Summer League - Fantasy Relevance

Fantasy Ball talk.

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky

Joshlloyd48
Ballboy
And1: 8

Summer League - Fantasy Relevance 

Post#1 » by Joshlloyd48 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm going to be recording a podcast tomorrow wrapping up Summer League from a fantasy perspective, who do you think made a move in standard league relevance based on their summer league play? I'm thinking KCP, Bennett, Gorgui Dieng, Hardaway. Who else do you think boosted their stock?
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Summer League - Fantasy Relevance 

Post#2 » by Kabookalu » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Giannis is the only one that comes to mind.
Read on Twitter
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#3 » by whitehops » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 pm

I don't think summer league should influence their fantasy draft stock at all.

you can, however, make note of who did well and then pay close attention to them during the preseason.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#4 » by Doormatt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:29 am

summer league is irrelevant lol
#doorgek
chaps316
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by chaps316 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:29 pm

Summer League is irrelevant until it's not irrelevant. I know no one should trust summer league production, but two years ago I was going to reach big time for Lillard and the guy in front of me one-upped me. I'm still not over that one.

Yes I know that there will always be exceptions to the general rule...
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#6 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:52 pm

The problem with summer league, or at least one of the problems is that it doesn't really speak to a team's ability to give rookies minutes. Warren can score from anywhere and is an absolute stud... However, will he be stuck behind an extended Tucker and Marcus Morris?

Those are the types of issues that aren't really answered in summer league.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Fenris-77
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,208

Post#7 » by Fenris-77 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:56 am

Summer League gives you some useful information about ability. Ability+minutes = fantasy relevance. What Summer League doesn't address is level of competition issues and the aforementioned playing time issue. For guys with a clear path to minutes a solid SL performance is a nice confirmation of skill level, but a bad SL showing really isn't indicative the other way. Durant had a terrible SL his first year for example. Personally, I draft rookies based 70% or more on playing time concerns, even in keeper leagues (although not dynasty formats).
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#8 » by Doormatt » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:04 am

like 90% of fantasy basketball is minutes available, if someone is going to get time then they are going to produce, and thats what you should be looking for outside of your core players. summer league is irrelevant because most if not all of these guys are going to be playing extremely limited minutes.
#doorgek
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#9 » by Moooose » Thu Sep 4, 2014 7:11 am

In some really deep leagues, I'd say it could have some relevance, especially if it is a deep keeper league.
I am in this one league with 20 teams and 18 players per team. This league always make me giving some attention to the summer league, looking at possible long-term talents.
Got Miles Plumlee two years ago and kept him for last year after seeing his play in the summer league for the Pacers. Well, it turned out it was a good pick. Last year I got Ray McCallum deep in the draft. With Isiah Thomas out and with his strong play late in the season, he'll be an interesting investment.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#10 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 4:32 pm

I've always been tracking Cole Aldrich, and after one game in Summer League he's back on my radar again. It's a mater of production, possibilities and current roster situation on their team. I think Aldrich, for example, has a good chance to play approx 24 minutes a game. His competition is Dalembert and maybe Amare, Smith or Bargs, none of whom fit the triangle as well as Aldrich does IMO.

Edit: Also, most interesting thing to take away from SL might be the comments made by their coaches/teams. It could give an indication of what they expect from players upcoming season.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#11 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Summer league is almost impossible to take anything away from for fantasy purposes as far as talent is concerned. Really, teams are trying to do different things from game to game, so how a player performs will have a lot more to do with whether or not a teams is playing to that player's strengths at any given point or trying to do something completely different. As many others have mentioned, minutes available in the regular season are a far better guide as it usually indicates a level of trust the team has in the player that may still be there if the player is buried, but may not. As far as skills goes, summer league won't really tell a person much that they couldn't have gotten from scouting the player beforehand.
Bucket! Bucket!

Return to Fantasy Basketball