Larry Coon's FAQ #44...ability to match RFA's without space?

spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Larry Coon's FAQ #44...ability to match RFA's without space? 

Post#1 » by spree8 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:43 am

"Likewise, the player's prior team cannot match an offer sheet that is greater than their room. They must have enough room -- again, either cap room or a satisfactory exception -- at the time they are given notice that the player has signed an offer sheet, and at all times until matching. They cannot make moves to create sufficient room after receiving an offer sheet". - Question #44 Larry Coon's CBA FAQ.

I read the whole RFA section, this is just the part that seems to be saying that a team can't match an offer sheet it's RFA signed elsewhere unless they have the cap space beforehand and not created after correct? I'm having a convo on a different forum and some seem to believe otherwise (as did I until reading this)...am I interpreting this correctly?

It seems as though a team can re-sign it's RFA with or without cap space using the bird rights, but when it comes to matching, they must have the space.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Re: Larry Coon's FAQ #44...ability to match RFA's without sp 

Post#2 » by Knosh » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:51 pm

spree8 wrote:"Likewise, the player's prior team cannot match an offer sheet that is greater than their room. They must have enough room -- again, either cap room or a satisfactory exception -- at the time they are given notice that the player has signed an offer sheet, and at all times until matching. They cannot make moves to create sufficient room after receiving an offer sheet". - Question #44 Larry Coon's CBA FAQ.

I read the whole RFA section, this is just the part that seems to be saying that a team can't match an offer sheet it's RFA signed elsewhere unless they have the cap space beforehand and not created after correct? I'm having a convo on a different forum and some seem to believe otherwise (as did I until reading this)...am I interpreting this correctly?

It seems as though a team can re-sign it's RFA with or without cap space using the bird rights, but when it comes to matching, they must have the space.

See the bolded part: With "room" he seems to mean cap room or an exception. That's how I read it and that's how I thought it works.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#3 » by spree8 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Knosh wrote:
spree8 wrote:"Likewise, the player's prior team cannot match an offer sheet that is greater than their room. They must have enough room -- again, either cap room or a satisfactory exception -- at the time they are given notice that the player has signed an offer sheet, and at all times until matching. They cannot make moves to create sufficient room after receiving an offer sheet". - Question #44 Larry Coon's CBA FAQ.

See the bolded part: With "room" he seems to mean cap room or an exception. That's how I read it and that's how I thought it works.

So the team with the RFA who signs an offer sheets elsewhere can only match if they have the available cap space? Having Bird rights isn't enough to be able to match the way it is when the original team re-signs them on their own?

Edit: I'm overlooking the "exception" part...I've been thinking they were referring to a trade exception and not the Bird exception...I'm an idiot lol. So basically if the team waived the cap hold then they couldn't match, but if they still have the hold they could still match. Thanks for the info bro.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
Knosh
Starter

Post#4 » by Knosh » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:19 pm

spree8 wrote:
Knosh wrote:

So the team with the RFA who signs an offer sheets elsewhere can only match if they have the available cap space? Having Bird rights isn't enough to be able to match the way it is when the original team re-signs them on their own?

Edit: I'm overlooking the "exception" part...I've been thinking they were referring to a trade exception and not the Bird exception...I'm an idiot lol. So basically if the team waived the cap hold then they couldn't match, but if they still have the hold they could still match. Thanks for the info bro.

Yeah, exception should refer to any kind of exception. So for example Bird Rights. Depending on the specific scenario, the team could also use their MLE to match an offer to their own RFA as far as I know.

And your welcome ;)
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#5 » by DBoys » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:35 pm

spree8 wrote:... a team can't match an offer sheet it's RFA signed elsewhere unless they have the cap space beforehand and not created after, correct?

The FAQ says that. However, I'm not convinced the CBA has the same time frames mentioned as the FAQ does. I think CBA requires the team to have room to match at the point in time they match, and of course to continue to use that room for that contract after matching.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#6 » by mg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:59 pm

OK I asked this question in another forum but didn't get a reply so will ask again here.

Does anyone know if a soon to be RFA's Bird rights can be dealt prior to July 1? Specifically wondering if a soon to be RFA ie. Gordon Hayward could be dealt on draft day.
Knosh
Starter

Re: AW: Larry Coon's FAQ #44...ability to match RFA's withou 

Post#7 » by Knosh » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:22 pm

mg wrote:OK I asked this question in another forum but didn't get a reply so will ask again here.

Does anyone know if a soon to be RFA's Bird rights can be dealt prior to July 1? Specifically wondering if a soon to be RFA ie. Gordon Hayward could be dealt on draft day.

No. Only way to deal him at this point is in a sign and trade and that can't happen before July
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#8 » by mg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks for the reply Knosh.
LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King
And1: 1,324

Post#9 » by LJ4pointplay » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:44 am

On Parsons and Bosh:

When a team is given an offer sheet, they must have “Room” to match at time given sheet up until actually matched. (Or, probably bird rights as well..)

Article 7, Section 4, (d):

The ROFR Team, upon receipt of the Offer Sheet, may exercise its Right of First Refusal, which shall havethe consequences hereinafter set forth below in this Section 5. In order tomatch an Offer Sheet, the ROFR Team must have Room for the player’sPlayer Contract at the time notice of the Team’s exercise of its Right of First Refusal is given and must continue to have Room at all times theFirst Refusal Exercise Notice remains in effect.

Room can either be actual salary cap space or a specific exception:

Article 1, Section 1, (fff):

“Room” means the extent to which: (i) a Team’s then-current Team Salary is less than the Salary Cap; or (ii) a Team is entitled to use oneof the Salary Cap Exceptions set forth in Article VII, Section 6(c), (d), (e),(f), (g) and (j) (Disabled Player Exception, Bi-annual Exception, Non- Taxpayer Mid-Level Salary Exception, Taxpayer Mid-Level Salary Exception, Mid-Level Salary Exception for Room Teams and TradedPlayer Exception)

In figuring out whether there is cap space the cap hold used becomes the amount signed on the offer-sheet if its greater than the alternatives:

Article VII, Section A, IV, (D) (ii):

With respect to each Veteran Free Agent who last played fora Team who is a Restricted Free Agent, the greater of (A) the Free Agent Amount (as defined in Section 4(d)below) attributable to such Veteran Free Agent, (B) theSalary called for in any outstanding Qualifying Offertendered to such Veteran Free Agent, or (C) the Salary called for in any First Refusal Exercise Notice (as defined in Article XI, Section 5(e)) issued with respect to such VeteranFree Agent.

So what does this all mean? It means that the Rockets can not sign Bosh if Parson’s once the Notice is issued. Assuming issued means it is actually served, then the Rockets can sign both if they avoid service of the offer sheet prior to officially signing Bosh because although they won’t “room” to match the offer, they will have bird rights.
Smirkin Dirk
Junior
And1: 736

Post#10 » by Smirkin Dirk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 am

I hate legal language.

Once Parsons signs the Mavs offer sheet, does Parson's cap hold on the Rockets go up to the 15m salaray the Mavs are offering?
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#11 » by tviper » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:22 am

Smirkin Dirk wrote:I hate legal language.

Once Parsons signs the Mavs offer sheet, does Parson's cap hold on the Rockets go up to the 15m salaray the Mavs are offering?

yes, that is my understanding. however, it isn't once he signs the offer sheet, but once it is served on the Rockets. therefore, Morey may be a tough guy to locate tonight and tomorrow morning.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#12 » by DBoys » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:24 am

Definitely not.
Knosh
Starter

Post#13 » by Knosh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:58 am

Had a discussion on that exact same questions over at the T&T board. Lots of people were thinking it would go up (me included), but turns out that is wrong. Both Mark Deeks and Larry Coon have clarified that Parson's cap hold for the Rockets doesn't change.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#14 » by tviper » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:03 am

Knosh wrote:

Had a discussion on that exact same questions over at the T&T board. Lots of people were thinking it would go up (me included), but turns out that is wrong. Both Mark Deeks and Larry Coon have clarified that Parson's cap hold for the Rockets doesn't change.

thanks Knosh. I trust those guys. Was scouring the CBA for a definitive answer and still can't find one. Did they happen to mention the Article/Section?
Knosh
Starter

Post#15 » by Knosh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:23 am

tviper wrote:
Knosh wrote:

thanks Knosh. I trust those guys. Was scouring the CBA for a definitive answer and still can't find one. Did they happen to mention the Article/Section?

Checkout http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1333640. It's discussed throughout with some relevant tweets, links and quotes.

Return to CBA & Business