry's assists at Davidson were very impressive. His steals were impressive. He got hurt his last year and was a chucker at tourney time, but I know I wanted the Wizards to draft Curry and Blair. At the last minute I recall thinking Blair was a surer bet and I said draft Blair at 5 when NOBODY was on board with that.

But as I just posted in another thread, Curry's mom being a school principal and ex collegiate volleyball player, his dad being a 14-yr NBA player, him being surper focused in interviews, him expanding his game--EVERYTHING told me he's a better pick Rubio because he's coming in humble and ready.

Not that's its a huge deal but lets not make it like you were the only one calling for Curry early on. If this damn - see guys I'm doing good with that - board was easier to search you'd see I was in on the Curry thing from the start. Actually, it was pretty much all I was talking about while tons of posts were all about Blake who I knew would wouldn't get.

Now Blair, that was all you. You nailed that one.

Hey mods, you'll like to sticky thing threads. How about sticky thinging some older ones like draft predictions and stuff. And why can't we do searches ? I've seen other boards you are able to search and they archive the previous years so you could go back and see what people were predicting.
AlohaWiz
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#48 » by AlohaWiz » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:24 pm

hands11 wrote:
Not that's its a huge deal but lets not make it like you were the only one calling for Curry early on. If this damn - see guys I'm doing good with that - board was easier to search you'd see I was in on the Curry thing from the start. Actually, it was pretty much all I was talking about while tons of posts were all about Blake who I knew would wouldn't get.

Hey mods, you'll like to sticky thing threads. How about sticky thinging some older ones like draft predictions and stuff. And why can we do searches ? I've seen other board you are able to search and they archive the previous years so you could go back and what people were predicting.

That made me chuckle, hehe. Honestly, I prefer "dame". It's unique to your posts :)
RealGM

Post#49 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:14 pm

He, he. Me, too. I kept reading dame so much until I thought I missed out on something.

hands, you and Dat and doclinkin are others that liked Curry before the draft. There were probably others.

What I was responding to was Ji saying that Foye and Miller weren't as good as the 5th pick. Specifically, many wanted Rubio and many were laughing at Minnesota after the draft because they drafted Flynn also and because Rubio will be overseas at least 2 years.

My thought was the Wizards should have kept the 5th pick and drafted Curry. Just agreeing with Ji that as well as Foye's playing and as good as Miller is, they have to be resigned AND the young guys they could have had are already starters. Curry played 48 mins last game. Blair's ahead of McDyess as a starter, also got Haislip waived, and has Mahinmi an afterthought--for the same team that wouldn't resign Oberto.

The magnitude of how bad the deal was is just beginning to become apparent. EG could have done much, much better.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#50 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:45 am

AlohaWiz wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Hey mods, you'll like to sticky thing threads. How about sticky thinging some older ones like draft predictions and stuff. And why can we do searches ? I've seen other board you are able to search and they archive the previous years so you could go back and what people were predicting.

That made me chuckle, hehe. Honestly, I prefer "dame". It's unique to your posts :)

We can have a pole and bring it back if the board votes it in. I'm game to go back :cheesygrin:
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#51 » by bulletproof_32 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:52 am

I vote yes on bringing dame back.

Like AlohaWiz and CCJ, I got a chuckle out of your post but "DAME" makes me chuckle EVERY DAME TIME I see it.

We want DAME! We want DAME!
hands11
Banned User

Post#52 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:56 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:He, he. Me, too. I kept reading dame so much until I thought I missed out on something.

hands, you and Dat and doclinkin are others that liked Curry before the draft. There were probably others.

What I was responding to was Ji saying that Foye and Miller weren't as good as the 5th pick. Specifically, many wanted Rubio and many were laughing at Minnesota after the draft because they drafted Flynn also and because Rubio will be overseas at least 2 years.

My thought was the Wizards should have kept the 5th pick and drafted Curry. Just agreeing with Ji that as well as Foye's playing and as good as Miller is, they have to be resigned AND the young guys they could have had are already starters. Curry played 48 mins last game. Blair's ahead of McDyess as a starter, also got Haislip waived, and has Mahinmi an afterthought--for the same team that wouldn't resign Oberto.

The magnitude of how bad the deal was is just beginning to become apparent. EG could have done much, much better.

No doubt that would have been a lot cheaper over the term of a contract.

I think it was decided in part because we haven't had very good luck with young players over the last....hmmmm decade. Kwame, Arvis, McGee, NY, OP, and Jefferies. Of all the first rounders, Dixon was probably the only one who was mature and gave constant effort.

Now I think McGee will be a talent but he is a talent like NY is. Both amazing athletics. Nick has the smoothest stroke but was immature coming to the team so its taking him a while to develop. McGee is just a freak athlete for his size. But we needed talented now that we could rely on. Sure, Curry seems to be that but again, I think they were a little shell shocked from the past.

But wow, Curry would have been a lot cheaper.
RealGM

Post#53 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:39 pm

hands, you're absolutely right. The Wizards were shellshocked from young players they picked in the most recent past. The problem comes in Grunfeld and company lacking the ability to properly assess character, maturity, and to project what type of learning curve certain players would have.

It's one thing to draft a Blatche, who had some baggage, or to draft Young, who has a learning disability, or to draft both McGee and Pecherov, who lacked physical maturity and post moves --all of them should have been expected to need lots of time ... and PATIENCE. The problem with the Wizards is they scapegoated the young players for the failures of the past, and they lost all patience.

Before the past draft, in knee jerk fashion, the Wizards decided no more young players. I think that was most unwise.

IMO age is a number but different players mature differently. Every level of ball Blair has played on he has enjoyed tremendous success and he's been the MVP. HS, youth international play, and NCAA. Statistically, his rebounding was off the charts prolific. In interviews he expressed extreme passion for getting boards. Statistically, he was also a proficient scorer. I had no doubts the kid would be a mature rookie--even if he's younger than Javale!

Likewise, I've posted many times that Stephen Curry's success or at least him being a good bench player RIGHT AWAY should have been obvious.

I still can't believe the Wizards braintrust actually thought it better to have a 34-yr old Oberto, who's no longer playing (everybody who doesn't like McGee says he must not be that good if Flip's not playing him) over Blair, when they needed a player exactly like Blair.

Any how, it's a done deal now ... I just don't want EG making any moves. I want new ownership and a new GM.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#54 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:18 pm

bulletproof_32 wrote:I vote yes on bringing dame back.

Like AlohaWiz and CCJ, I got a chuckle out of your post but "DAME" makes me chuckle EVERY DAME TIME I see it.

We want DAME! We want DAME!

It good to be in on this side of the joke. That made me laugh reading your DAME post. :party:
hands11
Banned User

Post#55 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:hands, you're absolutely right. The Wizards were shellshocked from young players they picked in the most recent past. The problem comes in Grunfeld and company lacking the ability to properly assess character, maturity, and to project what type of learning curve certain players would have.

It's one thing to draft a Blatche, who had some baggage, or to draft Young, who has a learning disability, or to draft both McGee and Pecherov, who lacked physical maturity and post moves --all of them should have been expected to need lots of time ... and PATIENCE. The problem with the Wizards is they scapegoated the young players for the failures of the past, and they lost all patience.

Before the past draft, in knee jerk fashion, the Wizards decided no more young players. I think that was most unwise.

IMO age is a number but different players mature differently. Every level of ball Blair has played on he has enjoyed tremendous success and he's been the MVP. HS, youth international play, and NCAA. Statistically, his rebounding was off the charts prolific. In interviews he expressed extreme passion for getting boards. Statistically, he was also a proficient scorer. I had no doubts the kid would be a mature rookie--even if he's younger than Javale!

Likewise, I've posted many times that Stephen Curry's success or at least him being a good bench player RIGHT AWAY should have been obvious.

I still can't believe the Wizards braintrust actually thought it better to have a 34-yr old Oberto, who's no longer playing (everybody who doesn't like McGee says he must not be that good if Flip's not playing him) over Blair, when they needed a player exactly like Blair.

Any how, it's a done deal now ... I just don't want EG making any moves. I want new ownership and a new GM.

I have generally supported EG but have also busted on him over the years so yeah, I hear yeah.
What was always hard for me was to place all our moves on EG shoulders squarely knowing the Abe and Abe /EJ situation. EG has not had it easy since he has been here.

But...

With letting Etan and DSong go, I really saw the need for us to add that kind of player back. I was hoping we could keep DSong for another year but I had been calling for us to add a young strong rebounder. An Etan type who is right out of school and cheap. Now I had no idea who this Blair kid was because I don't watch a ton of College Ball until the tournaments. But most defiantly we would be doing better this year if we had him..

Now that said, lots of other teams let him slip by. I think it was because of his knee problems. But heck, even if you only got two good years out of him, that would be worth the chance with the 2nd round pick.

So it's a hard call. Lots of teams over looked him. Had EG got him, he would be really on the ball. The fact that he missed him, makes him look average. Specially in light of our W/L this year.

And as for the character of this younger kids like Nick, AB and McGee... that tough. Its not like they were brought into the Celtics or SAs locker. How do you think things would have worked out for Big Babby here. Probably not well. This is why I keep bringing it back to Gil. He made it harder on these young players by setting the worst example holding them back were on a team like the Celtics, AJs message would have sounded normal and the young player fall in line and follow the vets.

Just saying... Something to consider.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#56 » by DCZards » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

I don't think the decision not to draft Curry, Flynn or one of the younger players and to trade for Foye and Miller was a "knee-jerk" decision at all. It was a decision based on the reality that given the mix of vets and young talent already on the roster the best approach was to go for the "gold" now. That meant bringing in proven talent like Foye and Miller. I had no problem with that approach and many others on this board agree with it as well.

Yes, we all can look back in hindsight and criticize that approach now....thanks to how injuries, guns and lackluster play have wreaked havoc on this year's Zards.
RealGM

Post#57 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:28 am

DCZards, I had no idea the Wizards would trade for Foye, so we didn't talk about him at all before the trade. However, the day of the deal I said I KNOW Curry's better than Randy Foye. In terms of ability, I believed Curry would be a distributor with deep range and more of a PG than Foye.

DCZards, here's a story about a player you were right about and I was wrong.

http://probasketballnews.com/feeds/rsss ... yid=118512

Kings' Evans named in wrongful death lawsuit

Kings rookie guard Tyreke Evans is among four men named in a wrongful death lawsuit in Delaware County, Pa.

The civil suit was filed by the family of Marcus Reason, who was killed in a drive-by shooting in Chester Township, Pa., in 2007. Evans' cousin, Jamar Evans, was sentenced to 9-20 years after pleading guilty last January to third-degree murder and weapons charges

Kings officials said they knew about the incident and had no reservations about selecting Tyreke Evans with the fourth pick in the draft.

I didn't know much of anything about Evans other than Memphis, drive by, and what I say in NCAAs and inferred from his stats. I would have ASSUMED him to be of bad character by the crowd he kept. He was the driver in the case above.

So, I'm not saying I'm right all the time, because I sure would have picked Curry ahead of Evans--and been wrong.

I was against drafting Evans due to character questions
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards