ImageImageImageImageImage

Mike Lee: Gilbert distraught over the death of his mother

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Wiz at Lakers Game Thread 

Post#1 » by dlts20 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Condonlences to Gil. It seems like Gil cant catch a break. I think he’s going to be a brand new man next year and player.
---------------------

Gilbert Arenas loses his mother

Gilbert Arenas already faces a difficult week ahead, with his sentencing for felony gun possession set for Friday. But Arenas’s troubles were magnified recently, when he discovered that his estranged mother, Mary Francis Robinson, died in Miami.

Robinson passed away on March 13, but Arenas didn’t find out until a few days later, according to multiple sources. The cause of her death is not known.

Arenas wasn’t close to his mother, who abandoned him at young age and left him to be raised by his father, Gilbert Sr., from the time that he was 3. Arenas met his mother only once in the past 25 years. In his second season with the Golden State Warriors, Robinson approached him after a game in Miami. Although he has not been in communication with Robinson, Arenas paid for her funeral expenses.

Arenas is said to be distraught over her death. Arenas said he never held any animosity toward his mother, but his one encounter is believed to have traumatized him. Arenas always said that he planned on reconnecting with Robinson after his playing days were over. He never got the chance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00830.html
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Re: Wiz at Lakers Game Thread 

Post#2 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Feel for Gilbert. I can speak from a personal experience that never having a chance to bond with your parents and living with that burden for the rest of your life is tougher than anything you can imagine.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: Wiz at Lakers Game Thread 

Post#3 » by no D in Hibachi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Wizards2Lottery wrote:Feel for Gilbert. I can speak from a personal experience that never having a chance to bond with your parents and living with that burden for the rest of your life is tougher than anything you can imagine.

Yeah, it takes a lot of courage to do what you and Gil have done. Tough loss for Gil, it's all a change of persepective now from 'what could be' to 'what could have been'.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Mike Lee: Gilbert distraught over the death of his mother 

Post#4 » by fishercob » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 pm

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizard ... l#comments

Gilbert Arenas already faces a difficult week ahead, with his sentencing for felony gun possession set for Friday. But Arenas's troubles were magnified recently, when he discovered that his estranged mother, Mary Francis Robinson, died in Miami.

Robinson passed away on March 13, but Arenas didn't find out until a few days later, according to multiple sources. The cause of her death is not known.

Arenas wasn't close to his mother, who abandoned him at young age and left him to be raised by his father, Gilbert Sr., from the time that he was 3. Arenas met his mother only once in the past 25 years. In his second season with the Golden State Warriors, Robinson approached him after a game in Miami. Although he has not been in communication with Robinson, Arenas paid for her funeral expenses.

Arenas is said to be distraught over her death. Arenas said he never held any animosity toward his mother, but his one encounter is believed to have traumatized him. Arenas always said that he planned on reconnecting with Robinson after his playing days were over. He never got the chance.

Poor Gil.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Re: Mike Lee: Gilbert distraught over the death of his mother 

Post#5 » by Halcyon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Damn...
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#6 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Now that is just sad.

Wonder why he was going to wait until after his playing days.

If nothing else.. I good lesson for all of us. Don't wait until tomorrow, It may never come.

I know this has been a big issue for Gil in his life. I hope he finds some peace.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:53 pm

When it rains, it pours. That's certainly been true of Gil the past couple years. My condolences to him and the entire Arenas family.

I can't relate to never having known my parents. I can relate to knowing them, and then figuring out that my life is better without them in it. That sucks, but at least I know. I imagine that not ever knowing what that person was like or having the chance to explore that relationship must have an element of loss to it that's really tough.

I just hope that Gil deals with this maturely. I really hope he doesn't just wrap himself up in video games and practical jokes. Whatever issues he has regarding this, he's got to deal with them head on so he can get on with his life and not be stuck in a dark place for years to come.

Again, my condolences.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#8 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 am

LyricalRico wrote:When it rains, it pours. That's certainly been true of Gil the past couple years. My condolences to him and the entire Arenas family.

I can't relate to never having known my parents. I can relate to knowing them, and then figuring out that my life is better without them in it. That sucks, but at least I know. I imagine that not ever knowing what that person was like or having the chance to explore that relationship must have an element of loss to it that's really tough.

I just hope that Gil deals with this maturely. I really hope he doesn't just wrap himself up in video games and practical jokes. Whatever issues he has regarding this, he's got to deal with them head on so he can get on with his life and not be stuck in a dark place for years to come.

Again, my condolences.

Now that was getting real. I'm sure more than a handful of people on here can relate to what your saying and appreciate your honesty. I had that kind of experience with my father and made some progress with him as I got older. But even after I forgave him, you really can't replace what was a lost opportunity. We get along fine now but that bound just isnt there like it could have been.

Being a great parent is the most important thing anyone can do in their life.

Family should be a positive experience. And while no family is perfect, I have seen great families and the effect they have of the people who are raised in them. It is a shame that isn't more of a common experience. And for all the things we think will make us happy in life, being a part of creating a good family environment really is the only meaningful thing there is. Be that a family you are born to or a family of friends.

I like to think in some ways we have a little bit of a family here. While we may bicker at times and posture, I would lend an ear to anyone who needed one. Hopefully Gils loose if a wake up call to all of us to remember what is really important.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#9 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:47 am

^ I guess the point I was trying to make is that, even though this is a tough time for him, there's the possibility that Gil might actually be better off in the longrun. I'm not saying that's the case, but this is the same woman that rolled out on him when he was a kid. I just don't think we can assume that reconnecting with long-lost relatives is always a good thing. In a perfect world, yes. But this isn't a perfect world and sometimes things that are lost should stay lost.

Gil - just get through it, man. Everything will be ok.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#10 » by fishercob » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:04 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ I guess the point I was trying to make is that, even though this is a tough time for him, there's the possibility that Gil might actually be better off in the longrun. I'm not saying that's the case, but this is the same woman that rolled out on him when he was a kid. I just don't think we can assume that reconnecting with long-lost relatives is always a good thing. In a perfect world, yes. But this isn't a perfect world and sometimes things that are lost should stay lost.

Gil - just get through it, man. Everything will be ok.

I've been told that you don't really feel like an adult until you've lost a parent. Perhaps this is a difficult catalyst that helps Gil work through some of his Peter Pan issues. A lot of Gil's success in the past seemed to be as a direct result of the tribulations he had gone through. Hopefully he's able to find some peace as a result of all the hell he's gone through over the past few years and be happier, more balanced person, and serious asset to the franchise.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#11 » by verbal8 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:20 pm

I feel bad for Gil. He has really had a rough time the past couple years.

I hope the team is supportive of him as a person now and as a player next season.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#12 » by dlts20 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:05 pm

hands11 wrote:Now that is just sad.

Wonder why he was going to wait until after his playing days.

If nothing else.. I good lesson for all of us. Don't wait until tomorrow, It may never come.

I know this has been a big issue for Gil in his life. I hope he finds some peace.

yeah, I actually keep putting off stuff with my pops who I use to be best friends with but now Ive only talked to him a handful of times in the past few years since weve been beefin

Return to Washington Wizards