RFA's new contracts

spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

RFA's new contracts 

Post#1 » by spree8 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 pm

May be an incredibly stupid question but if a RFA is s&t'd to a new team, does he make the qualifying offer amount the next year with his new contract kicking in the year after or does he make that new money immediately? I've seen this with quite a few other players when they sign new extensions. Is it just a different scenario or something? Some feedback would be greatly appreciated fellas. Thanks!
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Re: RFA's new contracts 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:51 pm

I believe he would make the new amount immediately. I think the example you are looking at is an unrestricted FA being traded and then agreeing to an extension. Many times these deals are done with the knowledge/expectation that the traded player will sign the extension. An example of this was KG being traded to the Celtics. The Celtics did that deal knowing KG would sign an extension to stay in Boston.

In the terms of a RFA, he doesn't actually have a signed deal. He has a QO, which is not a binding contract. It is simply what is states, an offer. He can choose to sign for that amount and be unrestricted the following offseason Or he can sign an extension. Or, as you somewhat stated, he can sign a new contract and be immediately traded.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#3 » by DBoys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 pm

spree8 wrote:if a RFA is s&t'd to a new team, does he make the qualifying offer amount the next year with his new contract kicking in the year after or does he make that new money immediately?

The qualifying offer is a one-year deal at a specified amount without any flexibility. If accepted, the player signs it and there is no S&T possibility.

If the player wants to play on another team, and his old team and new team want to work out a S&T swap, he signs a brand new deal with the old team (minimum 3 yr deal, with at least one year fully guaranteed) that has nothing to do with the QO, and one of the contractual conditions when he signs is "and you agree to trade me to ____ immediately." So in that choice, the QO is trashed, not executed.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#4 » by spree8 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:11 am

Perfect...thanks a lot guys for the help!
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid

Return to CBA & Business