Mass Dispatch 5.0: "Beat The Commish", "Who Wants To Be A...

The Happenings On The RealGM Forums With Administrator Howard Mass
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,607

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Mass Dispatch 5.0.

In this week's edition of Mass Dispatch....................

The Mass Matter focuses on our new NFL Game “Beat The Commish”, The Mass Dispatch Who Wants To Be a Moderator? Invitational and possibly scrapping The NFL Team Forums.

In Ask Howard, the questions include What The General NBA Board Moderator Appeals Committee sees when reviewing user appeals, Can Users with Read-Only Access Users report posts of The General NBA Board, Thoughts on Competitors and Who created RealGM?

We then have our Mass Dispatch User, Thread and Moderator of the Week followed by The General Off-Topic Board User of the Month.

To close things out, I take everyone Inside The Administrator's office for some early thoughts on the field of candidates who have applied to become a Moderator as part of The Mass Dispatch Who Wants To Be A Moderator? Invitational. I also discuss an NBA Team Forum's Moderator search that will start moving this week and how many users have applied for General NBA Board Strike Amnesty.

Let's get to The Mass Matter.........................

The Mass Matter: “Beat The Commish”, Invitational Update and Scrap The NFL Team Forums?

Last week, I mentioned that there would be several contests announced to help get our NFL Forums going and here is another none.

Announcing.............

“Beat The Commish” RealGM's Weekly User and Moderator NFL Picks

Every week of The NFL Season, All RealGM Users and Moderators will be invited to play “Beat The Commish”.

It will be the RealGM Forums' own weekly Pick Em game where RealGM Users will guess the Winners of all of that Week's NFL Games.

“Beat The Commish” will have it's own forum where users will make their weekly picks.

Every user who beats The Commish (yours truly) will get an AND 1 from me and listed in the following week's Mass Dispatch.
I will keep track of everyone's overall record Week to Week
I also plan to have a Category where Individual NFL Forums will go up against each other.

This is going to be a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing who can be “Beat The Commish”

Mass Dispatch Who Wants To Be A Moderator? Invitational Update

As expected, quite a few users contacted me last week and applied to become a Moderator. There were users from all walks of The RealGM Forums and yes, there are people in the group that I believe can be RealGM Moderators.

There is still time to apply and no one should be shy.

At worst, I get to interact with you and even if I do not select you as our next RealGM Moderator, you could still win an interview from the User vote that will start next week or even put yourself on my radar for other Moderator Vacancies.

I will be announcing the winner next week in Mass Dispatch 6.0.

Close NFL Team Forums?

Some comments were made about possibly closing our NFL Team Forums and just having one General NFL Board.

We used to have the setup mid-last decade with our NFL Gridiron Forum but we then decided to expand.

Unfortunately, we did not do it right and our navigation made the forums like they were on another planet.

We have had some success stories though with our Green Bay Packers, Seattle Seahawks and Chicago Bears Forums to name a few and if people know there is a discussion going on there, The NFL Team forums can be built up.

Will they be bigger than our Basketball Forums? No! However, there are more than enough NBA Fans who are NFL fans to make our NFL Forums popular and we can definitely do it.

One of the reasons Mass Dispatch was started was to increase traffic for the other forums and I think these contests I introduce along with Mass Dispatch, The MyForums and hopefully something else that I hope we can do with the next forum upgrades could keep driving traffic.

I am very optimistic that these things above will do the trick and to answer the question, The NFL Team Forums are not going to close.

ASK HOWARD

Have a question about RealGM? The Forums? An Issue you would like me to address publicly or something in general? just post it in the Ask Howard Thread of The Mass Dispatch Forum or you could send me a PM and I just might answer it in my next column.

Here are this week's questions....................

SF88 Asks: During the appeal process, is the NBA Appeals Committee able to see what post the person made to get the infractions and suspensions?

Howard's Response: Yes, they are and I can pull up the original post if they need to see it. :D

SF88 Also Asks: Can a person with RO access report a post in the NBA General Forum that they think is trolling or breaking the rules? If so, how? Using the same exclamation point (!)?

Howard's Response: No, they cannot and The General NBA Board Moderators ask that Read-Only Access Users not report alleged infractions as some tend to be report things constantly out of bitterness over their Read-Only Access.

MalikJoakim24 Asks: How do you feel about RealGM compared to the other competitor forums going forward?

Howard's Response: I welcome competition but I really like where we are. We have by far the largest Basketball Forum on the internet and the best moderated one as well.

Our recent Forum Upgrades also were a nice boost and believe we will continue to grow our other forums and fan bases while continuing to be the best basketball forums on the internet.

Earl Asks: I was wondering who was responsible for the creation of realgm.com and who is currently the head of the site. It is you?

Howard's Response: It was not me.

RealGM was started in the summer of 2000 by Ryan Hoak and Michael Benbow. They met on a message board and starting talking. Ryan had this wonderful idea for this thing called a Trade Checker and Michael was a Programmer who could help make this idea a reality and they did.

The site launched in September of 2000.

That summer I had a goal of compiling a list of every NBA Team's Future Draft Pick situation and someone who I contacted for information Tony Farr told me about this site called RealGM.com that was launching in September and that they were compliling this information themselves.

I waited and a few days after it's launch, I contacted them to compare information and to point out a few salary errors.

Ryan Hoak got back to me quickly and thanked me. I then sent pointed out other contract errors over the next few weeks.

After that, I got my own column writing about The Orlando Magic, then I became their Draft Pick guy and then a Partner within like a month or two all at the age of 19 and only a few months out of high school.

The story of RealGM is fascinating and I'll discuss it further in-depth in future editions of Mass Dispatch.

Mass Dispatch Weekly Awards

It's time for the Weekly Mass Dispatch Forum Awards. 

If you know of a User, Post, or Thread that deserves to be recognized, please either send me a PM or make a post on The Mass Dispatch Forum.

Your nominee might just receive an Award.

Mass Dispatch User of The Week

Smitty731

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=158185

Smitty wins this week's award for going the extra mile on our NBA Trade and Transactions Forum and creating a thread for each team on their Salary Cap situation.

The threads are older than a week but Smitty keeps updating them.

This user really put a lot of effort into these threads for our users and for that, they are our User of the Week.

Congratulations Smitty731!

Mass Dispatch Thread of The Week

The NBA Trades and Transactions Forum Threads Created by Smitty731

When I was told by Moderator Chuck Texas about these threads, I knew I had a winner.

If you want to know any team's Salary Cap situation, just go to this thread and it has links to the situation of all 30 NBA Teams.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1323816

Congratulations to our NBA Trades and Transactions Forum and especially to Smitty731!

Mass Dispatch Moderator of The Week

General Off Topic Board Moderator Geddy

The campaign by our General off Topic Regulars was not the only reason for Geddy receiving this award.

He also does a lot of things behind the scenes to keep The Asylum (Those GOTBers can be crazy at times) in check.

Geddy also is the best at cracking my cryptic codes and helped me make a Signature for last night's Judgment that a user received for crossing the line.

I love having you on staff Geddy!

Congratulations Geddy!

Mass Dispatch General Off Topic Board User of The Month

A few weeks ago, I announced that their would be a monthly General Off Topic Forum User of The Month Award and now it is time to reveal The Winner......

It was close between a few users but in the end, I selected one user who always make interesting posts, hilarious jabs and did have a wonderful idea for The FIFA World Cup on the Forum this year.

While he went too far once, he never backtracked and stood his ground even to me for his principles for six months as El MyLittlePony.

The General Off Topic Board would not be the same without him and he is the first Mass Dispatch General Off Topic Board User of The Month.

El Turco

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=61541

Tonight at 10 PM EST, I will drop by The General Off Topic Board for a Coronation Ceremony where El Turco will receive his special title for the month and the perks that come with it on The General Off Topic Board.

Congratulations El Turco!

Inside The Administrator's Office

I really like the field of users that have applied to become a Moderator as part of The Mass Dispatch Who Wants To Be A Moderator? Invitational.

A lot of users took their applications seriously and it's at the point where I might even contact candidates after I select The Winner and The User Vote that will begin next week after I announce The Winner is complete.

I do hope even more users decide to apply but this Invitational is definitely looking like a success.

Speaking of Moderators, On Friday, I am going to begin the process of adding another Moderator to one of our NBA Forums. It's a Forum that has been growing rapidly and believe one of the newer users will be ready to become a Moderator before the start of The NBA Season.

Finally, I am stunned at the lack of participation in The General NBA Board Strike Amnesty Period. Only five users have applied for Strike Amnesty......

There is still time but I am simply puzzled by the lack of participation.

Contact Mass Dispatch

If anyone has a question, feedback, feel a user, thread or Moderator should be recognized or something they would like to see in Mass Dispatch, please post it on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM. You could even send me a note on Twitter @homassrealgm

Thanks to everyone for continuing to make the RealGM Forums the best forums on the internet.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Re: Mass Dispatch 5.0: "Beat The Commish", "Who Wants To Be  

Post#2 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:46 pm

Geddy is good, Geddy is great.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#3 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Hey Howard,

You mentioned that you will be adding a new moderator to a growing forum.

Based on the way you phrased that sentence, it seems like you have already picked out a person to be that new moderator, correct?

Also, do you foresee a time when a new moderator for an NBA forum will be selected through an application process (like what you're doing for the NFL moderator opening)?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#4 » by hermes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:58 pm

congrats to geddy and el turco, well deserved
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#5 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 pm

i love geddy too
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#6 » by Slava » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Beat the commish sounds interesting. Great work Howard!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#7 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:14 pm

I also like the tallying of the best records, great way to bring users In to the forums !!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,595

Post#8 » by kyphi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Tasmanian devil on the loose :lol:
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#9 » by EArl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 pm

I like this beat the commish thing. Good idea.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,567

Post#10 » by Sofia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:15 pm

I got a shout out :thumbsup:
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#11 » by Smitty731 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks for the accolades! I love doing the Cap Series and it is awesome to see that it is so appreciated by the community. I've posted this on the T&T board, but I am so happy to have found a community of such passionate NBA fans. I love the discussions we can have and how in to it everyone is. This place is awesome and I feel like I've found my home since joining the boards.

Thanks again to all and happy to be here!
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#12 » by blkout » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Vote for blkout
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#13 » by kingkirk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:09 am

kyphi wrote:let me point out that I was supportive of creating an Off-Topic Australian Board. That turned out to be a mistake since they have claimed Off-topic board and do not allow non Aussies (or ones they claim) to win their RTT's.
The sports they discuss can be on the international sports board. While I enjoy their posts here, there is no reason to keep that board since, obviously, they use the OT board (which does not deserve ridicule from mods) instead.

How is this relevant to this thread?
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#14 » by blkout » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:17 am

KingCuban wrote:
kyphi wrote:let me point out that I was supportive of creating an Off-Topic Australian Board. That turned out to be a mistake since they have claimed Off-topic board and do not allow non Aussies (or ones they claim) to win their RTT's.
The sports they discuss can be on the international sports board. While I enjoy their posts here, there is no reason to keep that board since, obviously, they use the OT board (which does not deserve ridicule from mods) instead.

How is this relevant to this thread?

She's 100% right and I have now rectified these issues viewtopic.php?f=358&t=1338653
MalikJoakim24
Banned User
And1: 3,420

Post#15 » by MalikJoakim24 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:19 am

really like the beat the commish idea

and

YES GEDDY WON
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#16 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:37 am

I thought you created this place Howard but still Beat the Commish sounds like a challenge.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,595

Post#17 » by kyphi » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:13 pm

Howard has the communications and people skills RealGM needed.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#18 » by Ado05 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:48 pm

greenbeans wrote:Geddy is good, Geddy is great.

Geddy is life.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#19 » by Wo1verine » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:20 pm

Geddy's name needs to be switched to red or green at the very least, Howard. :nod:
BrunoSkull
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#20 » by truth18 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 pm

hermes wrote:congrats to geddy and el turco, well deserved

F'sho.

Keep the dispatches coming Howard! Ill work.
YOU LOSE

Return to Mass Dispatch