Wizards vs Boston Sunday 8PM ESPN

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Re: Wizards vs Boston Sunday 8PM ESPN 

Post#141 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 6:48 am

Wizards2Lottery wrote:
miller31time wrote:RANDY FOYE....STOP SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is this moron taking 3's when he's ice cold?!

I don't **** know but how the **** does Flip tolerate this and not sit his bum. If that Nick Young, he'd have been benched in the first minute. Foye is garbage.

Long as I'm not the one noticing that ....
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#142 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 6:53 am

closg00 wrote:Ghost of EJ, that was a vintage EJ-style 4th quarter collapse. TANKTASTIC!!

In my perfect storm of good things to happen, Flip feels so bad about this team that he moves on after the season.

I missed the game, but Flip's postgame remarks were the Wizards lost because they didn't let sleeping dogs lie--they started talking trash to KG. Personally, without seeing the game the last thing I'd do as a coach is tell my players they did something BAD after a close loss to Boston.

I already know the Wizards didn't get any calls.

I also know Flip will never blame Foye, Boykins, or Miller; the same way he never blamed Butler or Jamison. Flip can always make disparaging remarks about Javale or Nick.

Regardless, good tank loss.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#143 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 6:55 am

closg00 wrote:We do need to start transitioning to a real PG. We need a real PG out there.

Play Livingston. Call up Stinson. Let Foye get less and Boykins next to no minutes
Bye bye Beal.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#144 » by likwitdesi » Mon Mar 8, 2010 6:57 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
closg00 wrote:We do need to start transitioning to a real PG. We need a real PG out there.

Play Livingston. Call up Stinson. Let Foye get less and Boykins next to no minutes

After two horrible games for Foye, we are going to get our wish to see more Livingston.
RealGM

Post#145 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 7:15 am

nate33 wrote:Agree with mhd. This was a perfect tank loss.

Think about it. The only guys we care about: Blatche, McGee and Thornton; all played very well (as did Singleton). We lost because our crappy backcourt couldn't get it done on offense or defense. As we have seen in the Milwaukee game, our backcourt just can't handle on-the-ball pressure. Foye has sub-par handles for a PG, and Miller is essentially a SF playing SG. It doesn't bother me at all that we lost. Blatche and McGee can hold their heads up high. They did a nice job.

I was very impressed with McGee tonight. He had, by far, his best game as a Wizard. He was very good defensively. His only problems were due to lack of strength and girth, rather than the typical mental mistakes. If McGee can continue to play like tonight, only with another 15 pounds of muscle, he'll be just fine.

Blatche had another solid game. I really liked how he stood up to KG. He wasn't taking any crap from him. I really liked that play after the dead ball when Blatche was walking up the court holding the basketball and wouldn't give it to KG.

Thornton was on fire, but it's nothing I'd get too excited about. He took a lot of bad shots that just happened to go in. The one positive thing I'll say is that his game reminded me a bit of a younger Paul Pierce. Thornton is weirdly unorthodox but somehow manages to get his shot off with reasonable efficiency. If he can just tighten up his handles and improve his 3-point shot a bit, he could become a pretty consistent scorer.

I think I've seen enough of Mike Miller passing up open looks. Miller can now only be characterized as a mere role player. He's solid all around, but just doesn't make a huge impact on the floor. His free agency price is continuing to drop in my opinion. Why should anybody pay more than $4-5M for a quality role player who can't create his own shot and turns the ball over a little too much? Don't get me wrong. I'd like to keep him around if possible. But if somebody comes along and offers more than the MLE, I'd let him go.

I'm not at down on Foye as everybody else. Foye is what he is... which is not a PG. He can't handle pressure defense. I didn't mind the shots he took down the stretch because Boston was overplaying the pass and giving him those looks. Foye just can't finish on the move. It's why he isn't a PG.

In other news, Detroit and Philly both won.

nate, I'd just as soon bring back Roger Mason for less than sign Foye for too much. Mason's a better defender. I also agree on Miller, but to be honest, Flip won't sit Miller when Miller is not playing well.

As Foye and Miller were brought in to take the old guard that was traded away to a strong playoff run, I don't see them as integral to anything now. There are better players than Foye. Stinson's way better at PG. Miller can play, but since Butler and Haywood got traded, and since Josh Howard went down, it's like he's mailing it in on offense.

Wizards can sign somebody like Josh Childress over Miller as far as I'm concerned.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#146 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 7:18 am

dandridge 10 wrote:
montestewart wrote:Great game for the Wizards front line, good team defense, not so hot on offense for most of the others, but playing a superior team so close on the road should build confidence. Philadelphia and Detroit win (Kings will probably lose) so draft position likely improves. McGee’s game looked like it took a big step tonight. Hope he can build on that.

Ditto. I could care less about wins at this point...I just want to see growth by our "building blocks" (Blatche, McGee and Thornton) and have the best chance for a good lotto pick. Overall, I thought we played pretty hard and well on both ends of the court. However, at the same time, it felt like Boston was sleepwalking this game until the end when they turned up the pressure. The Wiz just didn't have the experience or the poise to handle it.

dandridge, even if they don't get the 30 wins I said they would, I'm happy with these type losses.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#147 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 7:19 am

hands11 wrote:Flips with hard language after the game.

Says it was his boys who started the trash talk and woke up the sleeping giant.

Then he said they choked.

Long as I'm not the one saying Flip is a hater of a coach ....
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#148 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 7:24 am

80sballboy wrote:Ok, what dumb f decided to trash talk with KG? Dray? Are you kidding me? Flip just said the team choked and p-ssed down their leg. Wow. Leadership, there is none.

I have three young sons playing basketball. When their team loses the last thing I want to do is tell them they choked or they pissed down their leg or they're losers.

Even if I'm thinking it I choose to stay positive. Believe it or not.

Flip never says his veteran guards didn't get the job done. When has he said he was outcoached?

To me, a three-point loss in Boston by a young squad should be A CELEBRATION.

Flip can quit and go somewhere where he can keep winning at .600 with players who are already good veterans.

PS One sons' negative coach did quit. Another parent and I stepped up to coach the team. They're playing MUCH BETTER. Playing better. Having fun. Feeling good about themselves. Learning. Honestly, I see no good in what Flip says after a game like this one.
Bye bye Beal.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#149 » by DaRealHibachi » Mon Mar 8, 2010 1:49 pm

80sballboy wrote:Ok, what dumb f decided to trash talk with KG? Dray? Are you kidding me? Flip just said the team choked and p-ssed down their leg. Wow. Leadership, there is none.

I have three young sons playing basketball. When their team loses the last thing I want to do is tell them they choked or they pissed down their leg or they're losers.

Flip never says his veteran guards didn't get the job done. When has he said he was outcoached?

Flip can quit and go somewhere where he can keep winning at .600 with players who are already good veterans.

PS One sons' negative coach did quit. Another parent and I stepped up to coach the team. They're playing MUCH BETTER. Playing better. Having fun. Feeling good about themselves. Learning. Honestly, I see no good in what Flip says after a game like this one.

I'm sorry CCJ, but these guys are professional bball players who get paid millions to play the game the love... If they play bad, the coach has the right to call them... He not only did it too the young guys as you claim, he did it a bunch of times when the vets were still here...

And telling them they did a good job when they lose is not good coaching IMO... It breeds a atmosphere where it doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you "play hard"... These guys need to be told what they did wrong, otherwise they'll never learn... Being content with losing isn't going to get this team anywhere...
:beer: Magnumt
RealGM

Post#150 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 2:23 pm

DRH, hat did Flip say to Foye this game? Probably the same thing he said to Caron when he tried to play hero ball. Nothing. He reinforced Caron's bad play early in the season with more minutes.

Flip persisted in playing bad combinations. Oberto in front of McGee. Stevenson in front of Young. Thirty-eight to forty-four minutes for Jamison, and maybe twenty-two for Blatche, mostly at C. Next to no Blatche/McGee. NEVER tried McGee with Haywood.

I've been saying McGee's good and I notice critics are growing more quiet each and every game he plays. What I also said long ago is I see McGee as a tall forward, moreso than a C. McGee made 9 of 10 free throws. It's just one game, but I believe he's had a nice face up jumper for some time. He CAN play forward and IMO if Flip had been a better coach Javale could have played alongside Haywood and produced good results in limited minutes.

DRH, your comment about "they're professionals" is one that I think should take a backseat to this: They're human beings. Blatche produced when he got minutes and his obstacles were removed. Flip is a huge hindrance to Nick Young. I don't even like Young much at all as a player, but Flip IMO is dogging him out and has been from the instant the trade was made. Negative comments after a spirited game makes a negative work environment.

Flip isn't necessarily telling the truth. I think he's just being bitter after a loss, like Stan Van Gundy has been in the past. I think Flip routinely throws someone under the bus, and he jerks players' minutes around.

Bottom line is the record. They should have been better with Butler, Jamison, Haywood here but Flip thought a short bench was the way to go. McGee and Blatche and Young should have played a lot more, and early in games. The shotjackers weren't the only good players here, but Flip treated them that way.

DRH, we disagree 180 degrees on Flip.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#151 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 2:27 pm

Note: I'm not criticizing his coaching against Boston. Didn't even see the game.

I just think a close loss at Boston is not something to chastise your team about. KG might have talked a lot, too. He went 0-7 and made less FTs than Javale. Maybe Flip's still loyal to KG?

Seems to me Saunders should have praised his frontcourt of Thornton, Blatche, McGee; and just said it was a tough loss.
Bye bye Beal.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#152 » by sashae » Mon Mar 8, 2010 2:38 pm

I would say into almost every timeout after Foye made a terrible play (which were many) the first words out of Flip's mouth as they came to the bench were RAN DEEEEEEEEE!!!! The thing is, Boykins would have no hope against Rondo, and Livingston is Livingston. Foye was the best option, unless Flip wanted to get Miller handling more and bring in Ross or NY1 or SOMEONE else... Not that Miller was shooting anyway -- I've NEVER seen a guy more allergic to taking a shot than Miller, which is confounding considering how talented a shooter he is!

I would never, ever, ever resign Miller unless it were for peanuts. He was a cipher on the court last night.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#153 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 8, 2010 2:49 pm

I feel what your saying but I will point out that these are not kids, they are grown men.

While I agree with your take on being positive with kids, sometimes a grown man or even more so a younger grown man needs a little tough love also. But Dray deserved better from him in his post game interview.

Dray and McGee played pretty damn well on national TV against a vet team. Dray is in the process of remaking himself. This was a tough challenge and they did well. Specially after not doing so well the past two games. Dray put in a summer of hard work. He paid his dues. He did deserved some praise in a television post game interview from his head coach.

If Flip wanted to teach him a lesson by tough love, that should have been done in private. On national TV, he should have been more positive.

The pissing down their legs comment was uncalled for. I would think he lost a little respect from his players by doing that.
RealGM

Post#154 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 8, 2010 3:11 pm

hands11 wrote:I feel what your saying but I will point out that these are not kids, they are grown men.

While I agree with your take on being positive with kids, sometimes a grown man or even more so a younger grown man needs a little tough love also. But Dray deserved better from him in his post game interview.

Dray and McGee played pretty damn well on national TV against a vet team. Dray is in the process of remaking himself. This was a tough challenge and they did well. Specially after not doing so well the past two games. Dray put in a summer of hard work. He paid his dues. He did deserved some praise in a television post game interview from his head coach.

If Flip wanted to teach him a lesson by tough love, that should have been done in private. On national TV, he should have been more positive.

The pissing down their legs comment was uncalled for. I would think he lost a little respect from his players by doing that.

That is ALL I'm saying, hands.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#155 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 8, 2010 3:22 pm

I am beginning to understand why Flip's players began to tune him out in Detroit. After a while all of the scorn and disrespect heaped onto certain players, there is going to be a back-lash. Some players can respond w/o ill-effect to this kind of tongue-lashing, some are going to withdraw inward and become fearful players.

Bottom-line, Flip lashes-out and is a poor communicator when angry.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,287

Post#156 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 8, 2010 3:41 pm

closg00 wrote:I am beginning to understand why Flip's players began tune him out in Detroit. After a while all of the scorn and disrespect heaped onto certain players, there is going to be a back-lash. Some players can respond w/o ill-effect to this kind of tongue-lashing, are going to withdraw inward and become fearful players.

Bottom-line, Flip lashes-out and is a poor communicator when angry.

Agreed. I've been a supporter of Flip all season, but I have to side with the anti-Flip faction on this issue. Flip was wrong to publically chastise Blatche. Blatche has been playing his butt off since the trade and has reportedly been putting in the work in practice as well. At this point, Blatche is on the right track. He doesn't need any mind games to screw things up. Just let him play. When he does something wrong, quietly tell him what he has done wrong and put him back on the court.

Blatche took a couple of bad "heat check" jumpers in the 3rd quarter. They were bad shots. I'm sure Blatche realized as soon as they clanged out that they were bad shots. All Flip needed to do was glare at Blatche a bit and then let it go.
cavsfan_osiris
Starter
And1: 4

Post#157 » by cavsfan_osiris » Mon Mar 8, 2010 4:38 pm

I was hoping Flip learned his lesson from past experiences, but I'm not sure based on publicly calling out Blatche. I don't see what good can come from that. He could have easily talked to him behind the scenes off the record.

If he was going to do anything publicly it should have been to have his player's back.
much respect to the 2011-2012 champions, Miami Heat, well deserved
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#158 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Mar 8, 2010 4:44 pm

cavsfan_osiris wrote:I was hoping Flip learned his lesson from past experiences, but I'm not sure based on publicly calling out Blatche. I don't see what good can come from that. He could have easily talked to him behind the scenes off the record.

If he was going to do anything publicly it should have been to have his player's back.

That's probably why most of his players tuned him out at the end of his Pistons tenure. Why hasn't he called out Mike Miller for playing like a worthless bag of poo and Foye for jacking up every bad shot he manages to get? His daily press victims are always Blatche, McGee and Young.
"I see myself as defending myself as a player. I'm a man, just like they a man. If a man is talking to me this close to my face," Blatche said, moving his hand toward his cheek. "I'm going to say something back. He has to respect me just like I respect him. I just, 'Get up out of my face.' He was this close in my face - I can feel his lips touching my cheek - I wasn't bragging saying 'Ah we winning.' It was 'Back up.' "

What is Flip trying to tell him? Play like a pussy and back down when a punk like KG is yapping his mouth? No way do I believe Flip that Blatche started it. Garnett is a big time ahole and trash talks and yells obscenities all 48 minutes of the game.

Instead of sticking for his current player, Flip takes the side of his old super star. That's all I need to know. Flip's mind is not in DC, he doesn't want to coach this mess and has no interest in a rebuilding squad. More so, I fear he might make McGee and Blatche question themselves as players and athletes. Put this guy out of his misery and buy him out next year. No need for a win now coach to waste his time on a young team.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#159 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Mon Mar 8, 2010 4:51 pm

Just browsed the BOS board....I like it..

Andray "Hakeem" Blatche anyone?

Must say, Thorton and Blatche are playing like all-stars tonight

Mcgee+Blache+thornton...great young trio

If allowed, I would void KG's contract right now.

He is officially all done.

Wow KG and Sheed are seriously getting schooled by Blatche! Our guys like to talk but they can't back it up anymore!

Andray Blatche is unstoppable!
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#160 » by keynote » Mon Mar 8, 2010 5:04 pm

Yeah, I agree that Flip was in the wrong for criticizing Blatche.

Moreover, as I've said before in this forum, I think the "don't talk trash, lest we wake the dragon" strategy is a loser strategy. I'm not saying that all winners talk trash - some do (Bird, Jordan); some don't (Dream, Duncan). But I can't think of any winners who didn't talk trash (or return trash-talk in kind) for fear of antagonizing his opponent.

Flip shouldn't be encouraging Blatche to back down from KG, just because KG is "a guy that's been defensive player of the year and is probably the best power forward." If Blatche is going to be a legit player in this league, then he needs to be able to take it to the KGs of the league, *especially* when they're "juiced up to play against" him. If Blatche is a trash-talker, let him talk trash. If Blatche is a "strong, silent" type, then let *him* decide when and where to respond to an opponent's woofing.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.

Return to Washington Wizards