Revenue Sharing & Luxury Tax

Ephus
Ballboy
And1: 0

Revenue Sharing & Luxury Tax 

Post#1 » by Ephus » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Am I correct that the cap on revenue sharing at 30% of profits is based off of a determination of profits after determination of the luxury tax? For example, Larry Coon has an e-mail today stating that the Lakers are expected to make a revenue sharing payment of $49.8 million this year. Does that mean that the Lakers are expected to make a post-tax profit of $166 million this year, and a bottom line profit of $116 million?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Re: Revenue Sharing & Luxury Tax 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:13 am

Ephus wrote:Am I correct that the cap on revenue sharing at 30% of profits is based off of a determination of profits after determination of the luxury tax? For example, Larry Coon has an e-mail today stating that the Lakers are expected to make a revenue sharing payment of $49.8 million this year. Does that mean that the Lakers are expected to make a post-tax profit of $166 million this year, and a bottom line profit of $116 million?

The email you're referencing was presumably one from Coon to Henry Abbott, mentioned in this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... super-team

The reference there was not about this year, but rather about 2013-14. But yes, profit for purposes of revenue sharing would presumably be determined after all expenses (including luxury tax), which would mean under the assumptions Coon made, the Lakers would make a post-tax profit of $166 million for the year in question, with a bottom line of $116 million in net profit for the Buss family for that season.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#3 » by Dunkenstein » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:55 am

Unfortunately for the Buss family, Jerry has sold off a number of pieces of the Lakers over the years, so I doubt the Busses will even see $50M of that projected net profit.
Ephus
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Ephus » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:23 pm

In a twitter exchange with me, Larry Coon stated that luxury tax payments do not reduce team profits for purposes of determining revenue sharing payments.

Return to CBA & Business