**REALGM UNITE** Fantasy Scouting Reports

Fantasy Ball talk.

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky

onions17
Starter
And1: 637

**REALGM UNITE** Fantasy Scouting Reports 

Post#1 » by onions17 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:55 pm

I really believe this site is one of the best places to get opinions from hardcore fans. In the midst of my own fantasy draft tonight, I propose a thread with input from users from all different boards into fantasy scouting reports for the 13/14 season. I don't have time to keep up with all 30 teams roster moves / injuries / preseason performances, but if we all contribute I think we can compile a good collection of info that will help each other draft well. I'll start with Toronto and update the original post if we have scouting report contributions from other teams

TORONTO RAPTORS

Spoiler:
-Possible Sleepers: Amir Johnson
-Possible Flops: Terrence Ross
-Team outlook: Expect more of the same from last year's raptors team. With bench depth added in the off-season, Toronto's key players may expect a slight decrease in minutes. On the flip side, added continuity and strengthened team chemistry should balance out any drop in minutes with increased shooting percentages and decreased TO's for DeRozan and Lowry. Although this team is hoping for 3rd year players Terrence Ross and Jonas Valanciunas to step into an increased role, preseason indication is that this team will still run mainly through primary ball-handlers DeRozan and Lowry. Don't expect an astronomical leap from either of the third year players.

Player Breakdown

Demar Derozan --- 2013 ESPN rank: 45 --- 2014 ESPN projection: 51
DD has improved his skills every year he's been in the league and expect no different this season. However I don't expect his fantasy value to raise in a huge way. Expect DeRozan's minutes to decrease this season with a strengthened Toronto bench. He should slightly increase his 2PT% and 3PT% this season but expect everything else to remain similar to last year for a similar overall fantasy impact. ESPN rank 51 overall sounds slightly late to me, he finished #45 last season and should be able to live up to the same this year.

Kyle Lowry --- 2013 ESPN rank: 12 --- 2014 ESPN projection: 21
Amidst returning from a contract season, this preseason KLow has actually looks even sharper than he did last year. He came to the preseason in the best shape we've seen him in, and has played every game with laser-like focus. Last season he finished #12 in standard categories yet ESPN has project him at #21 this year. I believe he fits in at #18 at least. With added continuity on the roster, I see Lowry's TO's decreasing this year, assists to stay the same, and scoring/minutes may go slightly down with both Grevies Vasquez and Lou Williams clawing for backcourt minutes.

Jonas Valanciunas --- 2013 ESPN Rank: 78 --- 2014 ESPN projection: 71
Raptors fans hope to see a large increased role from Valanciunas on the offensive end this season. I don't see it happening, their offense will remain the same - play through Lowry and Derozan. However JV should see an increase in minutes, rebounding, and blocked shots. Expect him to increase his proficiency on the defensive end this year. I could see a decent fantasy rise from JV this season possibly breaking the top 60 players.

Terrence Ross --- 2013 ESPN Rank: 124 --- 2014 ESPN projection: 109
Ross has yet to show improvements from last season in the small sample size of presason. I don't expect there will be enough ball to go around and allow for TR to jump into a much bigger roll than last year. ESPN's jump from 124 to 109 is realistic only because of subtracting the first quarter of the sason last year that was spent sittting on the bench before the Rudy Gay trade took place and he became a starter.

Amir Johnson --- 2013 ESPN Rank: 61 --- 2014 ESPN projection: 123
Amir Johnson battled injuries last season and averaged 28 minutes a game missing only 5 but that is a bit deceiving as he played injured for many more. This season will hinge on Johnson's health. If he can stay at least as healthy as last season, a drop to rank 123 is not warranted and I would consider Johnson a fantasy sleeper. Even with Patrick Patterson and new addition James Johnson vying for minutes behind him, even in limited minutes Amir Johnson brings solid fantasy value.

Bench Unit
As long as the starters remain healthy, I would stay away from Toronto's bench this season. Keep an eye on either of Lou Williams or Greivis Vasquez if one of the raptors backcourt cast fall to injury, but until then there aren't enough minutes for GV or LW to have an impact. I imagine that with the increased depth this season, and in order for Dwayne Casey to keep everyone happy, there won't be anyone on the raptors bench able to carve out really significant fantasy minutes this year.
Q00 wrote:When scoring over 100 pts and giving up under 100 pts, they are 11-0

Clearly defense is the difference between winning and losing for this team.

Return to Fantasy Basketball