Marcus Smart isn't that good.

Moderator: bwgood77

xtconeforme
Ballboy
And1: 1

Marcus Smart isn't that good. 

Post#1 » by xtconeforme » Wed Dec 4, 2013 1:22 pm

I don't like Smart's game at all.

He averages just 3.6 assists, while turning it over 3.1 times per game. He just doesn't seem to be a floor general, that organises the game and looks to set up his teammates very often. Also, he hasn't really displayed the type of court vision from an elite PG.

Yes, he is athletic and very tenacious, but seems to be out of control too often and plays the game at just one speed, which is something I don't want from my PG.

In the NBA, I see him as an inefficient and turnover prone scorer.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Marcus Smart isn't that good. 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 4:28 pm

He is playing on a college team. His team isn't built around him -- like NBA teams are built. He doesn't really have much around him to convert his passes into assists. He definitely has two speeds, he's a great scorer and an excellent passer. His court vision isn't the best in transition, but that's something that can be fixed. He's also excellent at stealing and on-ball defense. Also has great size and athleticism.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#3 » by snoopdogg88 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 12:34 am

i like him more as a shooting guard/combo guard

i don't think he will ever be some elite point guard ala a Rose/Payton

see him more as a Harden
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#4 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:27 am

snoopdogg88 wrote:i

see him more as a Harden

Sent from my SCH-I800 using RealGM Forums mobile app

That's offensive, marcus smart plays defense. Lol I see him as less explosive wade with the same jumper and more of a defensive mindset. Havent judged his handles though. Good passer.

Basically a Wealthy mans Averly Bradley mixed with A poor mans wade
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Bodie Broadus
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#5 » by Bodie Broadus » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:49 pm

xtconeforme wrote:I don't like Smart's game at all.

He averages just 3.6 assists, while turning it over 3.1 times per game. He just doesn't seem to be a floor general, that organises the game and looks to set up his teammates very often. Also, he hasn't really displayed the type of court vision from an elite PG.

Yes, he is athletic and very tenacious, but seems to be out of control too often and plays the game at just one speed, which is something I don't want from my PG.

In the NBA, I see him as an inefficient and turnover prone scorer.

Those statistics really mean nothing, he's one of those new breed of attacking guards. While he has worked on his outside shot, he's more of a muscle guard. I haven't quite been able to pinpoint a comparison for him yet, but the fact that you're saying he's "not good" is uninformed and shortsighted. A smart coaching staff will find a way to use him and he'll be a nice pro. The game has changed, the "point guard" term is hard to describe in this era.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#6 » by SBM » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:01 pm

I agree and if you believe in some advanced stats that I have come across his inefficient offensive play shows up.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Rodney Stuckey 2.0
BUCKSWEATSHIRT
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#8 » by BUCKSWEATSHIRT » Sat Feb 1, 2014 5:20 am

I could compare him to Baron Davis. Jumper is inconsistent, finishes strong at the rim, is athletic, only a inch taller than Baron, Has solid rebounding for a guard. He just doesn't have Baron's handles or passing ability yet.
License2Lillard
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#9 » by License2Lillard » Sat Feb 1, 2014 11:05 pm

Kinda reminds me of Tyreke Evans. I don't like the comparison, but that's who I think of when I watch him.
number15 wrote:If Tracy McGrady makes it to the HOF, then so should DeMar Derozan :-?
johnnybukbuk
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by johnnybukbuk » Sun Feb 2, 2014 12:53 am

Marcus Smart is a better overall player at this stage than Tyreke Evans, if drafted by the right team...this guy will be dangerous
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#11 » by Blast Tyrant » Mon Feb 3, 2014 3:40 pm

He's really nothing special. Tyler Ennis's game is miles ahead of his and he doesn't get close to the same amount of hype. He has a nice body? I'll give him that much. As far as playing basketball though? He's really unspectacular and doesn't have floor general instincts in any way. Defensively he has a lot of potential but I'm not sold on him being a good NBA player at all.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#12 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 9:38 pm

My favorite college player. Would look great in a Bucks uniform. Not fantastic in the skills department but works on his game. A good but not great passer.....sees the floor better than you think and looks for the open man. Improved his jumper from last year, but it still needs work. One of the few guards who can steal, block shots, and can pass for lob dunks and take passes and do lob dunks himself. He'll be an excellent two-way player whose desire you'll never have to question. Quick enough to guard fast guards and strong and big enough to guard big sgs. Will do whatever it takes to win. And he'll only be 20 at the start of next season.
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#13 » by Bubstubbler » Wed Feb 5, 2014 5:45 am

rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,138

Post#14 » by rockmanslim » Wed Feb 5, 2014 6:04 pm

Bubstubbler wrote:Image

Well, he has been compared to Wade and Harden.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Amish Mafioso
Banned User
And1: 1,004

Post#15 » by Amish Mafioso » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:47 pm

doordoor123 wrote:He is playing on a college team. His team isn't built around him -- like NBA teams are built. .

Lmao
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:00 am

License2Lillard wrote:Kinda reminds me of Tyreke Evans. I don't like the comparison, but that's who I think of when I watch him.

Evans is a shooting guard who handles the ball a lot. His court awareness is pretty bad. Smart is a much more aware real pg who plays hard on off. and defense. Two dissimilar players.
Waka Flocka
Ballboy
And1: 48

Post#17 » by Waka Flocka » Sun Feb 1, 2015 11:27 pm

he reminds me of novak djokavic
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#18 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:57 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:
License2Lillard wrote:Kinda reminds me of Tyreke Evans. I don't like the comparison, but that's who I think of when I watch him.

Evans is a shooting guard who handles the ball a lot. His court awareness is pretty bad. Smart is a much more aware real pg who plays hard on off. and defense. Two dissimilar players.

I think that they're more similar than you're giving credit. Evans has played a lot lead guard himself, his court awareness is not that bad and the jury is still out on Smart being a full-time PG. The thing holding Evans back from being a star has always been his shooting.

Smart's offense is definitely work in progress but he has the makings of an elite defender and might be there already. And he's suddenly shooting a decent rate from deep and has cut down on his TO's, which everyone thought would be his 2 biggest problems. But he's still not even close to Evan's class as an offensive player right now because for some reason he doesn't attack the rim very much and he can't finish when he does.

I'm not sure if he'll ever fully figure it out but it's definitely too early to write him off.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Johnlac1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:47 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:

I think that they're more similar than you're giving credit. Evans has played a lot lead guard himself, his court awareness is not that bad and the jury is still out on Smart being a full-time PG. The thing holding Evans back from being a star has always been his shooting.

Smart's offense is definitely work in progress but he has the makings of an elite defender and might be there already. And he's suddenly shooting a decent rate from deep and has cut down on his TO's, which everyone thought would be his 2 biggest problems. But he's still not even close to Evan's class as an offensive player right now because for some reason he doesn't attack the rim very much and he can't finish when he does.

I'm not sure if he'll ever fully figure it out but it's definitely too early to write him off.

Evans is a sg who handles the ball a lot. His instincts are to shoot first. Smart has much better court awareness and pg instincts. He can't finish like Evans but is a better outside shooter. Smart is making a respectable 35% of threes while Evans career three ball pct. is .275.
fivecardstud14
Freshman
And1: 118

Post#20 » by fivecardstud14 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:24 pm

I think he has some Kirk Hinrich in him (circa 2004-2006).

Return to NCAA Basketball