Where to draft Kevin Durant now?

Fantasy Ball talk.

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky

WTFS
Ballboy
And1: 0

Where to draft Kevin Durant now? 

Post#1 » by WTFS » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:35 pm

Obviously, LBJ is top dawg now, but at what point in the 1st round do YOU pick KD?! What a tough decision if you haven't drafted yet. Me personally? I will have to pass in the 1st round, would rather pretend he went 1st overall then risk not having him until the New Year!
kinghasnoequal
Senior
And1: 897

Re: Where to draft Kevin Durant now? 

Post#2 » by kinghasnoequal » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:46 pm

1st. You draft for playoffs.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#3 » by jimmy keys » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:04 pm

Right now I'd still lean towards taking him first. He'll miss a month of the season max.

Also I'm leaning towards taking Davis over Lebron @ 2. Lots of mouths to feed in Cleveland.

Anyways it's too early to answer this right now is the real truth.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#4 » by Moooose » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:39 pm

If you think you can survive about 2 months without him, then he should be the first pick. I know it would be hard to win without him but at least make losing manageable and try to prevent blow-out losses. If he comes back, you'll be (hopefully and ideally) on your way up the standings.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#5 » by El Turco » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:03 am

those who drafted him, how do they guys plan on soften the blow? i have a pretty mediocre front court without him, should i take steven adams? perhaps gobbert?
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#6 » by Moooose » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:25 am

El Turco wrote:those who drafted him, how do they guys plan on soften the blow? i have a pretty mediocre front court without him, should i take steven adams? perhaps gobbert?

Would depend on how deep your league is, but it could be the wing guys who will get the bump in minutes and production - Anthony Morrow, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones III, Andre Roberson. Steven Adams, irregardless of the KD injury, is a good sleeper choice and could be drafted based on the potential that he will eventually take over Perkins' spot in the starting rotation.

It would be hard to try to soften the blow without your number one guy, as you have obviously build your team based on his strengths. I think you can try to avoid blow-out losses by being active in adding guys depending on your match-up's. Have 2 or more roster spots for guys you can add / drop on daily basis for the span of your match-up. For example, if your opponent is weak in blocks and FG%, try to add guys who can somehow help you in that categories and do not attempt to try to win in every category by just adding the best guy in the player pool. Know where you can win and forget those cats wherein you are sure to lose. You can try to analyze your opponent by looking at the schedule of their players and multiplying their stats with their games. From then on, you can now form your plan of attack.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#7 » by El Turco » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:32 am

what kind of stats do you expect from adams? any other pf/c sleepers? i am in pretty deep league, 14 teams
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,716

Post#8 » by CableKC » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:45 am

I have the #1 pick and given the Stat Catagories that I am focusing on for my 12 team H2H, I am honestly considering drafting AD over KD. I know that the missed months isn't a concern cuz ( as many of you have suggested ) that I should draft for the Playoffs.....but on BasketballMonster; if I punt the Stat Catagories that I am ignoring.......AD is the guy that comes up as my # option.

I wasn't expecting to get the #1 pick ( yes, in B2b seasons ) and was initially planning on drafting Ibaka in the tail end of the 1st round or early 2nd round ( cuz I wanted an elite shot blocker on my team )......so going after AD makes sense to cover my shotblocking needs while covering my rebounding/shotblocking/FG/FT stats focus.

I will likely go after KD in the end....but is anyone else possibly considering going after AD over KD for any reason with the #1 pick?
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#9 » by Kabookalu » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:32 am

El Turco wrote:what kind of stats do you expect from adams? any other pf/c sleepers? i am in pretty deep league, 14 teams

If he's still available I think Marcus Morris is going to be a surprise player.
Read on Twitter
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#10 » by Kabookalu » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:37 am

CableKC wrote:I have the #1 pick and given the Stat Catagories that I am focusing on for my 12 team H2H, I am honestly considering drafting AD over KD. I know that the missed months isn't a concern cuz ( as many of you have suggested ) that I should draft for the Playoffs.....but on BasketballMonster; if I punt the Stat Catagories that I am ignoring.......AD is the guy that comes up as my # option.

I wasn't expecting to get the #1 pick ( yes, in B2b seasons ) and was initially planning on drafting Ibaka in the tail end of the 1st round or early 2nd round ( cuz I wanted an elite shot blocker on my team )......so going after AD makes sense to cover my shotblocking needs while covering my rebounding/shotblocking/FG/FT stats focus.

I will likely go after KD in the end....but is anyone else possibly considering going after AD over KD for any reason with the #1 pick?

I would consider it because of the possibility of him upping his steals even more. His pick and roll defense in the worlds looked fantastic that he was able to pick off passes just by reaching over and grabbing it when guards tried making that pocket pass. I know that FIBA and the NBA are far different, but his pick and roll positioning was mediocre last year, and he's twice better now.

It's only been done by David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon in an era where the torrid pace could inflate stats, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was pushing 3bpg/2spg. Tall task but Davis is one of the most phenomenal basketball athletes of all time, he's built for elite defense.

Read on Twitter
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#11 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:10 am

WTFS wrote:Obviously, LBJ is top dawg now, but at what point in the 1st round do YOU pick KD?!

I'd personally roll the dice and pick Anthony Davis first overall without even thinking about it.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
CableKC
RealGM

Post#12 » by CableKC » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Choker wrote:
CableKC wrote:I have the #1 pick and given the Stat Catagories that I am focusing on for my 12 team H2H, I am honestly considering drafting AD over KD. I know that the missed months isn't a concern cuz ( as many of you have suggested ) that I should draft for the Playoffs.....but on BasketballMonster; if I punt the Stat Catagories that I am ignoring.......AD is the guy that comes up as my # option.

I would consider it because of the possibility of him upping his steals even more. His pick and roll defense in the worlds looked fantastic that he was able to pick off passes just by reaching over and grabbing it when guards tried making that pocket pass. I know that FIBA and the NBA are far different, but his pick and roll positioning was mediocre last year, and he's twice better now.

It's only been done by David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon in an era where the torrid pace could inflate stats, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was pushing 3bpg/2spg. Tall task but Davis is one of the most phenomenal basketball athletes of all time, he's built for elite defense.

So, I guess the answer is that you would consider drafting AD over KD given this recent development?

There is a concern on my part that such an injury could cause some lingering issues when it comes to his shooting and affect other parts of his Production.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#13 » by Kabookalu » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:48 pm

CableKC wrote:So, I guess the answer is that you would consider drafting AD over KD given this recent development?

There is a concern on my part that such an injury could cause some lingering issues when it comes to his shooting and affect other parts of his Production.

Yeah, I was considering it even before the Durant injury.

If Durant is someone you'd have chosen first overall anyways I'd still pick him first overall. Like others said you're playing for the playoffs, and Durant throughout the rest of the season is going to find his shooting touch eventually if he somehow lost it upon return, barring even more injuries. Plus his main competition, LeBron, has a pretty crappy playoff schedule. Davis is my only contender for top fantasy player against Durant with the reasons I alluded to, although his averaging 3bpg/2spg is not exactly a surefire thing.

Read on Twitter
CableKC
RealGM

Post#14 » by CableKC » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Choker wrote:
CableKC wrote:So, I guess the answer is that you would consider drafting AD over KD given this recent development?

Yeah, I was considering it even before the Durant injury.

If Durant is someone you'd have chosen first overall anyways I'd still pick him first overall. Like others said you're playing for the playoffs, and Durant throughout the rest of the season is going to find his shooting touch eventually if he somehow lost it upon return, barring even more injuries. Plus his main competition, LeBron, has a pretty crappy playoff schedule. Davis is my only contender for top fantasy player against Durant with the reasons I alluded to, although his averaging 3bpg/2spg is not exactly a surefire thing.

Okay......thx for the advice. As I mentioned before....I wasn't expecting to get the top 3 pick....so I wasn't considering calculating AD into my Draft Strategy equation ( who does fit my overall strategy ). But given the injury to KD....at the very least.....there is some reasonable and valid reasons to draft AD over KD.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,835

Post#15 » by Sofia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:17 pm

El Turco wrote:what kind of stats do you expect from adams? any other pf/c sleepers? i am in pretty deep league, 14 teams

I'm telling everyone!
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#16 » by Avalanche » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:13 am

This is a much bigger question for Roto than H2H
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,286

Post#17 » by lilroddyb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:20 pm

where would you guys pick Durant in Roto? Im not that good of a fantasy player so I have no Idea where to pick him. Is he still a top 5 pick? top 10? or what would you do?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#18 » by HornetJail » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:59 am

Davis was just picked in a league I'm drafting right now. I picked Durant third and pray that the rest of the team stays afloat in his absence.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Westbreezy
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#19 » by Westbreezy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:28 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:Davis was just picked in a league I'm drafting right now. I picked Durant third and pray that the rest of the team stays afloat in his absence.

I picked him up @ 5 and felt stupid for picking him over CP3. I bet you're **** bricks over picking him up over Harden/Curry
dub81 wrote:Byron had to do one of two things this year: Either win games or develop the youth. Swung and missed wildly on both.

Lakers 2015-16 Season in a Nutshell
pewing33ny
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#20 » by pewing33ny » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:19 pm

I have a standard H2H yahoo league (winners public) and took durant 4th. I really wanted AD because I think he will put up big minutes for the Pelicans towards the end of the year if they're fighting for a playoff spot.

I'm not high on Lebron because I think he's going to be rested down the stretch, KD will probably be fighting for seeding and since he'll get a couple months off he'll be fresh around the playoffs.

Honestly, if you are setting your roster every week you will be fine without Durant for the first couple months.
2016 predictions

GSW Clippers OKC Spurs Cleveland Hawks Miami Toronto
GSW Spurs Cleveland Miami
GSW Cleveland

Cavs 2016 champs

Return to Fantasy Basketball