NBA Schedule Should Be Reduced To 65 Games Permanently

Disabled Sports
Junior
And1: 711

NBA Schedule Should Be Reduced To 65 Games Permanently 

Post#1 » by Disabled Sports » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:06 pm

the only reason I'm posting a youtube video is because I'm disabled & can't really type & my reasons are explained in the video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0v3wiSompc[/youtube]
Read on Twitter
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Re: NBA Schedule Should Be Reduced To 65 Games Permanently 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:35 pm

So you think all the owners, players, coaches, etc should sign up to take a 15-20% reduction in their annual income? Good luck with that idea. A total non-starter.
Disabled Sports
Junior
And1: 711

Post#3 » by Disabled Sports » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:52 am

DBoys wrote:So you think all the owners, players, coaches, etc should sign up to take a 15-20% reduction in their annual income? Good luck with that idea. A total non-starter.

they can make that percentage up in attendance because right now according to http://extramustard.si.com
The NBA, on the other hand, has only eight markets averaging at least 100 percent capacity this season: The Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks, Miami Heat, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Oklahoma City Thunder and Houston Rockets." this is because in my opinion nba games don't feel like a must see event

Read on Twitter
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#4 » by DBoys » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:28 am

Disabled Sports wrote:
DBoys wrote:So you think all the owners, players, coaches, etc should sign up to take a 15-20% reduction in their annual income? Good luck with that idea. A total non-starter.

they can make that percentage up in attendance because right now according to http://extramustard.si.com
The NBA, on the other hand, has only eight markets averaging at least 100 percent capacity this season: The Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks, Miami Heat, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Oklahoma City Thunder and Houston Rockets."

You make less games sound like a panacea, but it's not the magic answer you envision.

(A) By eliminating 20% of your games, you can't possibly match the attendance the league is doing now, even if you sold every ticket of every game of the 80% retained. The league averages about 90% sold, league-wide.
- - - In other words: when you say that they could "make that attendance up" even while playing 20% fewer games, it's impossible. At the very least, they'd be reducing attendance by 10%.
(B) Even if you reduce the number of games, you will still have some teams who are really bad for a few years, and they won't sell out. Winners draw fans, and losers struggle. Some teams are bad, and games between bad teams are not as fun to watch.
- - - In other words: the idea that fewer games will entice fans to crave bad games as well as good ones is at best a theory. At worst, you still have pretty much the same problem on a percentage basis.
(C) Look at your list. Your top sellers, already selling 100%, are teams in the biggest markets with the most expensive tickets. (LAL, BOS, and BKN are all selling 95%+, as well.) Cut their games by 20% and you cut your biggest revenue producers by 20%, guaranteed. Big mistake to cut down their chance to sell tix.
(D) Fewer games means TV revenues would go down. Fewer games = fewer telecasts = fewer ads sold.

As I see it, you don't cut off your arm to fix a hangnail. While they have some leftovers on average, it's not a huge problem, and the proposed "solution" offered isn't one that even has any chance to make things better.
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#5 » by ranger001 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:58 pm

If they reduce the games they could raise ticket prices.

My idea is that they can reduce the games and also have an FA style knockout tournament with NBDL teams allowed to enter.

Return to CBA & Business