Second Round Pick Tenders for Tax Apron Calculation

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Second Round Pick Tenders for Tax Apron Calculation 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:55 pm

I have looked and looked and I'm either missing it, or it isn't in the CBA or FAQ...

How long do Second Round Pick Tenders count for a team against the Tax Apron calculation? Is it for as long as the team has the player's rights (in order to keep the rights they have to offer the Tender each year, per my understanding)? Or does the Tender only count for the first year of holding the rights? This comes in to play in a real example for a team like San Antonio which currently holds the rights to 11 players. That is approximately 5.5 million that would be added to their Tax Apron calculation.

When I can't find an answer for myself, you all are the ones I turn to. Hopefully you can help me out here again! Let me know if you need me to clarify what I am asking.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Re: Second Round Pick Tenders for Tax Apron Calculation 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:47 pm

It's my understanding that the apron rules for a tender mirror the team's opportunity to sign that drafted player.

Unless other action is taken, required tenders may (and usually do) expire on the 1st day of the regular season (1st rd) or Oct 15 (2nd rd), and have to be offered again the next year in order for a team to retain the rights to an unsigned pick.

When a player has signed elsewhere for a season, the tender (which is essentially a standing offer) becomes moot because the possibility of him being signed is no longer applicable for that season.

The team can also drop the tender (removing any cap effect) if team and player agree in writing that he won't sign a deal with them that season.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Wed Jan 7, 2015 1:51 pm

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but after further reading, I think your understanding is correct. So, for Tax Apron calculation purposes, you are under the belief that the Tender amount (which is applied towards the Tax Apron) is reduced to $0.00 when the date is hit, the player signs elsewhere, or there is an agreement between the player and team? I think that is where I am at as well now, but wanted to confirm.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#4 » by Dunkenstein » Wed Jan 7, 2015 6:51 pm

In essence, no outstanding tenders of any nature count against team salary, the luxury tax or the apron once the regular season begins.

Return to CBA & Business