Can the Knicks use the Stretch provision on Amare

Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Can the Knicks use the Stretch provision on Amare 

Post#1 » by Dantares » Tue Jul 9, 2013 5:11 pm

under these circumstances. I know that u cannot stretch contracts that were signed prior to the new CBA but what if.....

Amare opts out in the summer of 2014 and the Knicks offer him a 1 year deal at the same salary he was due to make in 2015. The Knicks then use the stretch provision on Amare over 3 years. is it possible? and would the Knicks free cap-space by doing so?
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

ep1987
Freshman
And1: 5

Re: Can the Knicks use the Stretch provision on Amare 

Post#2 » by ep1987 » Tue Jul 9, 2013 11:09 pm

Obvious circumvention of the cba; league office would disallow.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#3 » by DBoys » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:16 am

EDITED: Erasing my earlier comments - was thinking that the idea was to waive him and re-sign, rather than an ETO. Obviously, as giberish noted below, with an ETO rather than waiver, he would have Bird rights. So I've removed my erroneous notes to avoid confusion.

In any event, it still an absurdity anyhow. He's not going to consider opting out. (But if he did, NY could certainly sign him if they wanted to. SA did that with Richard Jefferson a few years ago.)
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,835

Post#4 » by giberish » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:05 am

The Knicks obviously could resign Amare if he opted out - they'd have full Bird rights. It would be highly suspicious though and could get slapped down by the league office.

Even if it went through, the Knicks would be reducing their cap/tax hit in 2014-5, but adding ~$7M/yr in dead money on the cap/tax for the next two years - when they'd otherwise have a clean salary structure.

Return to CBA & Business