Rookie Scale Question

TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Rookie Scale Question 

Post#1 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:32 am

Do 1st round picks always sign for 120% of the rookie scale? Why don't they just get paid what the scale says? What leverage are the rookies using to get paid more than the scale, or is it always 120% of the rookie scale?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Re: Rookie Scale Question 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:53 am

TheBallDoLie wrote:Do 1st round picks always sign for 120% of the rookie scale? Why don't they just get paid what the scale says? What leverage are the rookies using to get paid more than the scale, or is it always 120% of the rookie scale?

Do 1st round picks always sign for 120% of the rookie scale? No. They can sign for anywhere from 80% to 120%. The team must offer them at least 80% in order to retain their rights.

What leverage are the rookies using to get paid more than the scale, or is it always 120% of the rookie scale? It's customary for a player to ultimately get 120%, but occasionally (rarely) some end up with less. It's a matter of negotiation.

More info http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q49
TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Re: Rookie Scale Question 

Post#3 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 am

DBoys wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:Do 1st round picks always sign for 120% of the rookie scale? Why don't they just get paid what the scale says? What leverage are the rookies using to get paid more than the scale, or is it always 120% of the rookie scale?

Do 1st round picks always sign for 120% of the rookie scale? No. They can sign for anywhere from 80% to 120%. The team must offer them at least 80% in order to retain their rights.

What leverage are the rookies using to get paid more than the scale, or is it always 120% of the rookie scale? It's customary for a player to ultimately get 120%, but occasionally (rarely) some end up with less. It's a matter of negotiation.

More info http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q49

Thank you for responding. I'm aware of Larry Coon's great work, I couldn't find what I was looking for there and thought this would be easier. Which it was, your response was helpful.

Return to CBA & Business