Childress Can Be Traded?

arenas809
Pro Prospect
And1: 75

Childress Can Be Traded? 

Post#1 » by arenas809 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:56 am

WHAT’S YOUR CONTRACTUAL SITUATION WITH THE HAWKS?

The interesting thing is that I’m on their books for like $10 million. It makes it tough on them to keep my rights. Even though they’re not paying me, I’m on their cap.

If I stay all three years, I don’t think I’d be Hawks property. But by then, they would probably have to waive me or trade my rights. They have a lot of guys that they have to sign. They have to sign Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, Al Horford, Acie Law. They’re going to need that money; they’re going to have to trade me or waive me. And once that happens, it makes the process so much easier.

Sorry if this was already discussed, but I didn't know he could be traded, I thought he was a free agent but with restricted status, not tradedable property for the Hawks.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Re: Childress Can Be Traded? 

Post#2 » by Dunkenstein » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 am

First off, Childress is on Atlanta's team salary only for cap purposes. He does not count against their team salary when it comes time to calculate luxury tax. Since it is unlikely that Atlanta will be below the salary cap any time in the future, it really doesn't hurt the Hawks to hold on to him.

Secondly, while the rights to an unsigned rookie can be traded, the only way a veteran free agent can be traded is through a sign-and-traded. A team can't trade his rights.

So contrary to Childress's assertion there is no benefit for Atlanta to either trade or waive him (actually renounce his rights would be the proper term).

I guess in Josh's case a Stanford education isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,042

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:43 pm

He's gonna be soooooooooo pissed when he comes back to America and figures out that he pretty much wasted 3 years of an NBA career. Yeah, he made more money, and probably had a pretty awesome time in Greece, but to assume that he was just going to go over to Greece for 3 years, make some extra money, and then come back and be an unrestricted free agent because he thinks Atlanta HAS to either trade his rights (not possible) or waive him (actually, renounce his rights) is just ridiculous.

His agent is probably going to get fired, but he probably already got the biggest pay day any agent will get off of Josh Childress.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#4 » by Dunkenstein » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:03 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:His agent is probably going to get fired, but he probably already got the biggest pay day any agent will get off of Josh Childress.

An interesting fact you all may not have known. Agents of NBA players are limited to commissions of 4% paid by the player. Agents of European players get 10% of the player's salary, payed by the team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,042

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:56 am

I didn't know the American limit was 4%, but I do vaguely remember reading that Childress' agent got a 10% commission, and that the team payed it for Childress as one of his bonuses for signing there (housing, vacation, transportation allowances as well, I believe, as well as paying all taxes on the contract for him).
FGump
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#6 » by FGump » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:36 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:... as well as paying all taxes on the contract for him).

Just to be clear, the contract amount publicized was a net contract after Greek national taxes (only), not net of all taxes.

Return to CBA & Business