Non-Simultaneous Trades

Brigante
Ballboy
And1: 0

Non-Simultaneous Trades 

Post#1 » by Brigante » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:59 pm

It would be a trade between the Celtics and Wizards, both are currently over the cap.

I don't think the Celtics would do this anyway because Sully looked really fantastic in his shortened season but.......

My friend says the trade would not go because the salaries don't come within 100,000 (non-simultaneous). I say it would work, the Celtics have a $1,198,680 trade exception and the Celtics have the huge Pierce teade exception of $10,275,136. Every time I believe I know how the salary cap works, I get stuck on one or two details and then I'm not 100% sure. I still say this would go money wise, but if anyone knows for sure I'd appreciate any details of why this trade would go through money wise.

Wizards Get:
Jared Sullinger $1,365,720

Celtics Get:
Kevin Seraphin $2,761,114
2014 2nd Rd Pick
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Sully for Seraphin 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:10 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradecheck ... de/6331056
It does, trade machine (check the link in the top right of the site's page) will give the explanation when you try it.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Brigante
Ballboy

Re: Sully for Seraphin 

Post#3 » by Brigante » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:02 am

bondom34 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6331056
It does, trade machine (check the link in the top right of the site's page) will give the explanation when you try it.

My friend explaned it like this. When you add the draft pick then the trade becomes a Non-Simultaneous trade and then the money needs to be within $100,000. The Celtics only have a $1,198,680 trade exception. So if you add the trade exception to Sully's $1,365,720 salary you get $2,564,400. Then you add the 100,000 allowed for the Non-Simultaneous and you get $2,664,400. Seraphin's salary is just a tad more than that at $2,761,114. I have come over to the side of my friend and now I think he's right and this trade doesn't work.???

The trade checker machine doesn't show the draft pick which would change everything, right? The reason the draft pick was put in the talking was because I doubted the Celtics would trade Sully straight up for Seraphin so I added the pick. I am hopin DBoys or someone way more knowledgeable than I am will tell me what's up here. :)
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Non-Simultaneous Trades 

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:40 am

Honestly, never heard of that rule as I dont think its necessarily non simultaneous. Only rights to the pick are traded and should count as 0 for salary matching (CBA FAQ question 86). I'd postb the question on the trade board, somone should know there, but from theFAQ I dont think its non simultaneous, but i could be wrong too!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Brigante
Ballboy

Post#5 » by Brigante » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:47 am

bondom34 wrote:Honestly, never heard of that rule as I dont think its necessarily non simultaneous. Only rights to the pick are traded and should count as 0 for salary matching (CBA FAQ question 86). I'd postb the question on the trade board, somone should know there, but from theFAQ I dont think its non simultaneous, but i could be wrong too!

Oh wow, I never even noticed the trade board! I keep getting caught up on the draft picks....I thought the pick was 0 but then my friend said yes but the pick made it non-simultaneous. I'm sure you're right though, Thanks.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#6 » by DBoys » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:36 am

The pick counts for 0. ("the pick made it non-simultaneous" <<< that is cap nonsense; the inclusion of a pick in a trade does nothing to the trade; the pick is in essence ignored for matching purposes)

The NS TE must be used alone, or it can't be used at all. Its matching value can't be increased in any way - it can take back a player making up to that amount plus 100K, and not a penny more.

Assuming your facts stated are correct on salaries and TEs existing - -

The trade would be allowable. it would be allowed for the C's by using part of the Pierce NS TE to add Seraphin's salary to their capped salary. It would be allowable for the Wiz to add Sully by using the S TE created within the trade (by the outgoing salary of Seraphin).
ep1987
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#7 » by ep1987 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:03 pm

1. You can't add a TE to a salary for matching purposes.

2. Would use part of large exception to take Seraphin.

3. New small TE created for Sullinger.
Brigante
Ballboy

Post#8 » by Brigante » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:41 am

Everyone here is awesome. Thank you kindly for clearing it up for me.
ep1987
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#9 » by ep1987 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Brigante wrote:Everyone here is awesome. Thank you kindly for clearing it up for me.

No problem; here is the best place to learn http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Just click anywhere on top of page and then use ctrl+f to search for a term (such as exception, simultaneous).

Return to CBA & Business