Moderators?

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
vincecarter55
Rookie
And1: 1,844

Moderators? 

Post#1 » by vincecarter55 » Thu May 8, 2014 6:02 pm

Can someone explain to me why there are so many threads that get locked and merged? And who determines who gets to be a moderator? It just seems that their personal opinion ends up being a large factor in the process... I'm sure that this will get locked or merged as well but I might get a few answers beforehand lol.
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Re: Moderators? 

Post#2 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu May 8, 2014 6:04 pm

The mods are all ex-raptors coaches, gms, and players
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
Spacing
Banned User
And1: 2,252

Post#3 » by Spacing » Thu May 8, 2014 6:10 pm

A lot of it has to do with keeping the board clean and relevant.

I personally dislike the idea that you can't bump an old thread because you could be a new poster and want to talk about an old topic. Why start from scratch when you can continue where everyone else left off?

This seems to be one of the few forums I visit with this policy while the others prefer that instead of creating a brand new thread you just bump the old one if something relevant comes up or if you'd like to continue the discussion.

With the issue being that if you created a new thread all the posters enter with "Already posted" "beaten to death" etc, etc while you may have never actually been a part of the original discussions. Whereas if you were to bump the old thread the mods swoop in for the kill so it seems like its lose lose.

Just my two cents.
Rookie
And1: 1,023

Post#4 » by 416 » Thu May 8, 2014 6:46 pm

Spacing wrote:A lot of it has to do with keeping the board clean and relevant.

I personally dislike the idea that you can't bump an old thread because you could be a new poster and want to talk about an old topic. Why start from scratch when you can continue where everyone else left off?

This seems to be one of the few forums I visit with this policy while the others prefer that instead of creating a brand new thread you just bump the old one if something relevant comes up or if you'd like to continue the discussion.

With the issue being that if you created a new thread all the posters enter with "Already posted" "beaten to death" etc, etc while you may have never actually been a part of the original discussions. Whereas if you were to bump the old thread the mods swoop in for the kill so it seems like its lose lose.

Just my two cents.

this is a really fair comment, and if anyone with any sort of answers could elaborate or explain the reasoning for this I would like to know why as well.
thanks sh00n
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#5 » by Undefeated » Thu May 8, 2014 7:33 pm

Some threads are locked because it's not relevant to the Raptors. If you have an example of which thread was locked I could look into it and give you an explaination, but it most likely has to do with the above. As for merging threads, a lot of topics are rehashed which is why they're merged. It's unnecessary to create a new thread when certain topics have already been discussed and by putting the discussion under one thread it makes it easier to follow and avoids cluttering the board. Hopefully that answers your question.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Rookie
And1: 1,023

Post#6 » by 416 » Thu May 8, 2014 9:01 pm

Undefeated wrote:Some threads are locked because it's not relevant to the Raptors. If you have an example of which thread was locked I could look into it and give you an explaination, but it most likely has to do with the above. As for merging threads, a lot of topics are rehashed which is why they're merged. It's unnecessary to create a new thread when certain topics have already been discussed and by putting the discussion under one thread it makes it easier to follow and avoids cluttering the board. Hopefully that answers your question.

yea this is helpful, thank you (especially meriging of threads, that is good work that you mods do).

Also spacing mentioned above my original post that bumping old threads is a no-no (even if they are relevant). Never really tried it so I'm taking his word for it, but is that true; if so wouldn't that add to the clutter of the board?

just want to point out that I am also genuinely curious about how the threads are organized, and in no way am I trying to bash moderators/realgm staff. Sometimes, intent gets lost in translation over text, so thought I'd mention it off the get go. cheers
thanks sh00n
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,644

Post#7 » by Howard Mass » Sun May 11, 2014 6:33 pm

Thanks for answering this undefeated.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Feedback and Suggestions