RFA vs. S&T

Garf
Sophomore
And1: 1

RFA vs. S&T 

Post#1 » by Garf » Mon Jul 1, 2013 4:38 pm

I got a bit lost again. Lil' help?

Q89 says "the player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team". Q43 doesn't seem to add anything more.

However, Wikipedia (as unreliable of a source as it might be) starts off with "a sign-and-trade agreement is a type of contract allowed in the CBA wherein one team signs an unrestricted free agent to a contract and trades him to another team of the player's choosing".

Thus, my two-fold question:

1. After the QO is submitted, is it allowed to work out a S&T with your RFA instead of him signing an offer sheet?
(As an extension of Q43's "He can negotiate a new contract with his prior team that is independent of the qualifying offer")

2. If so, does it happen in practice? Does Team A come to Player X being Team B's RFA and say "hey kid, don't sign that offer sheet with Team C, we're all capped out but we can figure out a way of bringing you to our great team in our big market via S&T"?
Join my CBA-simulating fantasy game here
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: RFA vs. S&T 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Tue Jul 2, 2013 4:16 am

1 Yes, player and team can work a S&T to another team, if he has not signed an offer sheet anywhere.
2 Yes. Probably a few times every offseason.
Garf
Sophomore
And1: 1

Re: RFA vs. S&T 

Post#3 » by Garf » Tue Jul 2, 2013 9:43 am

Thank you! And sorry for not researching it better in advance. Just realized NOH did just that last summer, twice:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20 ... ansactions
Join my CBA-simulating fantasy game here

Return to CBA & Business