ImageImageImageImageImage

The 'What do we do now?' Thread (merged)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

ErikChowbay023
Junior
And1: 3

Re: The 'What do we do now?' Thread (merged) 

Post#201 » by ErikChowbay023 » Tue Mar 2, 2010 1:57 am

You know , some other shooting guards I wouldnt mind, Morrow from GSW or Webster from Portland.

Webster is a winner.. He has a great attitude. Can really shoot the rock, and can play defense.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#202 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 2, 2010 2:16 am

ErikChowbay023 wrote:You know , some other shooting guards I wouldnt mind, Morrow from GSW or Webster from Portland.

Webster is a winner.. He has a great attitude. Can really shoot the rock, and can play defense.

Wow, Erik, before I could respond to the Hunter question you posted about Morrow.

Wizards should be ALL OVER MORROW. I also like CJ Watson from GS if he's available.

Morrow could turn out to be be a big time scorer. He's a bit too unselfish, considering how he shoots it.
Bye bye Beal.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#203 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Mar 2, 2010 3:25 am

Dat2U wrote:The only guy I'd be willing to sign in free agency to a long term deal is Dwyane Wade. Otherwise, Bring Out Your Dead!

We ain't getting LeBron. Don't see that scenario playing out. Wade is a shot in the dark but I get the sense he's willing to leave Miami for the right situation. And depending on how you look at our roster he could be intrigued.

Really though, I'm a bit worried about Wade breaking down along with the immediate 'win now' posture we'd be forced to adopt. I'd see getting a guy like him as being paired with a "The star players says you need to spend your MLE this year to get us closer to a title" posture.

Which Blatche blowing up, Chris Bosh isn't really a need. I'm not sure how he'll fit with Dray.
Joe Johnson isn't worth the max and isn't young.

Yeah, last thing we need to do is get a max deal power forward. Bosh might be worth his contract, but he's not a transcendent guy like Bron who's a bargain at $17 million.

Rudy Gay is a 3rd option at best. At $8 mil per that's fine. At $10-12 mil per that's seriously overpaying and anything more is potentially franchise crippling.

That seems fair, but I'd be higher on him that that. To start with, I'd say he's a second option and would do better on an uptempo team. But the franchise crippling angle is so true and in fact goes to all the free agents. That's what a lot of people are ignoring. Free agents are inherently dangerous.

The reason we traded the 5th pick is because our cap was out of control. Next time, we could be watching Dray walk. :noway:

We ain't getting Brendan back and honestly, considering what he's about to get paid, it might not be a good idea to try to re-sign him. I think unless we get a guy like Cousins or Favors in the draft, the best way to add an interior defender will be through the Bring Out The Dead strategy. Joel Przybilla (depending on health) and Jeff Foster are both good options on expiring deals.

Seriously. The idea of trying to bring back Brendan is just crazy talk. We didn't press the restart button to fling huge money at a 31 year old center and get ourselves stuck in again. We'd have to outspend Mark Cuban, of all people. Let's just let it go folks, let it go. We're not in 'do or die' mode here.

Signing Josh Howard to anything more than a 1-year deal considering his injury concerns would be insanity.

I loved how he played, but we need someone who can play 'like' Josh Howard, without that guy actually being Josh Howard, who's a) old and B) a free agent. Oh, yeah, and Ideally, that would also be someone who C) didn't just tear their ACL.

He might be back by January, but he won't hit his stride until well after that., if ever.

Mike Miller is a fine role player but painfully passive (to the point where it hurts his effectiveness), injury prone & on the wrong side of 30.

This. Though I worry the establishment will feel they need to resign one of either Foye or Miller in order to justify themselves. Not a good scenario, bit I'd rather keep Foye with his age and Miller's durability issues/propensity to fall down and bang his knee.

I like what James Singleton brings to the table but I wouldn't give him a long term deal either. Energy/effort guys can always be found for cheap if you look hard enough. I'm shocked it took EG so long to get one.

If we do have a good chemistry fit though, we could consider keeping him. We're not talking about big money here. Also, a lot of the obvious 'dead' are horrible athletes/defenders who won't fit in on a running team.

And then, I think there is some danger in being too craven and mercenary with the Bring-Out-Your-Dead strategy with a team filled with dud free agents that everyone knows are unwanted and won't be back. That doesn't really build great chemistry or a winning culture (not counting the draft picks).

There is also the concern that harken to the woe stricken, "bring out your dead!", andthe buying price will be less than we'd like. For these reasons, I'd strongly consider resigning Singleton for the right price. Athletic, happy to be here and a two way guy. Nice culture guy.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#204 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Mar 2, 2010 4:12 am

ErikChowbay023 wrote:You guys dont like Chris Hunter from GS?

Looking at Hunters numbers, he's been productive, but averages a foul every 5 minutes, so he's not Polish enough as a defender (Ok, 'polished'). Not a bad bench pickup at all, but Turiaf has been tested guarding NBA centers for years and is more of an actual spot starter who can counter balance some of McGee's weaknesses.

But sure, not a bad target for a 5th big who could develop into more. Looks like he's a restricted free agent though.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#205 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 2, 2010 4:42 am

Hoopalotta wrote:The 'actually decent' center I like best as far as absorbing with cap space is Turiaf from the 'Dubs.

He's got two more years at about $4 million each and wouldn't include incentive to absorb him as he's not actually 'dead'. But were the Warriors to draft a big, or even if they don't, they might send Ronny over for Vlademeer Veremeenko, just to save some change.

Specialties:
Shot blocking
Pick setting
Passing
Non-jerkyness

He's best as a 20 minute guy, so he wouldn't hold McGee back either.

It's his density...

As part of his rehabilitation, Turiaf signed with the Continental Basketball Association's Yakama Sun Kings, a team that drafted him with their 36th pick in the 2005 CBA draft.[5] He played 9 games with the Sun Kings, averaging 13 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. Turiaf recovered from his surgery quicker than expected and was therefore re-signed with the Lakers on January 17, 2006, less than six months after his surgery. In order to make room on the team's 15-man roster, the Lakers waived guard Laron Profit after his season-ending injury.[6]
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#206 » by BruceO » Tue Mar 2, 2010 6:52 pm

my personal ideal situation is somehow getting durant and marc gasol. Willing to give up gil if it gives us space to sign durant. What will his contract requirement look like once he is free? when is he free? Same deal with Gasol but i wouldn't give up Gil unless i have a really good replacement. Ideal lineup if we retain the players I want and get the players I like would be:

Arenas/ Jarrett jack
Howard/ young
Durant/ Thornton
Blatche/ McGee
Gasol

and add Evans or Cousins.

I also like Jarrett jack and JR smith
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#207 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 2, 2010 7:32 pm

C'mon BruceO, you're just wasting your breath. There is no way OKC let's Durant go. He'll be restricted free agent and they'll have the right to match any offer.

Marc Gasol is a good target for the center position. As is Kendrick Perkins. Indeed, there will be a slew of free agent centers available in 2011 so it probably makes the most sense to get a stopgap one-year rental for the 2010/11 season and then make sure we have money available in Summer 2011.

Here are some notable centers available in 2011 (unfortunately, the good ones are restricted free agents) in my order of desirability.

Horford (RFA)
Noah (RFA)
Gasol (RFA)
Perkins
Yao
Chandler
Pryzbilla
Troy Murphy
Hawes (RFA)
Krstic
Mohammed

Some of those guys would be sure-fire starters who would force McGee into a Chris Anderson type role as an energy guy off the bench. Other guys are only good as backup centers that would come in handy when McGee can't defend some of the burlier centers in the league.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#208 » by miller31time » Tue Mar 2, 2010 7:52 pm

The All-Star nod probably puts Horford out of reach, financially. Whereas I don't think Noah gets nearly the amount of respect he deserves (at least statistically speaking).

If we can get him on the cheap (though unlikely), taking a gamble on Yao might not be a bad idea. The possibility of him having a few injury-free seasons would make us a damn good team, especially considering he's only 29.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#209 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 2, 2010 8:12 pm

miller31time wrote:The All-Star nod probably puts Horford out of reach, financially. Whereas I don't think Noah gets nearly the amount of respect he deserves (at least statistically speaking).

If we can get him on the cheap (though unlikely), taking a gamble on Yao might not be a bad idea. The possibility of him having a few injury-free seasons would make us a damn good team, especially considering he's only 29.

That would make me happy - not to mention Ted's bankers - Yao would bring in a lot of foreign revenue, so even if he gets hurt, Ted will make money. But do the Chinese really want their basketball hero to be playing in the capital of the US? I don't know what their thoughts are on that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#210 » by verbal8 » Tue Mar 2, 2010 8:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:
miller31time wrote:The All-Star nod probably puts Horford out of reach, financially. Whereas I don't think Noah gets nearly the amount of respect he deserves (at least statistically speaking).

That would make me happy - not to mention Ted's bankers - Yao would bring in a lot of foreign revenue, so even if he gets hurt, Ted will make money. But do the Chinese really want their basketball hero to be playing in the capital of the US? I don't know what their thoughts are on that.

While the US has a political rivalry with China the countries are very linked economically. They could see it as an opportunity for him to be an ambassador. I would much rather have him on the Wizards than Yi(who probably is 29 also).
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#211 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Mar 2, 2010 8:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:

GetInMyBelly
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#212 » by GetInMyBelly » Tue Mar 2, 2010 8:49 pm

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:Image

i remember when that corner used to be an empty parking lot...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#213 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 2, 2010 9:10 pm

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Nice selling point! A picture paints a thousand words... and makes a lot more dollars. Wow, it sure looks different at night time. I've never been there during the day. Thank you to Mr. Pollin.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#214 » by Dat2U » Tue Mar 2, 2010 10:25 pm

I don't remember the AT&T store being there. I guess its been almost 2 years since I've been in DC. Gotta say I do miss my city.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#215 » by fishercob » Tue Mar 2, 2010 10:34 pm

Dat2U wrote:I don't remember the AT&T store being there. I guess its been almost 2 years since I've been in DC. Gotta say I do miss my city.

Benetton closed not too long after it opened and AT&T took over their space. Are you still in Columbus? Friends sent us a shipment of Graeter's ice cream (one of OH's greatest exports) last week that I'm working my way through. That stuff is like crack.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#216 » by Hoopalotta » Wed Mar 3, 2010 12:01 am

nate33 wrote:C'mon BruceO, you're just wasting your breath. There is no way OKC let's Durant go. He'll be restricted free agent and they'll have the right to match any offer.

Yeah, I'd go so far as to say the odds of him signing a max extension this offseason are pretty darn high too.

Marc Gasol is a good target for the center position. As is Kendrick Perkins. Indeed, there will be a slew of free agent centers available in 2011 so it probably makes the most sense to get a stopgap one-year rental for the 2010/11 season and then make sure we have money available in Summer 2011.

Here are some notable centers available in 2011 (unfortunately, the good ones are restricted free agents) in my order of desirability.

Horford (RFA)
Noah (RFA)
Gasol (RFA)
Perkins
Yao
Chandler
Pryzbilla
Troy Murphy
Hawes (RFA)
Krstic
Mohammed

Gasol seems so high profile that he'd be an absolute 'no brainer keeper' for Memphis, but their situation is highly muddled by a terrible financial season. The most up to date Forbes numbers had them bringing in $13 million at the gate per year, which is about 1/6th of the Lakers numbers. They are in fact dead last in revenue. And then their owner is assumed to be selling the franchise sometime in the next 'however-many' years, so a big offer to Gasol could get-er-done, sure.

I love his game myself. He really maximizes his ability and uses his body to punish guys. Plus, he's a great passer that should build great team chemistry and crisp sets. Not a great athlete, but passable and very strong. He also shoots well enough that you could play him with McGee.

Perkins might be a flight risk, but as of now, I'd think Noah and Horford stay put. Hawes seems a candidate for an amazingly sucky thread, based on his perimeter orientation and propensity to 'over feature' himself in the offense. He obviously has some talent though.

I must confess that I kind of covet us getting Robin Lopez. I think that guy is way underrated and can become a serious starter in the league. The guy has a really nice, intimidating presence out there. He would be the NBA player that I would give the "most likely to have been a barbarian warlord in a pervious life" award. Not a great fit for the Suns current system either, so you have to wonder if they'd consider moving him.
ErikChowbay023
Junior

Post#217 » by ErikChowbay023 » Wed Mar 3, 2010 2:32 am

Seems the "Insiders" at ESPN have come up with a future power rankings ...Pretty Interesting.

I think its a joke honestly.

HOW FUTURE POWER RATING IS DETERMINED
PLAYERS (0 to 400 points): Current players and their potential for the future, factoring in expected departures
MANAGEMENT (0 to 200 points): Quality and stability of front office, ownership, coaching
MONEY (0 to 200 points): Projected salary-cap situation; ability and willingness to exceed cap and pay luxury tax
MARKET (0 to 100 points): Appeal to future acquisitions based on team quality, franchise reputation, city's desirability as a destination, market size, taxes, business and entertainment opportunities, arena quality, fans
DRAFT (0 to 100 points): Future draft picks; draft positioning
\

Its kinda long ... Teams 1 -30

Consider this a convenient way to see in what direction your favorite team is headed.

Each of the NBA's 30 teams received an overall Future Power Rating of 0 to 1,000 based on how well we expected each team to perform in the three seasons after this season.

To determine the Future Power Rating, we rated each team in five categories. (See table at right.) As you can see, we determined that the most important category was a team's current players and the future potential of those players. That category accounted for 40 percent of each team's overall Future Power Rating.

At the same time, we looked at many other factors, such as management, ownership, coaching, a team's spending habits, its cap situation, the reputation of the city and the franchise and what kind of draft picks we expected the team to have in the future.

To reach our ratings in each category, we talked to teams to get a handle on their future strategies, we looked at their contractual commitments and we carefully broke down each roster to figure out which players would improve, which would decline and which likely would depart.

These rankings will evolve as the season moves along, transactions are made, injuries occur, strategies shift and so on. Return from time to time as we update the rankings.
ErikChowbay023
Junior

Post#218 » by ErikChowbay023 » Wed Mar 3, 2010 2:35 am

Cont...

I can post other teams by request...

Here is what they predict for the Wizards..

29. Washington Wizards | Future Power Rating: 322
PLAYERS MANAGEMENT MONEY MARKET DRAFT
30 (30th) 40 (28th) 132 (7th) 46 (17th) 74 (6th)
The Wizards traded out of one bad situation and into another at the trade deadline. They jettisoned Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and Antawn Jamison to prepare for the future, but the result is the league's worst roster. Gilbert Arenas is the only marquee player left, but he has a questionable knee, a massive contract and a frayed relationship with the team and public after his gun incident.
The transition to new ownership, likely Capitals owner Ted Leonsis, is another question mark. It's unclear whether he'll keep bumbling GM Ernie Grunfeld, who at this point must be wondering what he has to do to get himself fired, but pending some positive signs on that front, the Wizards are ranked just 28th in management. And although Washington will have cap space to pursue a maximum-salaried free agent, it's not a top-tier basketball market, and the team has so many questions that it's unlikely to lure a star anyway.

All told, we're at the start of a long rebuilding process for Washington, which is why only Charlotte has a gloomier outlook in our rankings.

(Previous rank: 27)
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#219 » by verbal8 » Wed Mar 3, 2010 2:57 am

ErikChowbay023 wrote:Cont...

I can post other teams by request...

Here is what they predict for the Wizards..

29. Washington Wizards | Future Power Rating: 322
PLAYERS MANAGEMENT MONEY MARKET DRAFT
30 (30th) 40 (28th) 132 (7th) 46 (17th) 74 (6th)
The Wizards traded out of one bad situation and into another at the trade deadline. They jettisoned Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and Antawn Jamison to prepare for the future, but the result is the league's worst roster.

Have they looked at the Nets roster? The Wizards won 5 games last month(4 post-trades) and the Nets have taken the whole season to win 6.

ErikChowbay023 wrote:The transition to new ownership, likely Capitals owner Ted Leonsis, is another question mark. It's unclear whether he'll keep bumbling GM Ernie Grunfeld, who at this point must be wondering what he has to do to get himself fired, but pending some positive signs on that front, the Wizards are ranked just 28th in management. And although Washington will have cap space to pursue a maximum-salaried free agent, it's not a top-tier basketball market, and the team has so many questions that it's unlikely to lure a star anyway.

I think the potential market is pretty strong. This is definitely not a hockey team, but look at how the Caps are doing in drawing fans.

ErikChowbay023 wrote:All told, we're at the start of a long rebuilding process for Washington, which is why only Charlotte has a gloomier outlook in our rankings.
(Previous rank: 27)

I disagree about Charlotte having a terrible out-look. They are in the limbo of contending for the play-offs, but either missing them or being 1st round fodder. However I think Jordan buying the team should increase their desirability.
ErikChowbay023
Junior

Post#220 » by ErikChowbay023 » Wed Mar 3, 2010 3:06 am

They put LA damn near the top, and their team has no future beyond the next 1 to maybe 2 years.... They have no cap space, and they also have one of the highest payrolls in the league.

Return to Washington Wizards