Protections on a pick that wasn't originally owned?

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Protections on a pick that wasn't originally owned? 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:56 am

Can a team put protections on a pick they want to trade if they didn't originally own that pick?

For example, if the Celtics wanted to flip the Clippers pick they have (currently no protections), could they put protections it?

Or can you only put protections on your own picks?

I looked through the CBA and the FAQ fairly quickly and couldn't find anything. I didn't do a deep dive, and figured I would get just as quick an answer here.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Re: Protections on a pick that wasn't originally owned? 

Post#2 » by giberish » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:21 am

Sure, as long as they don't change the protection issues for the original team (Boston obviously can't change the stipulations on whether the Clippers send out the pick, but they can add conditions about whether Boston or a 3rd team gets the pick). The most common way would be to do a 'lessor pick of :Boston/LAC/BK 1sts' sent out (or a greater of for a better pick, or even a middle of 3 though I can't think of a recent example for that).

Recent examples include Denver trading the 'lessor of the Denver and NYK 2014 1sts' to Orlando, New York trading the 'lessor of the Denver and NYK 2016 1sts' to Toronto, and the complicated scenarios with Cleveland in 2013 (where they had 4 potential picks, theirs, Miami, Sacramento - that was protected and hence not sent, and the Lakers - as long as it wasn't in the Lotto, mashed together).
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Re: Protections on a pick that wasn't originally owned? 

Post#3 » by 165bows » Thu Dec 4, 2014 1:17 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Can a team put protections on a pick they want to trade if they didn't originally own that pick?

For example, if the Celtics wanted to flip the Clippers pick they have (currently no protections), could they put protections it?

Or can you only put protections on your own picks?

I looked through the CBA and the FAQ fairly quickly and couldn't find anything. I didn't do a deep dive, and figured I would get just as quick an answer here.

I believe they are not modifiable once traded. In other words, once you get a pick in trade, the protections are what they are.

Though there have been trades where teams drop the protections of a previously traded pick to that same team.

Return to CBA & Business