Signing a max contract after 2 years?

DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Signing a max contract after 2 years? 

Post#1 » by DaddyCool19 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:32 am

I have a question. Is it possible, that someone(lets say undrafted or 2nd round pic) from europe comes to the nba and signs a 2 year mini mle deal or a bianual exception deal. Can he sign a large contract like 36 mio for 3 years after those 2 years? If his team has his early bird, could they match that contract?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Signing a max contract after 2 years? 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:48 am

Kaioken wrote:I have a question. Is it possible, that someone(lets say undrafted or 2nd round pic) from europe comes to the nba and signs a 2 year mini mle deal or a bianual exception deal. Can he sign a large contract like 36 mio for 3 years after those 2 years? If his team has his early bird, could they match that contract?

In theory, if they had the cap room, his prior team could give him a 4 yr max deal if they wanted to. In reality, it won't happen because of the control they have. They have RFA control (matching rights) on any offer from an outside team, and the most an outside team could offer would be limited by the Arenas rule (the same sort of deal that Lin and Asik got).

The Arenas rule, if you're not familiar, limits the annual dollars in the deal to: MLE or EB, MLE (or EB) plus raise, max, max. There are also cap peculiarities. See Coon FAQ if you want more precise details. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44
MarkDeeks
Junior
And1: 553

Post#3 » by MarkDeeks » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Biggest contract I've ever known someone sign after two years was Carlos Boozer's six year, $68 million one with Utah. Any advance?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#4 » by DBoys » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:14 pm

MarkDeeks wrote:Biggest contract I've ever known someone sign after two years was Carlos Boozer's six year, $68 million one with Utah. Any advance?

Arenas also signed a massive deal after year 2 (6 yrs $64M) in 2003, the year prior to Boozer's deal. Boozer's was in 2004, and Okur also signed a big deal after two years (6 yrs, $50M) as did Ginobili (6 yrs, $52M). Perhaps there were other biggies.

But all of those occurred under much different rules, notably the Arenas rule. With its implementation in 2005, the landscape changed considerably on what a player can even be offered after 2 years; assuming his team goes through the formality of making him a restricted free agent, the most he can be offered or yr 3 is the MLE amount, and for yr 4 the limit is MLE+raise.
MarkDeeks
Junior
And1: 553

Post#5 » by MarkDeeks » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

"No" would have done.

Return to CBA & Business