Sexism on the board

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Shewasfly
Head Coach
And1: 11,752

Sexism on the board 

Post#1 » by Shewasfly » Sat Nov 1, 2014 6:49 pm

Hello. I'm a straight woman and I enjoy sports. I'd like to be able to talk about them on here from time to time without being subjected to sexist talk or have to look at random pictures of half naked women. I don't think men would be told to tolerate being in a space where they were talked about like objects or like they're inferior anymore than women should be asked to.

I also would appreciate if the rules would be applied the same across the board. If a guy can post hundreds of irrelevant pictures of naked or nearly naked women and no mod bats an eyelash, the mod(s) who see one picture of a half naked man should not be allowed to immediately delete that post and especially so without explanation.

My suggestion is to deal with this, immediately. Thanks :angel:
:tiredJB:
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,612

Re: Sexism on the board 

Post#2 » by kyphi » Sun Nov 2, 2014 12:47 am

You go, girl,but don't go calling people morons, either.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#3 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sun Nov 2, 2014 12:54 am

Try the offtopic board for more pictures of males.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by kyphi » Sun Nov 2, 2014 1:00 am

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:Try the offtopic board for more pictures of males.

kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by kyphi » Sun Nov 2, 2014 4:02 pm

Shewasfly wrote:Hello. I'm a straight woman and I enjoy sports. I'd like to be able to talk about them on here from time to time without being subjected to sexist talk or have to look at random pictures of half naked women. I don't think men would be told to tolerate being in a space where they were talked about like objects or like they're inferior anymore than women should be asked to.

I also would appreciate if the rules would be applied the same across the board. If a guy can post hundreds of irrelevant pictures of naked or nearly naked women and no mod bats an eyelash, the mod(s) who see one picture of a half naked man should not be allowed to immediately delete that post and especially so without explanation.

I've been here 10 yrs longer than you, and you do have a valid point. Realgm HAS become better with restrictions on pictures of scantily clad women. We have some globals who have women's backs on this matter. Plus, we now have spoiler tags which help also. But, and it's a big but, this is a sports' site and sports' culture does include scantily-clad women. It's everywhere; sex sells.
Most of these pictures are in game threads across RealGm and include pictures of that team's "dancers" as good luck charms. Some game thread creators go over the line with seemingly endless pictures. Most of the time, I contact a mod and suggest these pictures have spoiler tags since they are not safe for work. In fact, sometimes they are already in tags with NSFW above them. Thank-you to you dudes who do that.
There is no way these pictures are going away altogether so I suggest you pick your battles and just ignore most of the pictures. Plus, don't make it personal by calling posters names; that's a fast track to a ban.
PM me if you want to know whom to contact about the egregious ones.
Shewasfly
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Shewasfly » Sun Nov 2, 2014 10:04 pm

kyphi wrote:
Shewasfly wrote:Hello. I'm a straight woman and I enjoy sports. I'd like to be able to talk about them on here from time to time without being subjected to sexist talk or have to look at random pictures of half naked women. I don't think men would be told to tolerate being in a space where they were talked about like objects or like they're inferior anymore than women should be asked to.

I've been here 10 yrs longer than you, and you do have a valid point. Realgm HAS become better with restrictions on pictures of scantily clad women. We have some globals who have women's backs on this matter. Plus, we now have spoiler tags which help also. But, and it's a big but, this is a sports' site and sports' culture does include scantily-clad women. It's everywhere; sex sells.

OK, then I should be able to do the same, as should other women posters. Again, as a woman I am sadly used to seeing women objectified, so its not just about the pictures themselves. I would bet my last dollar that in the Heat game thread that I'm referring to--that I'm sure you are aware of--the guys were alot more bothered by my pic than I was about theirs because they are not used to seeing their gender objectified like I am. And so they feel entitled to feel more justified about taking exception to my post than I do to theirs.

But all that said, when I post the same except with men, I do not expect mods to immediately delete my post because its not their taste. Their taste is not mine either, but I am told to suck it up and deal with it so why shouldn't they?

Most of these pictures are in game threads across RealGm and include pictures of that team's "dancers" as good luck charms.

This part makes sense if the pictures are actually of dancers. Restrictions need to be put in that this is what its kept to. I wouldn't have an issue with that, especially since they will at least have on team memorabilia. But if that restriction isn't made in game threads and women/gay men fans cannot begin to post the pictures that we like to see, that is clearly unfair.

There is no way these pictures are going away altogether so I suggest you pick your battles and just ignore most of the pictures. Plus, don't make it personal by calling posters names; that's a fast track to a ban.
PM me if you want to know whom to contact about the egregious ones.

Ask yourself why they have any right to be present in the game threads? Guys can make separate threads to post T&A all they want, why are they entitled to have them in game threads?
Shewasfly
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Shewasfly » Sun Nov 2, 2014 10:08 pm

kyphi wrote:Image

You go, girl,but don't go calling people morons, either.

Who called anyone a moron? What was said before that response was given?

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:Try the offtopic board for more pictures of males.

Why? The thread I am complaining about was a GAME THREAD.
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by kyphi » Mon Nov 3, 2014 4:31 am

"Morons" was used as an overall term for personal insults. I actually debated between that and maroons or idjits but don't know your posting style/age yet, so I decided to use a real word. sue me
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#9 » by Howard Mass » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:09 am

Shewasfly,

If you see any pictures or talk that you feel is inappropriate, just hit the ! button and The Moderators will look into it.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#10 » by El Turco » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:02 pm

Baiting
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,493

Post#11 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Nov 5, 2014 12:11 am

I also agree that there should be more pictures of unclothed men on here, here here!
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#12 » by blkout » Wed Nov 5, 2014 1:05 am

I only want to see pictures of unclothed men
Shewasfly
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Shewasfly » Wed Nov 5, 2014 1:50 am

See? Now aren't you guys glad I made this thread :nod:
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#14 » by Howard Mass » Sun Nov 9, 2014 9:27 pm

The GOTB jokers...............

RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,493

Post#15 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:30 am

Wow who said I was joking? SMH
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#16 » by Howard Mass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:45 am

This thread is done.

Shewasfly: If you have further questions or concerns, please let me know.

Return to Feedback and Suggestions