A Couple Quick Question about trades

Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

A Couple Quick Question about trades 

Post#1 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:07 pm

The new salary numbers go into effect after the July Moratorium, right?

So any trades prior to the Moratorium use this current years salary numbers?

As far as trades go, can a team start trading once they are eliminated from the playoffs or does everyone need to wait until after the Finals?

Lastly, obviously players who's contracts expire cannot be traded. What about players where there is uncertainty, such as ETO, PO, TO, or unguaranteed contract. Specifically I'm curious about unguaranteed, but the others as well.
lakerfan10770
Starter
And1: 3

Re: A Couple Quick Question about trades 

Post#2 » by lakerfan10770 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:The new salary numbers go into effect after the July Moratorium, right?

As far as trades go, can a team start trading once they are eliminated from the playoffs or does everyone need to wait until after the Finals?

Lastly, obviously players who's contracts expire cannot be traded. What about players where there is uncertainty, such as ETO, PO, TO, or unguaranteed contract. Specifically I'm curious about unguaranteed, but the others as well.

My understanding is that once a teams season is finished they are free to make trades assuming the other teams season is over as well (obviously). Players with ETO's, PO's or TO's can't be traded, but as far as I know there is no problem trading players with non-guaranteed contracts.

I remember this coming up last year with KVH's contract. He had a fully non-guaranteed contract for the '08-'09 season and had the Nets found the right deal, the new team could of gotten immediate cap relief for the '08-'09 season by waiving him.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#3 » by loserX » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:25 pm

lakerfan10770 wrote:
Friend_Of_Haley wrote:The new salary numbers go into effect after the July Moratorium, right?

My understanding is that once a teams season is finished they are free to make trades assuming the other teams season is over as well (obviously). Players with ETO's, PO's or TO's can't be traded, but as far as I know there is no problem trading players with non-guaranteed contracts.

Just to be clear, if the option has been picked up, the player can be traded. It's only if the situation is still uncertain that he cannot. (That's my understanding, anyway.)

lakerfan10770 wrote:I remember this coming up last year with KVH's contract. He had a fully non-guaranteed contract for the '08-'09 season and had the Nets found the right deal, the new team could of gotten immediate cap relief for the '08-'09 season by waiving him.

This is correct, players with unguaranteed (or only partly guaranteed) contracts can still be traded. The Cleveland Cavaliers once acquired Cedric Simmons from the Hornets for David Wesley's unguaranteed contract, and the Hornets promptly cut Wesley and took the immediate cap savings.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#4 » by Three34 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:52 pm

Sorry to be all anal and that, but the Hornets actually traded him to the Nets for the guaranteed contracts of Bernard Robinson and Mile Ilic, and some cash as a sweetener, before all three players got waived. Yeahhhhh, look at me being hypocritically anal about unimportant details. *beats chest*
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#5 » by loserX » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:12 pm

Sham wrote:Sorry to be all anal and that, but the Hornets actually traded him to the Nets for the guaranteed contracts of Bernard Robinson and Mile Ilic, and some cash as a sweetener, before all three players got waived. Yeahhhhh, look at me being hypocritically anal about unimportant details. *beats chest*

You have made a powerful enemy this day.

*raising fists* SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Return to CBA & Business