Would someone mind doing a little testing?

LarryCoon
Rookie
And1: 0

Would someone mind doing a little testing? 

Post#1 » by LarryCoon » Wed Oct 1, 2008 8:54 pm

I've done a pretty big revision of the FAQ to be XHTML 1.0 & CSS 2.1 compliant. The FAQ itself is (almost) unchanged -- it's the underlying HTML that's now completely different. Before putting it up for general use, I'd appreciate if people can bang on it with different browsers to see if anything is amiss:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycapnew.htm

Thanks!
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Re: Would someone mind doing a little testing? 

Post#2 » by Dunkenstein » Wed Oct 1, 2008 9:20 pm

I use Mac OS X. The new FAQ works in both Safari and Camino.

However, in both browsers the font is considerably smaller which makes it harder for my aging eyes to read.
Dekko1
Sophomore

Post#3 » by Dekko1 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 10:11 pm

Looks good in firefox, Chrome and IE for me and it loads faster.
The bookmarks from the index to the questions work much better, they come up properly at the start of the question instead of in the general vicinity.
Laurel T
"If you can't say anything nice, sit next to me."
Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
LarryCoon
Rookie

Post#4 » by LarryCoon » Wed Oct 1, 2008 10:39 pm

Thanks guys.

On the font size -- It "should" be the same, although I switched from serif to sans-serif to improve readability. And since I'm using standards, and the standards are meant to support adaptability, the FAQ -should- be adaptable to who want to alter the font size to make it even more readable. I was hoping someone with some experience doing this can check it out.

On bookmarks -- thanks for noticing. I used to use the now-deprecated practice of sticking an <a> tag at the start of each question. Now I'm providing logical organization through the use of <div> tags which also provides for better linking. The second benefit is that I can more easily change the presentation -- previously the horizontal rules which separate the questions were hard-coded into the document with <hr> tags, and now it's done by the stylesheet. If I ever want to change the presentation (say, to alternating color backgrounds) I can make the change easily. And since I can have different style sheets for screen vs. printed presentation, I no longer feel compelled to format the document to facilitate printing. So it opens some doors for me (but I still intend to keep the signal:noise ratio very high).

One downside is that the standard specifies that ids should begin with a letter, and the FAQ questions all used the question number. By adopting the standard, I'll be breaking any bookmarks or postings people have that linked to a specific question. I decided to go ahead and do this, since I occasionally insert, delete, split or merge questions, which causes the numbers to change. So some booksmarks or postings might actually be pointing to the wrong question.

In fact, I'm probably going to take this a step further before releasing it. I don't like having the links related to the question numbers at all, because every time I make a change that affects the numbering, I have to manually check/fix the contents, index, revision history, and all other internal references. If the names are orthogonal to the numbers, then I'll no longer have to do any of this when I make a change that affects the numbering. I've already accomplished this to a limited extent by having a counter which numbers the questions themselves. In order to finish the job I'll have to figure out how to make the index look good (especially since I don't want to use scripting).

I know -- a lot of chatter for what's really a very basic web site. But I've had my head buried in this for about a week, so I like talking about it. :-)
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#5 » by Dunkenstein » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:59 am

LarryCoon wrote:Thanks guys.

On the font size -- It "should" be the same, although I switched from serif to sans-serif to improve readability. And since I'm using standards, and the standards are meant to support adaptability, the FAQ -should- be adaptable to who want to alter the font size to make it even more readable. I was hoping someone with some experience doing this can check it out.

By clicking on the "make font larger" icon on my toolbar, I can make the font of the new FAQ the same size as the old FAQ.
Dekko1
Sophomore

Post#6 » by Dekko1 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 7:20 am

LarryCoon wrote:Thanks guys.

The 'view' font options and keyboard commands Ctrl + Ctrl -
take the font size up or down just fine in IE, Firefox and Chrome.

Laurel
Laurel T

"If you can't say anything nice, sit next to me."

Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
LarryCoon
Rookie

Post#7 » by LarryCoon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:14 pm

It's now deployed. Thanks everyone for your help.

Return to CBA & Business