dumb question: why not amnesty Boozer now?

cuban72000
Analyst
And1: 0

dumb question: why not amnesty Boozer now? 

Post#1 » by cuban72000 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:43 pm

I'm a little unclear about how the amnesty provision works with the salary cap but if the bulls are going to amnesty Boozer at the end of the season as is widely speculated, why not just do it now? Are they waiting because of provisions about amnesty players? The bulls won't admit they're in tank mode but with trading Luol Deng and then probably trading hinrich and dunleavy, it would sure seem like it to me. Dumping Boozer now would "help" the tank. Thoughts, comments? Please be kind.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Re: dumb question: why not amnesty Boozer now? 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:29 pm

There's a 10 day period in the offseason which is the only time a player can be amnestied (sorry, not sure of the dates for this season). No prob on the question, lots of people don't know! I'm no real expert, but in general check:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#3 » by Dunkenstein » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:48 am

Boozer can't be amnestied until the end of the July moratorium. There's a seven day window from July 10-17 when the Bulls can remove him from their cap.
ERGOPHOBIAC
Ballboy

Post#4 » by ERGOPHOBIAC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:57 am

Do not know all the rules but from a financial standpoint with out Boozer who are the fans coming to watch?

Let's remember teams are business's and fans the consumers, most fans enjoy reasons to come to the game. They have to pay Boozer anyways and it will be hard to miss the playoffs in the East so sell a few more tickets in the process.
cuban72000
Analyst

Post#5 » by cuban72000 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:17 am

The bulls are so close to the luxury tax. I just thought how much money they would "save" by amnestying him asap. with Boozer gone all of a sudden, no longer have to worry about the luxury tax.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#6 » by Dunkenstein » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:33 pm

cuban72000 wrote:The bulls are so close to the luxury tax. I just thought how much money they would "save" by amnestying him asap. with Boozer gone all of a sudden, no longer have to worry about the luxury tax.

Even if they could amnesty Boozer now, they wouldn't actually "save" the team any money if they could and did amnesty him. Even a player who is amnestied is still paid the money they he is owed. All that happens is that his salary come off his team's salary cap. And while they may be close to the luxury tax limit, they are not over it, so they are currently in no danger of being a tax payer this season.

In fact, because the Bulls only have the minimum of 13 players under contract (after giving Jarvis Varnado a 10-day contract yesterday), if they were able to amnesty Boozer, they would not only have to still pay Boozer but also pay another player in order to reach the minimum roster requirements.

And lastly, since there would be no financial value to waive Boozer, why would the Bulls waive a player who averages close to 15 points and 9 rebounds a game when they are currently the fourth highest ranked team in the Eastern standings and bound for the playoffs?

Return to CBA & Business