Wes Johnson, Patty Mills, Javell, Hawes

Fantasy Ball talk.

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Wes Johnson, Patty Mills, Javell, Hawes 

Post#1 » by 12footrim » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:48 pm

I'm in a 20 team, up to 13 keeper this year league. I took over the last place team 3 years ago and have since won the league and been one of the best teams. (Finished 4th last year). Needless to say I'm keeping about everyone but at the bottom it gets tricky.

Last day before rosters locked I picked up some wavier wire guys banking on potential and stuck two more players on my IR. I'm good and solid through 10 keepers.

I have the option of keeping 0 or 3 more from this list (age).

Wes Johnson (28)
Patty Mills (27)
Spencer Hawes (27)
Javell McGee (28)
Marcus Thorton (28)

Remember if I keep zero I'm drafting 11th rounders which is like 220 type players. I usually lean towards high productive per minute guys that are still under 30. Everyone of those guys but Patty Mills has posted a top 85 season before and Patty Mills has twice been a top 10 per minute fantasy player. It's just a matter of minutes and if some of these guys can even get contracts.

Assuming all are on rosters next year I'm leaning Wes Johnson although he hasn't been a great per minute guy and his role is in question. How does Hawes going to Charlotte affect him? I remember McBob did well.

I most question McGee. His last healthy year he was a top 135 player only playing 18 minutes a game. As a 13th rounder seems worth it, right? Drafting 260-280 type players at that point. I'm going to assume Patty Mills has a little larger role and gets back to 140 value.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
frytening
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Wes Johnson, Patty Mills, Javell, Hawes 

Post#2 » by frytening » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Wow, epic league you got there.

In your situation I'm taking Patty every time. As you said, his per minute production is elite and you can expect him to take a major role now that his shoulder is sorted and parker seems to be falling apart.

I think McGee is done more or less. Wes Johnson can be very reasonable in the right situation so he is a good risk to take. With Hawes you are probably hoping for injuries, which aren't unlikely. No idea about Thorton.
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,283

Post#3 » by Bank Shot » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:26 pm

I would go with the three extra keepers. I think you're getting some real nice value by going with this option due to Patty and Wes, even with the ugly 13th keeper options. I'm not sure Patty will be super useful this coming season (in a perfect world he would start but SA will be loyal to Parker) but he should be better since he'll be further removed from the injury and CJ will likely be gone. With Duncan likely done after this season, I'd be a little surprised if Patty wasn't an easy keeper by the end of the season. No Duncan in 16/17 likely means that Parker would be shipped.

Wes is nice value as well. We'll have to see where he ends up, but if he can grab a 25 MPG role somewhere his 1/1/1 potential is going to give him top-100 upside.

The rest of the options are ugly as you would expect with such a deep league. Unlike McBob, Hawes can't play PF so he's going to be at 16-18 minutes off the bench. Maybe he bounces back on a per minute basis but that's just not enough minutes to be useful. Thornton isn't even guaranteed to be in a rotation so you can't pick him. I guess JaVale is the pick by default. At least there's some upside there.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by 12footrim » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:42 pm

Bank Shot wrote:I would go with the three extra keepers. I think you're getting some real nice value by going with this option due to Patty and Wes, even with the ugly 13th keeper options. I'm not sure Patty will be super useful this coming season (in a perfect world he would start but SA will be loyal to Parker) but he should be better since he'll be further removed from the injury and CJ will likely be gone. With Duncan likely done after this season, I'd be a little surprised if Patty wasn't an easy keeper by the end of the season. No Duncan in 16/17 likely means that Parker would be shipped.

That's kind of how I feel. Mills wasn't good last year but when he was healthy he was a per minute beast which fits my team well because I basically punt assist and kill every good team on turnovers. I like a PG eligible player that doesn't really assist much for my strategy. I also think Danny Green and Belenilli might bounce and he could pick up some more minutes there. He's basically the SG when he plays with Ginobli.

Kaminsky likely killed Hawes value. Hoping he gets traded.

Here is the rest of my team BTW

K. Irving (23)
Horford (29)
Galinari (27)
Faried (26)
JR Smith (30)
Wilson Chandler (28)
Illyasova(28)
Brandan Wright (28)
Tony Allen (33)
P. Pierce(38)
W. Johnson (28)
P. Mills (27)

Hawes (27)
Javell (28)
Thorton (28)

Not really sure what to do with the 13. Probably just take Hawes or if the other guys sign anyway as I'll basically be picking 276th at that point and there is basically nothing left at that point.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by 12footrim » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:55 pm

frytening wrote:Wow, epic league you got there.

It really is a great league. I've tested a lot of 20 team leagues trying to find a good one and it's on another level from most. About 15 of the owners have been in it 3 or 4 years of the 5 and have settled in. There are 4 or 5 teams at the bottom that seem to turn over occasionally which seem to be pretty normal but there are very few dumb trades at this point. Really high caliber of owner.

Now rebuilding when your team gets washed up is going to be a hell. Basically the only way you get a top rookie is to keep 0 to 1 players and the rest of what's left are like 120-300 type players that are either old or with warts or young and getting no minutes. Basically about 5 attractive rookies that might get minutes and a few Josh Smith, Garnett, and Mike Dunleavy types in the redraft.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Fantasy Basketball