Maximum pick protection

Garf
Sophomore
And1: 1

Maximum pick protection 

Post#1 » by Garf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:11 am

Is it legal to trade a top 59 protected pick?

I've heard somewhere that a pick has to be top 55 protected. Otherwise the league office considers it a circumvention of the CBA rule that players cannot be given away. Can't find any basis though.
Join my CBA-simulating fantasy game here
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Maximum pick protection 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:02 pm

The explanation you've offered - that the current protection limit is "top 55 protected" and why that is so - sounds very feasible.

But if I'm not mistaken, rules on trading draft picks are in the constitution, by-laws and league memos. Those are not published, and there are volumes covering all kinds of cooperative rules between teams that aren't part of the CBA. The teams are very protective of these rules and don't let anyone see those docs. So if you're looking for the precise document that specifies this rule, or the exact wording of the rule itself, and it's in those volumes, you will probably never see it.
Garf
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Garf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:08 pm

DBoys wrote:So if you're looking for the precise document that specifies this rule, or the exact wording of the rule itself, and it's in those volumes, you will probably never see it.

Join my CBA-simulating fantasy game here
ep1987
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#4 » by ep1987 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:33 pm

All i have to offer is empirical evidence. It surely can't be a coincidence that every team sends a top-55 protected pick to get around receiving something for nothing in a trade.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,530

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:26 pm

Philly traded a 2nd round first top 55 protected, and then traded the remainer top 50 protected this past offseason.

If we are going off the here is what we have seen, then based upon that it would see that a protected pick must have a minimum range of 5 picks it could be; i.e. You cannot trade a pick top 53 and above 55 protected but top 50 and above 55 is fine.

Return to CBA & Business