Favorite College player that never made it

Moderator: bwgood77

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Favorite College player that never made it 

Post#41 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:22 pm

CR Reina wrote:Miles Simon and Hollis Price.

I like the Miles Simon pick. While I knew he wasn't a great fit in for the NBA, he was a special college player with tremendous intangibles for the college atmosphere.

The college player I was sure would make it in the NBA and didn't was Jay Williams' predecessor at Duke - Will Avery. I still blame Coach K for ruining him psychologically by blasting him in the media for his decision to go pro.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
themaster07
Veteran
And1: 28

Post#42 » by themaster07 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:09 am

Not necessarily my favorite but guys over the years that had very big numbers in college that I thought would transition well in the NBA.

- Rafael Araujo: I thought he was the 2nd coming of David West college wise. He was built like a train and dominated every time I saw him played.
- Juan Dixon: I thought he was just as good as Jay Williams was. He was the heart and soul of Maryland.
- Eddie Griffin: The freshmen hype machine. Was considered at one point to be the #1 draft pick. Great looking player in college but never showed up.
- Twin Towers: Remember at one point the Collins twins dominated the country? The other twin towers (Brook and Robin) weren't as good as these guys were in college despite being better pros.
ImageImageImage
Ca
Pro Prospect
And1: 169

Post#43 » by Ca » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:12 am

-Salim Stoudamire
-Omar Cook
-Nik Caner-Medley
-Mustafa Shakur
-JamesOn Curry
crgreen
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#44 » by crgreen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Haven't seen Baby Jordan mentioned - Harold Minor.
crgreen
Sophomore

Post#45 » by crgreen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:51 pm

crgreen wrote:Haven't seen Baby Jordan mentioned - Harold Minor.

Also, thought the NCAA's all time shot blocker, Jarvis Vanardo, would have made it. But, he is doing well in the D-League, so still a chance....
crgreen
Sophomore

Post#46 » by crgreen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:55 pm

themaster07 wrote:Not necessarily my favorite but guys over the years that had very big numbers in college that I thought would transition well in the NBA.

- Rafael Araujo: I thought he was the 2nd coming of David West college wise. He was built like a train and dominated every time I saw him played.
- Juan Dixon: I thought he was just as good as Jay Williams was. He was the heart and soul of Maryland.
- Eddie Griffin: The freshmen hype machine. Was considered at one point to be the #1 draft pick. Great looking player in college but never showed up.
- Twin Towers: Remember at one point the Collins twins dominated the country? The other twin towers (Brook and Robin) weren't as good as these guys were in college despite being better pros.

Boy, really got to get a definition of "making it". Jason Collins is in his 12 year in the league, and has made over $32 Million in his NBA career. Brother Jarron played a decade in the league, making over $15 Million.

But not sure you're remembering the Collins/Lopez twins college careers all that clearly....Jarron was 3.8pts/3.5 rebs fr, 5.9/5.2 so, 11.0/6.5 jr, 12.8/6.7 sr. Jason was 7.0/6.0 fr, 4.1/3.3 so, 8.3/6.1 jr, 14.5/7.8 Sr.

The Lopez bros in college were: Brook: 12.6/6.0 fr, 19.3/8.2 so; Robin was 7.5/5.2 Fr, 10.2/5.7 so.
themaster07
Veteran
And1: 28

Post#47 » by themaster07 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:32 am

^ Trust me. I remember clearly. The Lopez twins never sparked fear.

The Collins twin along w/ Casey Jacobsen were the #1 ranked team in the country at one point and were a force. The dang twins clogged up the lane and were bigger and bulkier than the Lopez. Sharing the load with Jacobsen, Jason Collins would post up and drain shots during crunch time. Still till this day, I find it puzzling that Jason Collins' offensive game disappeared in the NBA. The guy would put 15-20 pt games on a consistent basis and yet he can't score a lick. The guy had a freaking post up game and a jumper. I mean, the twins put up solid numbers against some stiff competition in the Pac 12 w/ UCLA having Kapono, Watson, Gadzuric and Barnes. Whereas Arizona had Loren Wood, Jefferson, Arenas, and Jason Gardner.

I'll also throw in Loren Woods in this thread. He was a lottery talent that fell off the face of earth.

Thinking back on it now, boy how we forget how stacked these Pac 10 teams were back in 98-01. Does anyone remember Eugene Edgerson? That dude rocked a mean Afro.
ImageImageImage

Return to NCAA Basketball