Who can clear max space and how?

mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Who can clear max space and how? 

Post#1 » by mopper8 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Just curious, with all Miami's stars free agents and Melo out there as well.

My understanding is that LA can do it, but they'd basically have to renounce everyone and sign Gasol to very steep discount, or just renounce him as well. But I'm not sure on the details, how much do they need to strip down?

It also seems like Cleveland can do it by waiving Bynum and some other non-guaranteed deals and still have Kyrie and all their young guys.

Mavs have max space but also Dirk not on the books, seems like they'd have to re-sign him to a steep steep discount and let Marion walk.

Anyone else I'm missing? Obviously big trades can always change this landscape but as it looks right now, is this it?
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Re: Who can clear max space and how? 

Post#2 » by Dunkenstein » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:54 am

The Sixers and the Jazz will also have enough room to sign a top free agent next summer.
ERGOPHOBIAC
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by ERGOPHOBIAC » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Utah will have only $16m on the books, Phoenix should be around $36m. Several teams will have a lot of cap space to work with.

My most interesting:

Indy has stated they can not go into the luxury, if they were to move West they could have around $17m before that and there may be 1 or 2 of players they might be willing to go into the luxury to have on their team.

Memphis will have about $20m to play with before the luxury and that keeps most of their starters. Wizards with about $20m.

Detroit will have about $30m before the luxury and a very solid young front court to build around.

Hawks with a front court ~$23m to spend and $8m more if they move Teague.

Portland has $14m to spend and are looking very good as they are. A Sefolosha (who will be an UFA) could put them over the top.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#4 » by HotrodBeaubois » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:55 am

ERGOPHOBIAC wrote:Utah will have only $16m on the books, Phoenix should be around $36m. Several teams will have a lot of cap space to work with.

My most interesting:

Indy has stated they can not go into the luxury, if they were to move West they could have around $17m before that and there may be 1 or 2 of players they might be willing to go into the luxury to have on their team.

Memphis will have about $20m to play with before the luxury and that keeps most of their starters. Wizards with about $20m.

Detroit will have about $30m before the luxury and a very solid young front court to build around.

Hawks with a front court ~$23m to spend and $8m more if they move Teague.

Portland has $14m to spend and are looking very good as they are. A Sefolosha (who will be an UFA) could put them over the top.

How does Portland have $14 Million to spend ? If Mo Williams Opts out they have $62 Million in salary
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#5 » by DBoys » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 pm

HotrodBeaubois wrote:How does Portland have $14 Million to spend ? If Mo Williams Opts out they have $62 Million in salary

Do the numbers yourself, factor in cap holds that will reduce spending, work from the cap line (rather than working from the tax line as if teams get to freely spend to that number), and you'll see the estimates in the post you cited don't reflect available cap room at all.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#6 » by HotrodBeaubois » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:24 pm

DBoys wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:How does Portland have $14 Million to spend ? If Mo Williams Opts out they have $62 Million in salary

Do the numbers yourself, factor in cap holds that will reduce spending, work from the cap line (rather than working from the tax line as if teams get to freely spend to that number), and you'll see the estimates in the post you cited don't reflect available cap room at all.

Portland doesn't have any cap space to sign Sefolosha or anyone except the full $5 Mill MLE . Now if you are talking about trades then I guess then I guess Portland could take $14 Million in salary before they hit the tax . But without any picks to trade and only willing to trade bench players I don't see them trading for a Max player .

If you read the post they act like they can spend $14 Million to get Sefolosha but when it comes down to it they can only use the MLE . If Thabo cost $8 Million then Portland would need to send OKC $8 Million in salary which OKC wouldn't do because they are not going into the tax by taking Portlands terrible bench playes so they can get Thabo .
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#7 » by Dunkenstein » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:07 pm

I think the problem is that ERGOPHOBIAC doesn't understand the difference between cap space and room under the luxury tax limit.

Return to CBA & Business