Stretch provision

sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Stretch provision 

Post#1 » by sportscrazy » Wed May 21, 2014 2:29 pm

If the Knicks were to cut J.R. Smith for example using the stretch provision this offseason, how does that work?

How much salary is the team responsible for?

Basically what is the stretch provision in as detailed of an explanation as possible?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Stretch provision 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:57 pm

sportscrazy wrote:If the Knicks were to cut J.R. Smith for example using the stretch provision this offseason, how does that work?

Basically what is the stretch provision in as detailed of an explanation as possible?

They are still responsible for all of the salary, but it is spread out over more years, and the cap hit can be spread to match. It's spread over double the number of years left on the contract plus one. Questions 64 and 65 of:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q64
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#3 » by sportscrazy » Wed May 21, 2014 3:14 pm

bondom34 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:If the Knicks were to cut J.R. Smith for example using the stretch provision this offseason, how does that work?

They are still responsible for all of the salary, but it is spread out over more years, and the cap hit can be spread to match. It's spread over double the number of years left on the contract plus one. Questions 64 and 65 of:

So in the Smith case the Knicks would pay $2.5 Million a year over the next five years if they used it this offseason?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:31 pm

sportscrazy wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

So in the Smith case the Knicks would pay $2.5 Million a year over the next five years if they used it this offseason?

If my math is right, right around that.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#5 » by DBoys » Wed May 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Based on his performance so far, maybe NY will end up using the stretch provision on P Jackson. :lol:

Return to CBA & Business