CBA - Roster Charges and Waived Players

ChipButty
Senior
And1: 89

CBA - Roster Charges and Waived Players 

Post#1 » by ChipButty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:59 pm

I am trying to understand how many roster charges the Pistons currently have. This is what it states about roster charges in section 14 of Larry Coon's FAQ:

"A roster charge if the team has fewer than 12 players (players under contract, free agents included in team salary, players given offer sheets, and first round draft picks). The roster charge is equal to the rookie minimum salary for each player below 12. The roster charge only applies during the offseason."

Pistons traded away Afflalo/Sharpe today and currently have 8 players (Hamilton, Prince, Gordon, Villanueva, Maxiel, Kwame, Stuckey, Bynum) under contract and 1 first round pick (Daye).

How does Fabricio Oberto fit into this. The Pistons traded for him and his partially guaranteed contract and then waived him on July 1st. He must have cleared waivers and be a free agent by now. Does Oberto count as a free agent included in team salary? I tried to read the official CBA defining what this means but got lost. It makes no sense to me that a team can waive a player but still have him count as 1 of 12 players. If Oberto does currently count as 1 of 12 players does this change when he signs a deal with another team?
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Re: CBA - Roster Charges and Waived Players 

Post#2 » by Three34 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:14 am

He was waived, so he's not one of your free agents. To be a "team's" free agent, they need some kind of Bird rights on that player. And if you waive someone, you lose any such Bird rights.

Return to CBA & Business