Cap Consequences with Harden Trade?

HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Cap Consequences with Harden Trade? 

Post#1 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:20 pm

I am primarily concerned with OKC's options when it comes to Martin and his expiring contract. If he signs elsewhere will OKC get a TPE? Can they do an S&T and get a TPE?

I think Presti could do a lot with a 12M TPE and see that as more of an asset than Martin himself, unless they can get him at a discount. I just don't know why he would give a discount as he hasn't ever done so.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Re: Cap Consequences with Harden Trade? 

Post#2 » by Dunkenstein » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:17 pm

If he signs elsewhere as a free agent, OKC doesn't get a TPE. However, if they move him using a S&T, OKC will get a TPE.

It is worth noting that Martin's production has slipped in the past few years and he's missed a bunch of games due to injury, so I doubt he'll get his current $12.4M from any team in his next contract.
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#3 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:32 pm

It seems to me that expiring contracts are not as valuable in the current CBA as they were in the previous. Is this an accurate thought?
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#4 » by Gilles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Thunder has $65 million committed for 13/14 season without Martin and Maynor. I'm not sure they will find TPE useful for two years until Perk will expire and TPE will expire by then as well.
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#5 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Tax will start at what 73/74 next year? I loved Maynor before the knee but I don't exactly think he will break the bank. Obviously OKC wants to stay below the lux tax. Maybe Martin will allow that. Probably not. I thought they might receive some dispensation should they lose him. But possibly not. Which means they gave what will likely be the best SG in the league in a few years for some late 1s.
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#6 » by Bruteque » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:58 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:It seems to me that expiring contracts are not as valuable in the current CBA as they were in the previous. Is this an accurate thought?

The new CBA makes shedding salary more valuable, but it also makes taking on salary more punishing.

An expiring contract is only "valuable" if the team holding it is willing to take on bad salary in return for assets. Under the current CBA, the willing to take on bad salary, which an expiring contract enables you to do, is actually more valuable (worth more assets in return). However, this is, of course, because taking on bad salary under the current CBA is more punishing. The right way to think about an expiring is as a tool that enables you to take on bad salary. The expiring isn't the asset here; your team's willingness to take on bad salary with the expiring is.

Is OKC willing to take on bad salary? I would say no. Without the willingness to take on bad salary, Martin's "expiringness" is worth nothing to OKC. That is, of course, not to say that Martin is worth nothing to OKC. Now if a team actually wants Martin as a player, then he may be worth something to OKC if that team cannot sign Martin outright.

Return to CBA & Business