Exception Question when under the Cap

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Exception Question when under the Cap 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 12:37 am

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26

This line has me a bit confused, even though I probably shouldn't be.

"A team's exceptions may be lost entirely, or the team may never receive them to begin with. This happens when their team salary is so low that when the exceptions are added to the team salary, the sum is still below the salary cap. If this happens when the exceptions arise, then the team doesn't get their exceptions at all. If the team salary ever drops below this level during the year, then any unused portions of their exceptions are lost (and do not return if the team salary increases). "

Does that mean if you are 10 million under the cap add in a MLE for $5,305,00.00 and BAE for $2,077,000.00, that doesn't take you over the cap, so you lose both exceptions? The example that follows seems to state this, but I want to make sure I am reading it right.

If so, if you lose the exceptions and then go over the cap later, do you regain them? I am fairly certain that answer is no, but want to double check.

Thanks in advance!
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Exception Question when under the Cap 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 4:28 am

Well, not definitive, but I read it the same as you do. Sees like you lose them and can't regain them later.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#3 » by DBoys » Thu Jun 5, 2014 7:43 am

Smitty731 wrote:1 Does that mean if you are 10 million under the cap add in a MLE for $5,305,00.00 and BAE for $2,077,000.00, that doesn't take you over the cap, so you lose both exceptions? The example that follows seems to state this, but I want to make sure I am reading it right.

2 If so, if you lose the exceptions and then go over the cap later, do you regain them? I am fairly certain that answer is no, but want to double check.

Thanks in advance!

1 Yes. You will later have a room MLE to use, instead.
2 No. But you will get the room MLE.

Be aware that teams do not go under the cap, where they lose their exceptions, by accident. In fact, when free agency begins, virtually every team will be over the cap, because their cap total will include not only the contracts but also cap charges for all of their unsigned free agents until they are renounced.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#4 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 12:56 pm

DBoys wrote:1 Yes. You will later have a room MLE to use, instead.
2 No. But you will get the room MLE.

Be aware that teams do not go under the cap, where they lose their exceptions, by accident. In fact, when free agency begins, virtually every team will be over the cap, because their cap total will include not only the contracts but also cap charges for all of their unsigned free agents until they are renounced.

Thanks. I knew I was overthinking it a bit. And I am really good on the cap holds and roster charges and draft pick scale and all that. It was when the exceptions were available that threw me off.

Thanks for clearing it up!

Return to CBA & Business