Why teams today can't build without tanking(Suns case study)

Durins Baynes
Banned User
And1: 187

Re: Why teams today can't build without tanking(Suns case st 

Post#121 » by Durins Baynes » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:39 pm

mysticbb wrote:
Durins Baynes wrote:By that definition the Pacers weren't a contender either. Their SRS the last 2 years has been well below 4.5

The Pacers are a somewhat interesting case, because they had such a weak bench that the team overall didn't play as good, but the top unit was playing at a contender level. Unfortunately, I have not yet the adjusted numbers for each unit, but that might be better to judge a team by the strength of their playoffs starting lineup instead.

Ridiculous. Lots of teams have weak benches, and get good SRS no problems. Just admit your own metric doesn't say Indy was a contender and move on. And they weren't. Maybe Indy can become one next year, but thus far they've just been "the team who gives the champs trouble for one series before losing".
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#122 » by mysticbb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:11 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:So, my point wasn't that it was a necessary condition even though this is what I said in my first post and then repeatedly afterwards?

In your first post you wanted to answer DBoys' request of getting a definition for the term "contender". You proclaimed, you have an easy one. May I remind you:

HartfordWhalers wrote:
DBoys wrote:A "contender" is still undefined in this thesis, although it supposedly is the promised result of tanking. No way to examine whether that's true when we don't even know what it is.

You guys can keep going around the mulberry bush with your definitions of what is tanking, and how long a string can you tie between any two events. But what constitutes a contender should be easy -- you need one of the top 7 guys in the league.

You wanted to be smart, wanted to get applauded for that, nothing else. Just that your conclusion based on inductive reasoning has a major flaw: It isn't a definition. And that was my point from the beginning. If you would have honestly answered my question about how many contenders there are per season, we could have closed that up rather quickly. But no, you responded with strawman and just shifted the goalpost, from a definition to "necessary conditions". Yeah, it may be a "necessary condition" for a title-winning team to have a top7 or top5 or top10 or top-whatever player (depending on the choosen metric), but it is still insufficient and therefore not a definition. And that is what I'm arguing for, the whole time. And if you wouldn't have side-tracked the issue, and would have understood, that me replacing your "top players" with "good players" is just trying to point out the issue at hand with your method (and yeah, I can pick a threshold for that and will end up with less failure than having the 2012 Timberwolves (a team missing the playoffs) as a contender like your method has it), that discussion would have been over.

Matter of fact is that your method is not defining a contender, because a definition is per se sufficient! That is my whole point.

HartfordWhalers wrote:Focusing on the components of what is needed to win a title in that sort of manner seems far more productive than arguing how much of a SRS a team needs to be a contender, because that just begs the question of then what sort of components are needed for a large SRS.

No, you are trying to find something via inductive reasoning, and that is bound to fail. That is the whole issue of your approach. Only because something like that may be found in the title-winning teams you observed for that, doesn't mean that it is necessary to have such things in order to win, nevertheless in order to be a contender. The same is true for the opposite, a not contender may also have those ingredients you looked for.
And only because the title-winning teams had each a top10 player in my metric as well, doesn't change that at all. The issue is still there. Having a top10 player in my metric does not give me per se a contender. Sure, it may be helpful to have such player on the roster, but at the end of the day a player alone is not winning a championship, but teams do. It is important to know how good the team overall does, and yes, using a player metric like my merged SPM+RAPM as well as the minute distribution of the team during the playoffs gives me a better predictor than the SRS (or even the SRS in games with the 5 best players playing).

The minor issue of picking the MVP voting as your metric of choice to declare a player being in your top7 or not, is really just that, minor.

And someone, who responds to two questions with a strawman while using the word "dumb" to describe his feeling about those questions, shouldn't complain about "personal attacks" at all. ;)
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#123 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:07 pm

mysticbb wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:So, my point wasn't that it was a necessary condition even though this is what I said in my first post and then repeatedly afterwards?

In your first post you wanted to answer DBoys' request of getting a definition for the term "contender". You proclaimed, you have an easy one. May I remind you:

HartfordWhalers wrote:
DBoys wrote:A "contender" is still undefined in this thesis, although it supposedly is the promised result of tanking. No way to examine whether that's true when we don't even know what it is.

You guys can keep going around the mulberry bush with your definitions of what is tanking, and how long a string can you tie between any two events. But what constitutes a contender should be easy -- you need one of the top 7 guys in the league.

You wanted to be smart, wanted to get applauded for that, nothing else. Just that your conclusion based on inductive reasoning has a major flaw: It isn't a definition. And that was my point from the beginning. If you would have honestly answered my question about how many contenders there are per season, we could have closed that up rather quickly. But no, you responded with strawman and just shifted the goalpost, from a definition to "necessary conditions". Yeah, it may be a "necessary condition" for a title-winning team to have a top7 or top5 or top10 or top-whatever player (depending on the choosen metric), but it is still insufficient and therefore not a definition. And that is what I'm arguing for, the whole time. And if you wouldn't have side-tracked the issue, and would have understood, that me replacing your "top players" with "good players" is just trying to point out the issue at hand with your method (and yeah, I can pick a threshold for that and will end up with less failure than having the 2012 Timberwolves (a team missing the playoffs) as a contender like your method has it), that discussion would have been over.

Matter of fact is that your method is not defining a contender, because a definition is per se sufficient! That is my whole point.

HartfordWhalers wrote:Focusing on the components of what is needed to win a title in that sort of manner seems far more productive than arguing how much of a SRS a team needs to be a contender, because that just begs the question of then what sort of components are needed for a large SRS.

No, you are trying to find something via inductive reasoning, and that is bound to fail. That is the whole issue of your approach. Only because something like that may be found in the title-winning teams you observed for that, doesn't mean that it is necessary to have such things in order to win, nevertheless in order to be a contender. The same is true for the opposite, a not contender may also have those ingredients you looked for.
And only because the title-winning teams had each a top10 player in my metric as well, doesn't change that at all. The issue is still there. Having a top10 player in my metric does not give me per se a contender. Sure, it may be helpful to have such player on the roster, but at the end of the day a player alone is not winning a championship, but teams do. It is important to know how good the team overall does, and yes, using a player metric like my merged SPM+RAPM as well as the minute distribution of the team during the playoffs gives me a better predictor than the SRS (or even the SRS in games with the 5 best players playing).

The minor issue of picking the MVP voting as your metric of choice to declare a player being in your top7 or not, is really just that, minor.

And someone, who responds to two questions with a strawman while using the word "dumb" to describe his feeling about those questions, shouldn't complain about "personal attacks" at all. ;)

So, you agree that history has shown a championship team always has a top 7 (or here 10) player, even when cherry picking to your favorite metric? Excellent that wasn't so hard for you, just took a mere handful of pages.

I won't worry about you figuring out that when I laid out something as a necessary condition saying it was necessary in my first post that I meant it was a necessary condition as I stated repeatedly. I don't have another 12 pages to help with your learning curve, and again you are arguing with yourself.
mysticbb
Banned User

Post#124 » by mysticbb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:So, you agree that history has shown a championship team always has a top 7 (or here 10) player, even when cherry picking to your favorite metric?

Where did I dispute that even once. ;)

HartfordWhalers wrote:I won't worry about you figuring out that when I laid out something as a necessary condition saying it was necessary in my first post that I meant it was a necessary condition as I stated repeatedly. I don't have another 12 pages to help with your learning curve, and again you are arguing with yourself.

You still fail at logic 101, seems like you don't have any kind of learning curve at all. Only because you found something which all title-winning teams seem to had in common, doesn't mean that you found a "necessary condition", let alone that you found a definition for the term contender, which was the thing DBoys asked for. You are deriving your conclusion by inductive reasoning, and that is bound to fail. To see that this is true: The Washington Bullets had no player receiving any kind of MVP votes and still won the title in 1978.
Yeah, I know, you aren't concerned about sufficiency and logic at all, you made it quite clear.

Also, you still haven't answered the question I asked in my FIRST response: How many contenders are there in a season? ;)
HartfordWhalers

Post#125 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:09 pm

So going back 35 years to find a team with a guy that was 1st team all nba the year before and the year after the championship is the argument to try and disprove that a top player is necessary? I'm not very convinced by that, it looks like they did indeed have a top player.

My argument was a simple one, a top player is needed to be a contender. If you want to try and disprove that, feel free to list all your 'contenders' and how many didn't have top 5/7/10 players by your metric. If there are none the case would seem well supported. If there are some, then we can discuss if your metric is capturing teams without the top line talent that all the championship teams seem to have and thus not contenders, or if it is indeed possible to be a contender without a top player. After all, SRS without correction for those star players finds someone like Denver from last year as a contender.
mysticbb
Banned User

Post#126 » by mysticbb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:My argument was a simple one, a top player is needed to be a contender.

Which is, as I tried to explain now multiple times, just a matter of how you define "top player". But the same goes for "good players". Really, is that so hard to understand?

HartfordWhalers wrote:If you want to try and disprove that, feel free to list all your 'contenders' and how many didn't have top 5/7/10 players by your metric.

Try to disprove that a contender does not need to have multiple good players!

Do you really not see the flaw of your reasoning? Really, just try to answer my question about the amount of contenders per season and the whole thing will blow up in your face. And that is the very reason why you haven't answered the question, and likely also the reason why you tried to discredit my questions with a strawman.

HartfordWhalers wrote:After all, SRS without correction for those star players finds someone like Denver from last year as a contender.

With Gallinari playing? Sure, they were. They were 3-1 against the Thunder, 2-2 against the Spurs, 3-1 against the Grizzlies, 3-1 against the Warriors. No idea, but they shown to be able to beat the better teams in the West consistently. Just that they didn't have Gallinari in the playoffs, and thus being worse than they were with him. Or in another way: Weren't the Thunder with Westbrook contenders either?
HartfordWhalers

Post#127 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:43 pm

mysticbb wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:My argument was a simple one, a top player is needed to be a contender.

Which is, as I tried to explain now multiple times, just a matter of how you define "top player". But the same goes for "good players". Really, is that so hard to understand?

HartfordWhalers wrote:If you want to try and disprove that, feel free to list all your 'contenders' and how many didn't have top 5/7/10 players by your metric.

Try to disprove that a contender does not need to have multiple good players!

Do you really not see the flaw of your reasoning? Really, just try to answer my question about the amount of contenders per season and the whole thing will blow up in your face. And that is the very reason why you haven't answered the question, and likely also the reason why you tried to discredit my questions with a strawman.

HartfordWhalers wrote:After all, SRS without correction for those star players finds someone like Denver from last year as a contender.

With Gallinari playing? Sure, they were. They were 3-1 against the Thunder, 2-2 against the Spurs, 3-1 against the Grizzlies, 3-1 against the Warriors. No idea, but they shown to be able to beat the better teams in the West consistently. Just that they didn't have Gallinari in the playoffs, and thus being worse than they were with him. Or in another way: Weren't the Thunder with Westbrook contenders either?

Linemakers put Denver at a 40-1 last summer, and 50-1 at the end of the preseason to win it all last year. Those are incredibly low odds for someone you are convinced was a contender.
mysticbb
Banned User

Post#128 » by mysticbb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:53 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Linemakers put Denver at a 40-1 last summer, and 50-1 at the end of the preseason to win it all last year. Those are incredibly low odds for someone you are convinced was a contender.

I have beaten Vegas (your linemakers) in 60% of the games last season and 58% in 2012. So much for that.

Also, since when decide the line in the summer before a season started how good a team would be? I thought that actually depends on how good the teams play ...

Btw: Do you mind checking the odds for the Lakers to win the 2013 title?
HartfordWhalers

Post#129 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:01 pm

mysticbb wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Linemakers put Denver at a 40-1 last summer, and 50-1 at the end of the preseason to win it all last year. Those are incredibly low odds for someone you are convinced was a contender.

I have beaten Vegas (your linemakers) in 60% of the games last season and 58% in 2012. So much for that.

Also, since when decide the line in the summer before a season started how good a team would be? I thought that actually depends on how good the teams play ...

Btw: Do you mind checking the odds for the Lakers to win the 2013 title?

Denver was 35-1 mid season as well. Let me guess, nothing will dissuade you from them being a true contender because your system says they were?
mysticbb
Banned User

Post#130 » by mysticbb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:24 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Denver was 35-1 mid season as well.

Which means, the whole basis of your arguments are odds before the season and at some point within the season? Do you actually care how good teams play at all? And then again: How many contenders are there per season?

HartfordWhalers wrote:Let me guess, nothing will dissuade you from them being a true contender because your system says they were?

Lol, now we invite "true" as another qualifier. What does "true contender" mean? And how many of those are there per season?
HartfordWhalers

Post#131 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:28 pm

mysticbb wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Denver was 35-1 mid season as well.

Which means, the whole basis of your arguments are odds before the season and at some point within the season? Do you actually care how good a teams play at all? And then again: How many contenders are there per season?

HartfordWhalers wrote:Let me guess, nothing will dissuade you from them being a true contender because your system says they were?

Lol, now we invite "true" as another qualifier. What does "true contender" mean? And how many of those are there per season?

I pointed out the odds to show that your 'contender' doesn't look like one to more than just me. If your system is showing Denver is a contender, I think it is showing its weakness clearly there.
mysticbb
Banned User

Post#132 » by mysticbb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:37 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:I pointed out the odds to show that your 'contender' doesn't look like one to more than just me. If your system is showing Denver is a contender, I think it is showing its weakness clearly there.

Well, given the fact that "my system" beat the line in 60% of the cases last season (786 games out of all 1315), I'm pretty confident about "my system". ;)

Also, you are really stretching it with your logical fallacies right now. ;)

Btw, the Nuggets finished the season as 5th in Vegas odds, only behind the Heat, Thunder, Spurs and Knicks (yeah, the Knicks were actually seen as having a better chance to win the title by the linemakers than the Pacers or the Grizzlies, just showing the reliability of such odds). Which then brings us back to the question: How many contenders are there per season?
HartfordWhalers

Post#133 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:10 pm

mysticbb wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:I pointed out the odds to show that your 'contender' doesn't look like one to more than just me. If your system is showing Denver is a contender, I think it is showing its weakness clearly there.

Well, given the fact that "my system" beat the line in 60% of the cases last season (786 games out of all 1315), I'm pretty confident about "my system". ;)

Also, you are really stretching it with your logical fallacies right now. ;)

Btw, the Nuggets finished the season as 5th in Vegas odds, only behind the Heat, Thunder, Spurs and Knicks (yeah, the Knicks were actually seen as having a better chance to win the title by the linemakers than the Pacers or the Grizzlies, just showing the reliability of such odds). Which then brings us back to the question: How many contenders are there per season?

Why not list the actual odds? Did Vegas give even a 10% chance of the Nuggets winning it all? A 5% chance? Less...
mysticbb
Banned User

Post#134 » by mysticbb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:16 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Why not list the actual odds? Did Vegas give even a 10% chance of the Nuggets winning it all? A 5% chance? Less...

About 4%, the same as the 2011 Mavericks had. The difference, the Nuggets were 5th, the Mavericks ranked 8th. So, if the odds of 4% are leading to the title in 2011, can you imagine odds of 4% in 2013 could do the same?
HartfordWhalers

Post#135 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:33 pm

mysticbb wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Why not list the actual odds? Did Vegas give even a 10% chance of the Nuggets winning it all? A 5% chance? Less...

About 4%, the same as the 2011 Mavericks had. The difference, the Nuggets were 5th, the Mavericks ranked 8th. So, if the odds of 4% are leading to the title in 2011, can you imagine odds of 4% in 2013 could do the same?

Weren't two other teams also tied at the same odds as the 5th Nuggets?

Either way, the big difference between Denver '13 and Dallas '11 was Dallas had a top tier player, something that no team has succeeded without. :)

Describing Denver as a contender based upon a SRS criteria which is itself in question is just circling back onto itself the question.
mysticbb
Banned User

Post#136 » by mysticbb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:03 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Describing Denver as a contender based upon a SRS criteria which is itself in question is just circling back onto itself the question.

Which would leave us with the question: What is worse? Considering the 2013 Nuggets as a contender (according to my system) or the 2012 Timberwolves (your top7 player criteria)? ;)
HartfordWhalers

Post#137 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:12 pm

mysticbb wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Describing Denver as a contender based upon a SRS criteria which is itself in question is just circling back onto itself the question.

Which would leave us with the question: What is worse? Considering the 2013 Nuggets as a contender (according to my system) or the 2012 Timberwolves (your top7 player criteria)? ;)

Oh goodie, he is back to not understanding sufficient versus necessary. When you cannot win a point, might as well retreat...
mysticbb
Banned User

Post#138 » by mysticbb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:24 pm

:lol:

Can you count the teams with a top 7 player which didn't win a title and put that against the teams with a top 7 player who won the title? Well, when we are happy that a criteria leeds to more exceptions than actually fitting cases, we might as well throw logic away and go with the conclusion based on inductive reasoning ...

Return to CBA & Business