JR Smith already paid 1.5 years of salary?

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

JR Smith already paid 1.5 years of salary? 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:50 pm

IN J.R.’S POCKET: A league source confirmed that J.R. Smith has already been paid $8.974 million of the $17 million contract he signed three weeks ago. Smith agreed to a two-year deal worth $11 million with a player option for a third season. Five days after agreeing to a new contract, Smith had knee surgery that, according to the club, will sideline him up to four months.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... z2aFWHvfqS

Can that reporting be reconciling this with:

Advances: No salary can be paid before July 1 of the season in which it is earned, but players can be advanced some their salary before the first league payday on November 15. Except in the case of a minimum-salary player, the salary advance is limited to either 80% of the player's guaranteed salary, or 50% of his base salary, whichever is less. In addition, no more than 25% of the player's base salary can be paid prior to October 1. For minimum-salary players the salary advance is limited to either 80% of the player's guaranteed salary, or 7.5% of his base salary, whichever is less, and the advance is deducted from the player's November 15 paycheck (and December 1, if necessary).

Loans: Players may be given loans which must be repaid out of their salary. The amount of a loan can't exceed the player's remaining amount of guaranteed salary for that season, although the loan can be repaid over the number of remaining seasons that are fully guaranteed (and don't follow options or ETOs). For example, a player with three fully-guaranteed years remaining on his contract at $10 million per season can be loaned $10 million, and repay the loan over three years. Loans may not be given to minimum-salary players. If the player is not charged interest, or the interest rate is below the market rate2, the difference is considered to be salary and is included in team salary. Any loan forgiveness is considered to be a contract renegotiation. Loans are not permitted in rookie scale contracts for first round draft picks.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q110
answerthink
Junior
And1: 10

Re: JR Smith already paid 1.5 years of salary? 

Post#2 » by answerthink » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:09 pm

The amount that Smith is being frontloaded is an advance, and is subject to those rules.

While I do not have the specifics of his contract (and others can feel free to provide it), it is very likely that he is receiving the maximum 50% of his base salary as an advance prior to each season. He would therefore be receiving $8.974 million in advance payments over time.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,472

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:32 pm

answerthink wrote:The amount that Smith is being frontloaded is an advance, and is subject to those rules.

While I do not have the specifics of his contract (and others can feel free to provide it), it is very likely that he is receiving the maximum 50% of his base salary as an advance prior to each season. He would therefore be receiving $8.974 million in advance payments over time.

But the NYPost says he has already been paid 50% of the total contract. Also, I highlighted in bold above:

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Advances: In addition, no more than 25% of the player's base salary can be paid prior to October 1.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q110

So, is there a way possible for him to have received 50% of a 3 year contract, including his option year, before August 1st of the first year?
answerthink
Junior
And1: 10

Post#4 » by answerthink » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Nope. But you don’t have to take my word for it if you are not comfortable doing so. I don't have access to his contract details. Perhaps others will respond.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#5 » by Three34 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:42 pm

It's the former of those. Smith is to have 50% of his contract in each season paid as an advance, i..e before November 15th. This has been misreported as an upfront payment of half his deal, which as you say is not the case.

Return to CBA & Business