NBA Schedule and Conferences

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

NBA Schedule and Conferences 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:12 pm

This is my idea on how to restructure the schedule:

1. Eliminate divisions. Two 15 team conferences. Divisions are no longer necessary.
2. Each team plays the 14 other teams in conference 3x each for a total of 42 games. This helps tiebreakers as each season series would have a winner.
3. Each team plays the 15 teams from the other conference 2x each for a total of 30 games. (same as now)
4. 72 total games. This reduces the number of back to backs. Also, if the NBA is serious about looking at taking off the entire week of the All Star Break, this makes that easier.
5. I would time the All Star Break so that the last game before All Star weekend is on Thursday. All Star weekend ends on Sunday. I would make the trade deadline on Tuesday after the All Star game. This would leave Wednesday and Thursday as days for teams to practice before games resume on Friday night. As it stands now, guys often miss games after a trade. This helps to mitigate that.
6. I would leave the playoffs as is. Best 8 teams in each conference make it.

If the NBA insists on not reducing games, I would add 4 games and increase the schedule to 86 games. This would be playing the other 14 teams in conference 4x each. I don't like an unbalanced schedule. To do this, I would start the season two weeks earlier in mid-October.

Thoughts?
MarkDeeks
Junior
And1: 553

Re: NBA Schedule and Conferences 

Post#2 » by MarkDeeks » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 pm

Game days are significant revenue earners. Good luck convincing the league to dispense with 150 of them.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Re: NBA Schedule and Conferences 

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Sat Mar 1, 2014 2:39 am

MarkDeeks wrote:Game days are significant revenue earners. Good luck convincing the league to dispense with 150 of them.

Yeah completely agree. That is why maybe going up to 86 games makes more sense. I know there seems to be a lot of sentiment from writers and commentators that I respect that less games will make for a better product. But yes, money always talks.

Return to CBA & Business