Resigning Expiring Contracts after Trade

Skip2MY
Sophomore
And1: 17

Resigning Expiring Contracts after Trade 

Post#1 » by Skip2MY » Fri Nov 9, 2012 6:45 pm

OK so in the new CBA... the Melo rule...not maintaining bird rights to offer Max deal if traded in the middle of the last contract year.What can a team offer the player at the end of the season? Does the player simply become a UFA? Does a team under the cap only have the cap to sign the player? Does a team over the cap only have the MLE and BAE? Are there no type of "bird rights" that they can offer the player a contract that of what other teams can offer...obviously not a Max deal ? I know this may be elementary but just never paid much attention after the key components of the CBA. THANKS
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Re: Resigning Expiring Contracts after Trade 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:28 am

Skip2MY wrote:OK so in the new CBA... the Melo rule...not maintaining bird rights to offer Max deal if traded in the middle of the last contract year.What can a team offer the player at the end of the season? Does the player simply become a UFA? Does a team under the cap only have the cap to sign the player? Does a team over the cap only have the MLE and BAE? Are there no type of "bird rights" that they can offer the player a contract that of what other teams can offer...obviously not a Max deal ? I know this may be elementary but just never paid much attention after the key components of the CBA. THANKS

Everything you're asking, and more besides, is explained Q&A style at http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Re: Resigning Expiring Contracts after Trade 

Post#3 » by chakdaddy » Sat Feb 9, 2013 10:02 pm

Never heard about that - or does this refer to the limitation of "extend and trade"s to 3 years instead of 4??

Return to CBA & Business