5th Year 30% Max Criteria

Garf
Sophomore
And1: 1

5th Year 30% Max Criteria 

Post#1 » by Garf » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Silly question, but want to double-check:
Does it apply not only to Rookie Scale Extensions, but also RFA's?
(Q17 combined with the big table in Q25 would suggest so.)

Bonus question: such a RFA can also be offered 30% max on offer sheets, right?
So finally, since Q53 opens with:

Maximum years and raises depend on the type of contract, however the "standard" length is four seasons and the "standard" raise is 4.5% -- for example, when a team signs another team's free agent using cap room.

I'd assume in a parallel world where Blake Griffin was RFA, the most attractive offer sheet would look sth like this: 30%, 30% +4.5%, 30% +9%, 30% +13.5% PO. Correct?

Also, do I assume correctly that the salary cap, the 30% value etc. will be announced on the day the Moratorium ends?
Join my CBA-simulating fantasy game here
answerthink
Junior
And1: 10

Re: 5th Year 30% Max Criteria 

Post#2 » by answerthink » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:45 pm

A rookie scale player who has four years of service at the end of his rookie scale contract, or a second-round pick or undrafted player who has four years of service at the end of the last season covered by his player contract, who meets any one of the “5th Year 30% Max Criteria” and re-signs with his current team (either a rookie scale extension or as a free agent) may receive a starting salary of up to 30% of the adjusted salary cap.

It is not applicable to offer sheets, nor is it applicable in sign-and-trade scenarios.

The salary cap, adjusted salary cap, and the tax threshold, among other things, are all provided to teams when Moratorium ends.
Garf
Sophomore

Post#3 » by Garf » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks for your reply! Although Q89 seems to support your interpretation (of 30% only applying "internally"), could you tell me how you know this? A link maybe? Cheers!
answerthink
Junior

Post#4 » by answerthink » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:15 pm

How about a quote instead?

Art II, Sec 7(a)(i): “… (A) a First Round Pick who has four (4) Years of Service at the end of his Rookie Scale Contract, or (B) a second round pick or undrafted player who has four (4) Years of Service as of the June 30 following the end of the last Season covered by his Player Contract (“5th Year Eligible Players”) shall be eligible to receive from his Prior Team up to thirty percent (30%) of the Salary Cap in effect at the time the Contract is executed (the “5th Year 30% Max Salary”) if the player has met at least one of the following criteria during his first four Seasons: (i) the player is named twice to the All-NBA first, second, or third team; (ii) the player is voted in twice as an All-Star starter; or (iii) the player is designated once as NBA MVP (the “5th Year 30% Max Criteria”)…”
Garf
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Garf » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:04 pm

If I wanted to complain, I'd say this is non-conclusive. (Because we all knew the current team can offer 30%, and I asked whether another team could.)

But I can imagine that's the only mention in the CBA, and "eligible to receive from his Prior Team" must suffice to implicitly deny the other 29.

Thanks again!
answerthink
Junior

Post#6 » by answerthink » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:25 pm

The CBA typically only lists what you can do, not what you can’t.

I can give you more definitive proof about sign-and-trade scenarios though: “...A Veteran Free Agent and his Prior Team may enter into a Player Contract pursuant to an agreement between the Prior Team and another Team concerning the signing and subsequent trade of such Contract, but only if …with respect to any 5th Year Eligible Player (as defined in Article II, Section 7) who met one of the 5th Year 30% Max Criteria (as defined in Article II, Section 7), the Contract may not provide the player with Salary (plus Unlikely Bonuses) in excess of twenty-five percent (25%) of the Salary Cap (as calculated pursuant to Article II, Section 7) in effect at the time the Contract is signed...”
Garf
Sophomore

Post#7 » by Garf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:54 am

Bonus question: is the 30% max subject to a possible sign-and-trade?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#8 » by DBoys » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:02 am

Garf wrote:Bonus question: is the 30% max subject to a possible sign-and-trade?

Didn't he just EXPLICITLY answer that very question in the post you were replying to, with the CBA citation actually posted? (Yes, he did.)
Garf
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Garf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 am

Holy crap, I'm such a moron. Didn't read through the old posts. Sorry :banghead:

Return to CBA & Business