Contract timing, bird rights, and Room exception questions

supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Contract timing, bird rights, and Room exception questions 

Post#1 » by supaflash » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:23 pm

Pardon if this is already answered somewhere, I couldn't find it. I have been seeing some reports of how teams can fit certain things depding on contract timing to fit into the CBA. I'm a little confused on how some of this works. I understand how the exceptions work, if there's space there's no reason for them so they disapear, then if you fill up the space you can use the room exception to go over the cap. I have one question about that, can the room exception be combined with the last bit of space on a larger deal? Then here is where I am confused. If you renounce a player's cap hold, do you completely lose bird rights? I thought I saw somewhere they the team can still resign with the bird rights even though they renounce the cap hold. For instance the Parsons situation, I hear that they can fill up their cap space and then resign him. Is that because he opted out? What about in the Laker's situation. Gasol's cap hit is huge and would have to be renounced in order to sign anyone. So could they sign a big name like Mello, fill the rest of the cap to the limit, then use the room exception, THEN sign Gasol back?

So:

1. Can the room exception be combined with space to make a larger deal, IE have 1 mil of space left, sign a contract for 3.7 mil? Or would they be forced to sign a player to 1 mil, then 2.7 to the other player?

2. Once a player with bird rights cap hold is renounced, can they still be resigned once a team fills up the cap space and uses the exception?
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Re: Contract timing, bird rights, and Room exception questio 

Post#2 » by giberish » Wed Jul 2, 2014 5:51 pm

1. I'm sure you can't combine the 'room' exception with cap room. I don't think that you'd have to use the last $1M in cap room first though, I think you could just use the room exception (causing the last $1M in cap space to go away).

2. If you renounce a player to free his cap hold, you can't resign the player with bird rights. You could resign them with cap room, or - if you've used it all up - the minimum salary exception if nothing else.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 11:45 pm

1. You can't combine the exception with anything else. You can split certain exceptions between players, but you can't combine it. But you can use the Room Exception whenever you want. You don't have to spend your space first.

2. If you renounce a player, you do lose his Bird rights and can only sign the player with cap space or an exception. With one minor exception. Early Bird FAs coming off the second season of their rookie scale deal are treated as Non-Bird FAs and you can exceed the cap in that case.

Clear as mud? :D
MarkDeeks
Junior
And1: 553

Post#4 » by MarkDeeks » Thu Jul 3, 2014 5:34 am

1) No
2) No

Anyone who can get it clearer than that, I'll give you a biscuit.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#5 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 7:58 pm

MarkDeeks wrote:1) No
2) No

Anyone who can get it clearer than that, I'll give you a biscuit.

That's a cookie for us Americans right? :wink:

Return to CBA & Business