Renouncing FA rights

rein08
Senior
And1: 18

Renouncing FA rights 

Post#1 » by rein08 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:53 am

I was playing around the Trade Checker when I found out that Boston has a LOT of FA rights over players who aren't even in the league anymore. Guys like Stephon Marbury, Carlos Arroyo, Michael Finley, Shaq, Nenad Krstic and Scot Pollard (not to mention Nate Robinson, Vitor Faverani, and Chris Douglas-Roberts). If I'm not mistaken, they still have monetary value hitting the Celtics' books right? Why aren't they renouncing some, if not all, of them?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Renouncing FA rights 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:21 am

rein08 wrote:I was playing around the Trade Checker when I found out that Boston has a LOT of FA rights over players who aren't even in the league anymore. Guys like Stephon Marbury, Carlos Arroyo, Michael Finley, Shaq, Nenad Krstic and Scot Pollard (not to mention Nate Robinson, Vitor Faverani, and Chris Douglas-Roberts). If I'm not mistaken, they still have monetary value hitting the Celtics' books right? Why aren't they renouncing some, if not all, of them?

A couple of teams are like this. Boston and San Antonio having the longest lists. The basic reason is there isn't a reason to renounce until you need Cap space. Neither team has been in a spot to get there, so they simply haven't done it.

Robinson, Faverani, and CDR are all carried, or dead money, not Cap Holds. That is because they were waived this year with guaranteed money.

The old Cap Hold list shrinks a bit each year. Two years ago it was Indiana and last year the Lakers.

Return to CBA & Business