Protections on 2nd round picks in trades?

KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Protections on 2nd round picks in trades? 

Post#1 » by KKell2507 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 10:12 am

Wanted to know the rules for putting protections on 2nd round picks that are acquired in trades? Can a team put a protection on a 2nd round pick that was acquired from another team?

For example, the Sixers have Orlando, Washington, and Golden States 2nd round picks for the 2015 draft. Can they put a protection like the popular "top-55 protected" on Orlando's pick in a trade? Or are they only allowed to place protections on their own 2nd round pick?
Celtics2014
Sophomore
And1: 43

Re: Protections on 2nd round picks in trades? 

Post#2 » by Celtics2014 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 11:16 pm

I think the league is looking at this issue. In the past teams could put a top 55 protection on a second that had virtually no chance of being redeemed. I think the league is looking to have teams to have protections which are more possible such as top 47 protection. I am referencing the Kris Humphries trade to the Wizards which recently occurred. The league may be changing the current rule on protections for another team.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#3 » by DBoys » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:37 am

Celtics2014 wrote:I think the league is looking at this issue. In the past teams could put a top 55 protection on a second that had virtually no chance of being redeemed. I think the league is looking to have teams to have protections which are more possible such as top 47 protection. I am referencing the Kris Humphries trade to the Wizards which recently occurred. The league may be changing the current rule on protections for another team.

1 I don't think you really spoke to his question at all.
.... As to your point, I've nowhere heard that the NBA is changing pick-protection limits (but even if so, that wasnt his question)

2 In fact, it was this summer when the NBA said what limits are allowed on a pick
..."any “protection” on such pick [may] not protect more than 55 potential draft positions in an NBA Draft"

3 OP was asking if a pick that was ALREADY traded from team A to team B could then have added restrictions attached when being traded from team B to team C.
...For example, if a 2nd rounder was protected when traded from A to B if it falls in the first 10 picks of rd 2 (making it only possible to be a 41-60 pick for team B), he's asking could team B trade that pick to team C with protection that says "if it falls 41-50, we keep it, but if it falls 51-60 you get it"

4 From the recent NBA clarification, it sounds possible, where a team would be able to further restrict a pick if they traded away at least 5 slots, but it really doesn't say so specifically.
Celtics2014
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#4 » by Celtics2014 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 11:40 pm

DBoys wrote:
Celtics2014 wrote:I think the league is looking at this issue. In the past teams could put a top 55 protection on a second that had virtually no chance of being redeemed. I think the league is looking to have teams to have protections which are more possible such as top 47 protection. I am referencing the Kris Humphries trade to the Wizards which recently occurred. The league may be changing the current rule on protections for another team.

1 I don't think you really spoke to his question at all.
.... As to your point, I've nowhere heard that the NBA is changing pick-protection limits (but even if so, that wasnt his question)

2 In fact, it was this summer when the NBA said what limits are allowed on a pick
..."any “protection” on such pick [may] not protect more than 55 potential draft positions in an NBA Draft"

3 OP was asking if a pick that was ALREADY traded from team A to team B could then have added restrictions attached when being traded from team B to team C.
...For example, if a 2nd rounder was protected when traded from A to B if it falls in the first 10 picks of rd 2 (making it only possible to be a 41-60 pick for team B), he's asking could team B trade that pick to team C with protection that says "if it falls 41-50, we keep it, but if it falls 51-60 you get it"

4 From the recent NBA clarification, it sounds possible, where a team would be able to further restrict a pick if they traded away at least 5 slots, but it really doesn't say so specifically.

lol
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Return to CBA & Business