Trading Cash

sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Trading Cash 

Post#1 » by sportscrazy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Is the max cash allowed in a trade still $3 Million per trade? If not, what is the maximum allowed in a trade and are there any additional restrictions?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Re: Trading Cash 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:10 pm

sportscrazy wrote:Is the max cash allowed in a trade still $3 Million per trade? If not, what is the maximum allowed in a trade and are there any additional restrictions?

The new CBA made it an amount that increases 100k per year. The rule also made it so each team can:
1) receive 3m* total in a given year
2) send 3m* total in a given year

3m* being the amount that it has increased to for that year, with for the current year, the amount is 3.4m
And not a net amount either (i.e. send 6m because you also got 3m).

As usual the cbafaq has you covered:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q97

One thing I will note is that the amount resets on July 1st, so to trade cash on draft night you need to have not traded it from July till then.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#3 » by sportscrazy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:18 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:Is the max cash allowed in a trade still $3 Million per trade? If not, what is the maximum allowed in a trade and are there any additional restrictions?

The new CBA made it an amount that increases 100k per year. The rule also made it so each team can:

3m* being the amount that it has increased to for that year, with for the current year, the amount is 3.4m

One thing I will note is that the amount resets on July 1st, so to trade cash on draft night you need to have not traded it from July till then.

Thanks, is there any way to see what teams still have their $3.4 Million available to offer?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#4 » by Smitty731 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:22 pm

sportscrazy wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Thanks, is there any way to see what teams still have their $3.4 Million available to offer?

Eric Pincus tracks it on the Basketball Insiders salary pages.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#5 » by sportscrazy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Does this trade work under the CBA?

New York gets:
Chris Kaman
Gerald Henderson

Philadelphia gets:
Jose Calderon

Portland gets:
Carl Landry
$3.4 Million Cash (via Knicks)
2017 Houston Rockets Second Round Draft Pick
2019 Houston Rockets Second Round Draft Pick
2019 Cleveland Cavaliers Second Round Draft Pick
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#6 » by sportscrazy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

So from the Kyle O'Quinn trade sending out $100,000, the Knicks can send out $3.3 Million still?
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,525

Post#7 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-team-salaries-at-a-glance/

and in particular -- http://www.basketballinsiders.com/new-york-knicks-team-salary/

Cash Paid ($3.4 million max): $100k to Orlando Magic (Kyle O’Quinn),

Cash Received ($3.4 million max): $0

It really is an amazing resource that he does it, as you used to never be able to track down what 'cash considerations' meant, and often even that isn't listed.

For instance, in the Sixers trade with the Knicks last draft, the Knicks gave up 2 future picks for the 35th pick was the headline and the text even, but looking later revealed that there also was 1.5m cash paid as well. Which counted as last year since it was before July 1st.

Return to CBA & Business