Thoughts on McDermott's Transition to NBA?

Moderator: bwgood77

Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Re: Thoughts on McDermott's Transition to NBA? 

Post#121 » by Promezclan » Sun Mar 9, 2014 6:43 pm

McDermotts shooting has been a lot more impressive than Morrisons's:
4 years: 59% 2PT, 46% 3PT, 83% FT
3 years: 55% 2PT, 37% 3PT, 76% FT

Even Morrison's outlier final year was well below McDermott's average.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#122 » by Rosque » Sun Mar 9, 2014 7:29 pm

He'll be in the league for two years then go to Europe and become a star.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#123 » by VC-INJURY » Sun Mar 9, 2014 8:15 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
VC-INJURY wrote:Brutally unathletic and already 22 years old. He'll just be another example of guys who excelled in college but sucked in the NBA.

Yeah, already 22 years old... time to get out the wheelchair for that old geezer.

Might want to elaborate more after making such a blatant statement that he'll suck in the NBA.

You can just tell he's going to be one of those guys who plays really well in college but not that great in the NBA. Sean May, Hansbrough, Adam Morrison etc. are all guys who killed it in college and were mediocre in the NBA.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#124 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:42 am

VC-INJURY wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
VC-INJURY wrote:Brutally unathletic and already 22 years old. He'll just be another example of guys who excelled in college but sucked in the NBA.

Yeah, already 22 years old... time to get out the wheelchair for that old geezer.

Might want to elaborate more after making such a blatant statement that he'll suck in the NBA.

You can just tell he's going to be one of those guys who plays really well in college but not that great in the NBA. Sean May, Hansbrough, Adam Morrison etc. are all guys who killed it in college and were mediocre in the NBA.

You just repeated yourself. Didn't actually give a reason. A guy like may didn't come close to mcdermott's production, by the way. He also played himself out of the league by being out of shape.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#125 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:42 am

As a catch-and-shoot player, McDermott could at least be Kyle Korver: a deadly shooter who can space the floor and won't kill you on defense. But McDermott also gets to the free throw line 6.4 times per game, grabs almost seven rebounds and consistently seems in heat-check mode.

He's not a premier NBA scorer but could be a second option or the leader of an NBA team's second unit. Run the offense through him while the starters sit, and if you're down late, he's certainly a potential crunch time scorer and shooter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/ne ... z2vX1AH7dR
barborous
Sixth Man
And1: 269

Post#126 » by barborous » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:50 am

If he can accustom himself to NBA range 3s early, I see a decent career for him. But the ceiling will never be very high.
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#127 » by VC-INJURY » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
VC-INJURY wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

You just repeated yourself. Didn't actually give a reason. A guy like may didn't come close to mcdermott's production, by the way. He also played himself out of the league by being out of shape.

I've been watching ball for so long now I can just tell when a guy either has it or doesn't. Guys like McDermott thrive in a system, and college ball is all about systems. NBA is much more fluid and open.

- He's already horrid at posting up and driving; will only be more apparent in the NBA
- Too damn slow to be a SF in the NBA; too small to be a PF
- Can't do much off the dribble and has 4/10 handles

If he was a 6'11 PF, then McDermott would have an easier time transitioning to the NBA and would be much more valuable given his skill-set. Like I said before, at 6'8, he's going to be too slow to play the SF and too small to play the PF spot in the NBA.

He'll never start in the NBA and his peak will be averaging around 12 ppg for one season.
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 614

Post#128 » by bballcool34 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:54 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:I'd love the Bulls to snag him with their 1st pick, but he'll go in the top 10. Bulls need shooters and thibs can turn horrible defenders into adequate with his system. Excited to see him in the pros.

I like the Paul pierce comparisons.

Pierce was above average athletically in his prime--he was a very good athlete in fact- and had good handles. He plays nothing not now or then like McDermott.
Damn
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#129 » by Lexluthor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:44 am

I don't get why the Media Hypes him up . We all know at best he either going to be mediocre or just a bust like Adam Morrison and Jimmer Freddette
Abdul-McFar
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#130 » by Abdul-McFar » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:22 am

I love this never start in the NBA stuff. It's like everyone only thinks about the top 15 teams in the NBA. I think he would be valuable starter on the bottom in of the NBA, but none of them should be drafting him that early. So probably excellent role player on a good team. I don't see him playing euro, he would coach before that. Think he can make it as a bench 4 for a while, that would just play less for certain match ups.
neiiru_3
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#131 » by neiiru_3 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:12 am

I wouldn't be surprised if he outlast many of the more highly touted guys coming out in the draft. I don't think he will break out fast. But I think he will have a long solid NBA career. He's fundamentally sound and smart. That can take him further than just being really athletic like some of the other guys.
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#132 » by willywazza » Tue Apr 8, 2014 7:10 am

I hope he won't be a second coming of Adam Morrison.

Return to NCAA Basketball