Protected draft picks

King 30
Freshman
And1: 0

Protected draft picks 

Post#1 » by King 30 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Question from the Knicks board.

Knicks owe the Jazz a 1st round pick(via Suns), top 22 protected in 2009 or unprotected in 2010.

If the pick is 1-22, the Knicks keep the pick.
If the pick is 23-30 then it automatically goes to Utah.

Question is, if the pick is say 20th, can the Knicks just convey it to the Jazz, without the Jazz approval, to complete the obligation?
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Re: Protected draft picks 

Post#2 » by Dunkenstein » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:39 am

My understanding that since it would mean amending the terms of the deal, Utah would have to agree with changing those terms, even if the change appears to be in Utah's favor.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#3 » by loserX » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:14 am

^It isn't really to Utah's favour...it's the Knicks trying to get out of giving up the 2010 pick, which is completely unprotected ;)

But yes, amending the terms of a previously executed trade requires the agreement of both parties.
HammJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#4 » by HammJ » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:06 am

A somewhat similar situation came about a few years ago, though under a previous CBA. I'm almost certain to blow some of the details here, but hang with me. And please correct me where I may be mistaken:

In 1997 the then-Vancouver Grizzlies traded a future 1st round pick to the Pistons for Otis Thorpe. Under the terms of the deal, Detroit was to receive a first-round pick between second and 18th overall. Vancouver was to choose the year, from 1998 to 2003, in which it would surrender the pick.

Also I understand that the pick did not have to be Vancouver's own. During that timeframe they could have acquired a pick within that range from another team, then conveyed it to Detroit to complete the deal.

As many know well, the Grizz kept deferring and never was able to acquire another pick to satisfy the deal. In a moment that had to have newly hired Grizz VP Jerry West screaming "f$%# me!" in his mind, the Grizz came oh so close to winning the #1 overall pick (and thus LeBron James) in 2003. Cleveland got the prize pick instead, the Grizz pick fell to second overall and off to Detroit it went.

But... here's the interesting part (and here's where I'm bound to screw up some details):

In 2002 the Rockets owed the Grizz a pick that the Grizz could have then conveyed to Detroit to complete the Thorpe trade. Houston owed the Grizz a 1st rounder as part of the 1999 Steve Francis-to-Houston trade. The Rockets' pick was the 15th overall in 2002, but the terms of the deal said the pick had to be in the top 13 (a little different type of protection than we're used to seeing on draft picks).

However the Grizz were willing to cave on the terms in 2002. If the Grizz could acquire that 15th overall pick in 2002, they could have finally put the dreaded Thorpe trade behind them. But Houston had to agree to this revision of the terms, even though it was in their favor.

Detroit called Houston and offered them a second round pick in exchange for NOT accepting Memphis' offer. Houston agreed. It didn't really matter to the Rockets, so they decided they might as well snag a free pick.

And again, you know the rest of the story.

(This could go on and on, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention hindsight. In those years that Memphis declined to complete the trade, they drafted Mike Bibby, Francis, Stromile Swift, Pau Gasol (acquired in a deal for Shareef Abdur-Rahim), Shane Battier and Drew Gooden with picks that could have went to Detroit.)
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#5 » by NetsForce » Sun Dec 7, 2008 6:51 am

Wow I never knew that, thanks for the info HammJ. It seems like Houston cock-blocked hard, not that I blame them...

Return to CBA & Business