Minimum salary reimbursement for aged veterans

DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Minimum salary reimbursement for aged veterans 

Post#1 » by DBoys » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:15 pm

The rules say that a team gets league welfare to even out the pay for minimum salary players, where one with more than 2 years of experience will get paid much more, but the "extra" is reimbursed by the league, with cap and tax numbers reflecting only what the team pays.

However, I have encountered several conflicting variations on how that is to be applied to players who only play part of that reimbursable season. The issue would be over a partial-season contract paid by a team, either a player who is signed after the season begins, or a player without a fully guaranteed contract who is waived partway through the season.

My question is: is the amount to be reimbursed applied on a per-day basis, or is it due to be applied only after the full 2-year-vet minimum has been paid by the team to that player? (I understand the reimbursement itself would not actually be paid until the end of the season - when it is actually paid is not what I'm asking.)

For example, let's say we're in a season where the 2-year-vet minimum is $900,000. Player X is non-guaranteed on a minimum which pays $1,200,000. Exactly 1/3 of the way through the year, he is waived, after the team has paid him $400,000, one third of the contract. At the end of the year, is that $400,000 going to be reimbursed down to $300,000 (one third of our theoretical 2-year-vet minimum) with a commensurate adjustment applying to cap and tax? Or, since they have paid him less than the 2-year-vet minimum, is the team they going to be on the hook for the whole 400K on cap and tax calculations?

And does the same accounting principle apply to minimum salary contracts signed after the season starts, and 10-day contracts after Jan 5, for the same sort of player?
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Re: Minimum salary reimbursement for aged veterans 

Post#2 » by Dunkenstein » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:15 am

My understanding is that the reimbursement is on a per days paid basis. This holds true for a player who is signed at the beginning of the season and waived during the season, as well as a player who is signed during the season. It also holds true for 10-day contracts.
DBoys
Starter

Post#3 » by DBoys » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:44 pm

Dunkenstein wrote:... the reimbursement is on a per days paid basis....

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.
answerthink
Junior
And1: 10

Post#4 » by answerthink » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:46 pm

It's the other way around, actually.
DBoys
Starter

Post#5 » by DBoys » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:01 pm

answerthink wrote:It's the other way around, actually.

LOL wait, what? Now I'm more confused than ever.

As I said when I began this, I have heard it both ways from people I otherwise trust. And now, it sounds like it's happening again. Will you guys fight it out and then let me know the answer? Thanks!
answerthink
Junior
And1: 10

Post#6 » by answerthink » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:04 pm

I only fight brick walls. I've lost twice.

Return to CBA & Business