Can ''mother teams'' nix a D leaguer picked up?

ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Can ''mother teams'' nix a D leaguer picked up? 

Post#1 » by ChosunX » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Theoretically could the Spurs tell the Toros not to borrow player x to NBA team Z?
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Re: Can ''mother teams'' nix a D leaguer picked up? 

Post#2 » by Dunkenstein » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:41 pm

ChosunX wrote:Theoretically could the Spurs tell the Toros not to borrow player x to NBA team Z?

I'm not sure what you mean by "borrow"? If the question you're asking is can the Spurs stop Team Z from calling up Player X who is on the Toro's roster (but not under contract to the Spurs), then the answer is no. D-League players can be called up by any NBA team regardless of the D-League team's NBA affiliation.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:01 pm

This is something I would personally love to see change. I'd like the D-League to be a true minor league where the teams own the rights of the players somehow. Maybe expand the draft by a round or two. I think it would be good for the game overall. This is how I would work with players who don't want to or can't go to college as well. Let them develop in the D-League. I'd make a rule of some sort where if you go to college, you are there for 2-3 years and can't be drafted. But if you want to take your shot at being drafted, you can come out right away. Something like that could work.

I really like what the Rockets do and use their team as their playground to experiment with. They had the Vipers shooting 3s and layups only basically as a test to see if it could be applied in reality. Stuff like that is very interesting to me.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#4 » by ChosunX » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:46 am

If there was a D league back then, could Duncan had just gone there to be picked up by SA?
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#5 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Sep 9, 2014 5:25 pm

Smitty731 wrote:This is something I would personally love to see change. I'd like the D-League to be a true minor league where the teams own the rights of the players somehow. Maybe expand the draft by a round or two. I think it would be good for the game overall. This is how I would work with players who don't want to or can't go to college as well. Let them develop in the D-League. I'd make a rule of some sort where if you go to college, you are there for 2-3 years and can't be drafted. But if you want to take your shot at being drafted, you can come out right away. Something like that could work.

I really like what the Rockets do and use their team as their playground to experiment with. They had the Vipers shooting 3s and layups only basically as a test to see if it could be applied in reality. Stuff like that is very interesting to me.

The odds of a DLeaguer ever getting a shot are low. But to limit his options to one possible team lowers them to almost nothing. Everyone would just go play in Europe for more money with better opportunities to match their skill sets to any of the NBA teams.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#6 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Feb 3, 2017 12:46 pm

I have a D-league question and didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully it will get noticed here.

There is some doubt among Jazz fans about the rules as to sending down a player, specifically Dante Exum. The way things are worded, it says players with a certain number of years experience, so I don't know if a player who misses an entire year would be able to count that as experience. There is also some doubt as to whether the rule has changed by 1 year, but that the faq hasn't been updated.

So there is some debate as to why Exum hasn't been sent down this year, and some fans are claiming it's because his agent won't allow it. Not really sure if Exum could qualify as a player that could nix it if he didn't want to go down. I'd be curious to hear some feedback from those who keep up on such things. Thanks.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#7 » by DBoys » Fri Feb 3, 2017 3:03 pm

1 The FAQ is correct. Players w 0-2 years experience may be sent unilaterally, and for the following year w consent.
2 Exum could be sent to the D-League. He has 2 years of experience. His agent has no say in the matter. The Jazz have full control, and apparently they must feel (so far) he can develop better at the NBA level in practices and w team rather than DL level.
3 Exum's year without playing counts as a year of "NBA experience" since he was under contract with an NBA team.
4 A player's "years of experience" do not count the current season. A tip for remembering this point is "How can any player in the NBA be classified in the category of having 0 years of experience?"
5 BTW, the D-League/NBA relationship will get even more complex next season under the new CBA. A major development will be the provision for two players who are partly NBA, partly DL players, calling them players on "2-Way Contracts." A completely new set of rules will apply to them, their contracts, and so on. And there are also new rules for other D-Leaguers on a team's NBA affiliate.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#8 » by Smitty731 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 5:22 pm

To tag on to DBoys answer: Dante Exum was sent down to the D-League last month. He and several others, including Alec Burks, were sent down for the day to practice with the Stars, while the Jazz had an off day.

So, in addition to everything DBoys said, we've actually seen him get sent down this year.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#9 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun Feb 5, 2017 12:10 pm

Smitty731 wrote:To tag on to DBoys answer: Dante Exum was sent down to the D-League last month. He and several others, including Alec Burks, were sent down for the day to practice with the Stars, while the Jazz had an off day.

So, in addition to everything DBoys said, we've actually seen him get sent down this year.

He didn't play a game though, while Burks did play, so that just added to the confusion over whether or not he/his agent were dictating his d-league involvement.

Anyway, thanks for the answers guys. Much appreciated.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"

Return to CBA & Business