Idea to change how the Draft works

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Idea to change how the Draft works 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:21 pm

To any Mods, I wasn't sure where to put this, so I posted in a couple of places. Sorry for that, if I was wrong.

I am borrowing off an initial premise I have seen/heard a couple of places (including Danny Leroux and parts of the “Wheel” concept), so know the entire thing isn't solely my idea. I am simply building upon it here.

First off, each of the 30 teams has 50 "chances" (or ping pong balls or whatever you want to call it. I'm sticking with "chances" here.) in a 5 year block. Within that 5 year block, teams can use them in any draft they want, except they must keep one "chance" in each year. For example, let's say you love a prospect, or multiple prospects, you can load up and use up to 46 "chances" in one season. Or you can spread them out, however you see fit.

You pick 1 "chance" out for each pick. Once a team is called, all their other "chances" are removed from consideration. You go through this all the way through 1-30. There is no more weighting of the "chances". It is done strictly by random pick. The number of the "chances" you put in to a given draft can increase your odds, but that is soley at the discrection of the teams.

You can also trade "chances". Let's say you are close to contention now, you can trade "chances" for players in deals, much like picks are traded today. This would allow you to use more than the 46 "chances" as outlined above. For example, again, if you love a draft, you can trade for more "chances" to aid in your quest to win the highest pick.

As for the picks, themselves, here is my idea. Picks can no longer be traded in advance of the order being determined. You can only trade "chances". Once the Draft Order is determined by the process outlined above, there is a one (1) month draft period where picks can be traded prior to, and during, the actual draft itself. This will work just like it does today. The caveat being, you can only trade this year's pick. You cannot trade future picks.

At the end of the 5 year cycle, everything resets.

In order to accomplish this, I would move the Draft Lottery back to mid June. Right after the Finals ends. and then move the Draft itself back to one month after that Lottery.

I believe this puts an end to “tanking”, or at least purposefully not putting yourself in the best place to win. There is nothing to be gained by being bad anymore. It also removes pick protections, which I think most of us find annoying and hard to follow for the average fan. It would force GMs to get creative with trades, both before the draft and during the draft period as well. I like to imagine that we would have endless debate over how “GM X traded for 46 of our “chances” to try to win this year’s draft and put in all 46 of our “chances”, we better win!”. I think it makes teams consider both short and long term goals.

Just an idea, I’d love to hear feedback and thoughts.

Return to CBA & Business